Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Just Published - Canon Launches the EOS R Camera  (Read 12328 times)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Just Published - Canon Launches the EOS R Camera
« on: September 05, 2018, 08:03:24 am »

I just published an article on the launch of the NEW Canon EOS R camera.  I'm in Hawaii and will spend a few days shooting with this new camera.  Read the article and watch the video HERE
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Just Published - Canon Launches the EOS R Camera
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 10:05:03 am »

What does the “R” stand for?

Reflex?

miRRoR?

Retro (as in prior to mirrors)?

Luis M. Anibarro

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 10:17:07 am »

What does the “R” stand for?

Reflex?

miRRoR?

Retro (as in prior to mirrors)?

Should be an U for unwanted , same as Nikon  ;)

Zathras

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 11:28:06 am »

I just published an article on the launch of the NEW Canon EOS R camera.  I'm in Hawaii and will spend a few days shooting with this new camera.  Read the article and watch the video HERE

I'm curious why there would be zero coverage of the Nikon Z series, and then wham! Canon intros this new system and the place lights up and gets all excited. How could this serve users' needs when one system gets the cold shoulder while the other gets a top of the page accolade?

I say that as a user of Canon pro gear for the past 18 years. (21 years before that was Leica.) I don't like this kind of lack of balance. Not sure I can continue to support this site any more.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 11:31:10 am by Zathras »

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 11:37:31 am »

I'm curious why there would be zero coverage of the Nikon Z series, and then wham! Canon intros this new system and the place lights up and gets all excited...

You are mistaken. Check this out. The reasons for the apparent lack of coverage are quite simple.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 11:43:46 am »

I'm curious why there would be zero coverage of the Nikon Z series, and then wham! Canon intros this new system and the place lights up and gets all excited. How could this serve users' needs when one system gets the cold shoulder while the other gets a top of the page accolade?...

Simple. Kevin was invited to the Canon launch, but Nikon didn't bother to invite him. Could it be simpler than that?

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 01:06:38 pm »

I'm curious why there would be zero coverage of the Nikon Z series, and then wham! Canon intros this new system and the place lights up and gets all excited. How could this serve users' needs when one system gets the cold shoulder while the other gets a top of the page accolade?

I say that as a user of Canon pro gear for the past 18 years. (21 years before that was Leica.) I don't like this kind of lack of balance. Not sure I can continue to support this site any more.

You probably missed this:
https://luminous-landscape.com/rantatorial/my-thoughts-on-the-new-nikon-z6-and-z7-cameras/

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 01:35:01 pm »

You are mistaken. Check this out. The reasons for the apparent lack of coverage are quite simple.
i read:
"It seems that a long time ago, Nikon fell out of grace with Luminous-Landscape — or should I say, Luminous-Landscape fell out of the graces of Nikon. From what I heard, it was due to something Michael had said. Those of you who knew Michael know that he called it as he saw it, and I suppose he said something that Nikon didn’t like. I also wrote a story about Saying Goodbye to My Nikon when I made the switch to mirrorless years ago. Since then, we never hear from Nikon."

but now Canon invites you to a nice hotel in Hawaii for a few days and you don't like the camera for good reasons.
If you write about that in all honesty you know it will be your last Canon sponsored trip to Hawaii...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 04:14:21 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

wmdyer1

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 02:05:58 pm »

From the specs and reviews I've read, the Canon R mirrorless appears to be midway between the specs of the Nikon Z6 and Z7, other than the number of focus points. I'll wait a while to see long term reviews on both the Canon and Nikons. Right now I'm very happy with my D850 and D500 and have no desire to switch to a mirrorless system. I realize both Nikon and Canon needed to bring out mirrorless to compete with Sony, and that the future looks to be mirrorless. Change is inevitable. Let's hope it's a change for the better and not merely for the sake of change.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 02:06:11 pm »

but now Canon invites you to a nice hotel in Hawaii for a few days and you don't like the camera for good reasons.
If you write about that in all honesty you know it will be your last Canon sponsored trip to Hawaii...
Ideally all reviews should be done with purchased cameras/lenses/etc so that there is no apparent bias from factory provided equipment.  If otherwise there should be complete disclosure so that the reader has the opportunity to judge whether bias might be introduced.  The fact that LuLa was or was not invited to any sponsored event should be irrelevant.  We as contributors to LuLa (albeit a modest yearly fee) are owed this.  Whatever issues LuLa has had with Nikon (or any other manufacturer) over the years really should be irrelevant.  One only need look at the Nikon Mirrorless launch thread which is 45 pages or so to see what the interest.  Maybe the Canon thread approaches that we will need to wait and see.  There are some outstanding photographers who have been contributing to the Nikon forum that will be buying one of the Z cameras and I hope they publish thoughts and images so that field use can be judged.

