Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just Published - Canon Launches the EOS R Camera  (Read 12326 times)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Just Published - Canon Launches the EOS R Camera
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2018, 01:27:05 pm »

It's my opinion that those people who constantly upgrade and switch and chop and change have a real problem: they believe that camera X is going to impart unto them some magical quality so far missing in their visual makeup. Not gonna happen; save your pennies for something more realistic, not frustrating, and that probably makes you fat.

Rob
I was given an old Ricoh rangefinder by my father lots of years ago which was my starter camera.  First SLR was a Nikormat FTN which was perfectly fine for my purposes.  I waited on digital and then bought an early Nikon DSLR and had my old lenses adapted so they could be used with manual focus (I forget the model but I think it was a 6 megapixel model).  I then bought a D300 for it's better performance and finally a D810 when B&H was having a sale several years ago.  The only reason for me to be interested in mirrorless is the size/weight factor.  As we are traveling more in retirement, I'm more interested in a lighter weight camera/lens solution.  I hope I am smart enough to not accept a 'magical quality solution.'  My back however would be happy with a lighter camera load.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2018, 01:47:11 pm »

The question though is what you had done if the inside of your wallet looked the same as Bernard's... ;-)

If the inside of my wallet looked the same as Bernard's I wouldn't be wasting my time here!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2018, 02:36:22 pm »

So we should not expect any disclosure if a trip is paid for by a camera company?...

Why are even having this discussion? The disclosure WAS made, plus it is a legal requirement.

jeremyrh

« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2018, 02:41:31 pm »

So we should not expect any disclosure if a trip is paid for by a camera company?  I've been on the battle lines on this issue regarding journal articles from clinical trials sponsored by pharmaceutical companies and to not expect disclosure just won't fly these days.  W

It's ok, Alan - I'm sure all those drugs are kind of the same.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2018, 03:28:50 pm »

If Kevin would be in the position to prescribe those cameras and lenses the way docs do (i.e., at mostly third-party expense), and the consequences could be life threatening, I would also be clamoring for full disclosure ;)

Rob C

« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2018, 03:33:01 pm »

If the inside of my wallet looked the same as Bernard's I wouldn't be wasting my time here!

Huh, that's nothing: open mine and moths fly out! When the first bat does that too, I'll buy a new wallet.

;-)

barnuvious veranda

« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2018, 04:54:08 pm »

Tired of Canon's "just enough" updates after 14 digital years and still owning my great Nikon glass from my first 25 years of shooting film, I've been waiting with great interest for both of their highly-announced 'mirrorless' offerings. And now that they're unveiled, we have yet another one of Canon corporate-think's "just enough" (they think) offerings, and a new Nikon that I was REALLY hoping to be the smaller version of their D850, but has fallen short by one card slot and unremarkable eye/face AF. So I'll tread water with these beautiful Fuji APS-C jewels, hoping that Nikon actually releases a 'PRO' version very soon.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2018, 05:31:06 pm »

Two things I go by, avoid hospitals and take as few Rx drugs as possible!! :)

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2018, 07:40:56 pm »

The new 50mm f1.2 looks impressive as well as large. Over at dreview they have some f.1.2 samples. Very sharp.

Zathras

« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2019, 10:18:29 pm »

Simple. Kevin was invited to the Canon launch, but Nikon didn't bother to invite him. Could it be simpler than that?

My apologies (also for being so late replying). You are right. I just didn't search the site thoroughly enough? I am sorry for being kind of whiny there. I'll try to do better.

MMitchell

« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2019, 06:42:09 pm »

Simple. Kevin was invited to the Canon launch, but Nikon didn't bother to invite him. Could it be simpler than that?

Just speculating, that when M.R. introduced the "Hitler rants about the D3X" video from youtube in one of his video talks, maybe Nikon was offended?  The $8000 body-only introductory price was shocking to many people, and the fake Hitler rant might have upset Nikon not because of the dark humor, but because it raised a lot of eyebrows about that price.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up