Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panasonic to enter the FF mirrorless market?  (Read 6370 times)

shadowblade

Re: Panasonic to enter the FF mirrorless market?
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2018, 06:06:07 am »

Global shutter would also make strobists like me love the camera. Bye bye flash sync speed. I hope to see it one day in all cameras.

I'd expect it in the A9ii. They have the technology, it would be ideal for an action camera designed to mainly use electronic shitter, and, given that 25fps isn't a huge step up from 20fps and the A9ii will be due around the time of the Tokyo Olympics, it would improve its output for 8k video. Even if the early-generation technology hurts base ISO DR a bit, that isn't such a big issue for an action camera anyway; later-generation technology that doesn't sacrifice DR will probably find its way into high-resolution bodies for strobe work, and eventually all sensors, to do away with mechanical shutters entirely.

Rado

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2018, 06:42:43 am »

I don't how Panasonic plans to price its new FF model but I suspect it will be several years before the global shutter technology trickles down to something I can afford.

BJL

Panasonic to enter the FF mirrorless market? With a good global shutter?
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2018, 04:15:37 pm »

I'd expect it in the A9ii. They have the technology, it would be ideal for an action camera designed to mainly use electronic shitter, and, given that 25fps isn't a huge step up from 20fps and the A9ii will be due around the time of the Tokyo Olympics, it would improve its output for 8k video. Even if the early-generation technology hurts base ISO DR a bit, that isn't such a big issue for an action camera anyway; later-generation technology that doesn't sacrifice DR will probably find its way into high-resolution bodies for strobe work, and eventually all sensors, to do away with mechanical shutters entirely.
Could be. One thing to note though is that Panasonic has already announced a new global shutter technology that does not hurt DR at base ISO speed because it does not half the full well capacity as previous approaches do. AFAIK, Sony does not yet have this capability (but is surely working on it). Panasonic's approach has the promise to make the mechanical shutter obsolescent, including ending the need for leaf shutters to get high speed flash sync.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2018, 07:11:32 pm »

Yes, Panasonic appears to have taken a rather significant lead over pretty much everybody else.

Sony appears to be going for a brute force approach with massive read out parallelization but their latest announcement was hinting at the fact that they were pretty far from resolutions/energy consumption compatible with SLR usage.

Cheers,
Bernard

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2018, 08:56:58 pm »

If Panasonic has global shutter tech developed to the point where it is ready for release, I would expect to see it in video camera before a still camera. The cost increment would be smaller, so it wouldn’t be quite such a premium camera, and there are no other options in that arena, as mechanical shutters just aren’t available. And the experience in video would advance the tech for still cameras down the line.

business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

Dan Wells

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2018, 01:53:29 am »

As far as I know, the highest standard for minimum write speed on a SD card is V90 (90 megabytes per second). To achieve 1 gigabit per second would require something on the order of V150 (120 megabytes per second, as Davidgp says, plus a bit of a buffer). Most of the speed claims beyond V90 are read speed only, and the cards that claim higher write speeds (the Sony David linked to, plus top cards from several other manufacturers) don't guarantee it as a minimum - several cards claiming hundreds of megabytes per second don't carry any certifications beyond U3 - they only guarantee 30 megabytes per second sustained, although they have a much higher burst capability. Again, as far as I know, the only standard media that is capable of that kind of write speed is XQD. CFExpress, a forthcoming descendent of XQD, will be even faster, easily capable of handling even 4K RAW video, although capacity will be a problem...

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2018, 03:11:53 am »

As far as I know, the highest standard for minimum write speed on a SD card is V90 (90 megabytes per second). To achieve 1 gigabit per second would require something on the order of V150 (120 megabytes per second, as Davidgp says, plus a bit of a buffer). Most of the speed claims beyond V90 are read speed only, and the cards that claim higher write speeds (the Sony David linked to, plus top cards from several other manufacturers) don't guarantee it as a minimum - several cards claiming hundreds of megabytes per second don't carry any certifications beyond U3 - they only guarantee 30 megabytes per second sustained, although they have a much higher burst capability. Again, as far as I know, the only standard media that is capable of that kind of write speed is XQD. CFExpress, a forthcoming descendent of XQD, will be even faster, easily capable of handling even 4K RAW video, although capacity will be a problem...

Hi, they can not garante bigger speeds because SD standard does not have bigger speeds... they need to say that it is the minimum because many SD cards readers won’t go beyond that. But if the camera supports it, they can reach it... if not will be imposible to clear the buffer of the A9 as quick as it does with one of these...

http://dgpfotografia.com
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up