Kevin has the right to interview whomever he wishes and that's fine with me.  I don't spend any time reading interviews with factory reps or watching videos about equipment that I will never purchase (either because of cost or lack of interest) and that's my choice and fine with me.  When LuLa ceases to be a resource people will leave, simple as that (though I would hope we won't see public announcements).

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 02:10:22 pm »

Oh well.  We mentioned there are hits and misses.  Many misses for sure.  Like a 1.7 crop factor on 4K video.  We are now trying to figure how we will use that today to do our videos.  More to come.

I did mention we bought the Nikon so we can review them.  And, most likely will have to do so with the Canon if we elect to pursue it further.  My day is gettings abetted here and I'll add more as I learn more.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 02:14:00 pm by Kevin Raber »
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Rado

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 05:39:44 pm »

Kevin are the RF lenses focus by wire?

Frodo

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 06:54:43 pm »

My sense is that they are focus by wire.  There is no distance scale on the lenses (which for me is a problem - I often focus manually and set the distance).  And I saw a menu option where focusing ring sensitivity was adjustable.

ski542002

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2018, 07:03:22 pm »

Have shot Canon since 1971 (showing my age!).  FD, then EOS film, then digital.  Got into mirrorless and I love many of the features of that design (weight is of no concern to me).  I waited until Sony released bodies with TWO card slots, and now I have the A7RIII & A7III.  Sold my Canon bodies, kept the lenses but I don't use on the Sony.  Had hoped to some day get back into Canon and this mirrorless body seems killer.  Then I find out it only has one card slot.  Any pro that shoots an assignment with that shortcoming is playing Russian roulette.  IF/when they have a card take a dump, they'll find the funds to buy into a system with built in redundancy.  I just can't understand the mindset of a "pro-centric" manufacturer (incl. Nikon), that would omit this necessary feature on any new camera release, especially geared towards a pro. 

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2018, 08:08:31 pm »

Even if it is not a substitute for dual card, use uncompressed raw + jpeg as you will have more changes to recover your images if the card has issues.

DP

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2018, 08:47:05 pm »

Sold my Canon bodies, kept the lenses but I don't use on the Sony
An why not ?

ski542002

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2018, 11:15:50 pm »

I found the AF response using adapted lenses to not be anywhere near as responsive as native.  Using my 70-200F4L lens on the Sony, I must use single shot af & advance.  I found it virtually impossible to track moving subjects without massive focus hunting.  For certain applications, it's great, but I need to be shooting with it under the proper circumstances. I don't shoot sports, so it's not the worse case scenario. Will say, it's plenty sharp and the IS stability is fantastic. Still keeping the Canon lenses.  I'm thinking the next "pro" iteration of the Canon R will have dual card slots.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2018, 11:38:52 pm »

Kevin are the RF lenses focus by wire?
They have to be since you can reverse the focus ring direction via custom settings.

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2018, 04:38:27 am »

Kevin has the right to interview whomever he wishes and that's fine with me.  1. I don't spend any time reading interviews with factory reps or watching videos about equipment that I will never purchase (either because of cost or lack of interest) and that's my choice and fine with me.  2. When LuLa ceases to be a resource people will leave, simple as that (though I would hope we won't see public announcements).

Hi Alan,

1. I skim through, only out of interest in keeping some idea of what's happening.

2. LuLa's value as resource lies, for me, in its readership: I have had a lot of help with things to do with digital image processing, as I have had on the moral level at some critical moments in my life when I have felt photographically very flat and down.

That makes the readership input very valuable.

If I have a complaint, it's that so few readers seem willing to engage in the non-tech aspects of photography and why it matters to them; I have always found the people in photography at least as interesting as their work. I can't name a single photographer, male or female, whose work I admire, who has not also piqued my interest in their personality. After all, that's what makes them the photographers they are/were.

Hardware is just, well, hardware. Thousands own the same stuff but get totally different levels of success or failure with it.

So yeah, it's the people not the materials that are the juice. For me.

bjanes

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2018, 06:34:40 am »

i read:

Ideally all reviews should be done with purchased cameras/lenses/etc so that there is no apparent bias from factory provided equipment.  If otherwise there should be complete disclosure so that the reader has the opportunity to judge whether bias might be introduced.  The fact that LuLa was or was not invited to any sponsored event should be irrelevant. 

In the interest of full disclosure and transparency, it would be of interest to know who footed the bill for this excursion to Hawaii--travel expense, hotel room, dinners and refreshments. These factors could bias the reporting.

Bill
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up