Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: "Photography Composition: The Definitive Guide"  (Read 17462 times)

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
Re: "Photography Composition: The Definitive Guide"
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2018, 08:30:29 am »

...Because one may have it in one sphere does not imply one may have it in any other, so a sense of a broader superiority can be very misplaced indeed...

Absolutely.

I give thanks to the Gods that from a very early age I had a passion for image making and could see no other way forward. The truth is without that passion I'd have been lost and no doubt a looser.

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2018, 09:11:41 am »

Wait, someone thinks that baking doesn't benefit from algorithms?  That you just randomly experiment until you get it right rather than being taught very clearly by more experienced chefs or cooks about ratios of ingredients and temperatures and so on?

What a lot of nonsense.

Yes, yes, that would be nonsense. Which is why nobody said that.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2018, 10:13:48 am »

...I don't remember her ever being taught how to cook anything - and she was only fifteen years old...

If one thinks that teaching how to cook only starts after the age of 15... How about age six? My daughter also had cooking classes in middle and even high school. But I am sure that today, when she prepares something tasty, she would attribute that to her... talent ;)

Btw, every one of us has used algorithmized cooking, even when putting a frozen meal into a microwave: it is known as "instructions for use" on the back of the box. Follow it and you won't stay hungry that night. Or you can use your talent and guess the time and temperature... delivery is just a phone call away ;)

Rob C

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2018, 10:17:25 am »

:-)

Rob C

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2018, 10:26:23 am »

If one thinks that teaching how to cook only starts after the age of 15... How about age six? My daughter also had cooking classes in middle and even high school. But I am sure that today, when she prepares something tasty, she would attribute that to her... talent ;)

Btw, every one of us has used algorithmized cooking, even when putting a frozen meal into a microwave: it is known as "instructions for use" on the back of the box. Follow it and you won't stay hungry that night. Or you can use your talent and guess the time and temperature... delivery is just a phone call away ;)

Well, I have never met your daughter, Slobodan, and so for me to comment would be foolish. As I didn't meet my wife before I met my wife, that period will forever be shrouded in mystery. Having said which, she told me she used to spend summer holidays working in her Dad's office doing duodecimals etc. (he had a surveying business, and she was disappointed when he discouraged her from it as career; no country for fine ladies, apparently) after that, she turned to chemistry. And to me, thank goodness!

I don't imagine she spent much time at the cooker with Mum; that would have meant two summer jobs!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2018, 10:27:00 am »

Early onset of dementia much?

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2018, 10:36:29 am »

Early onset of dementia much?

I know this is the internutz, but could we here at LuLa perhaps recalibrate to a more civil form of discourse?
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rob C

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2018, 10:41:41 am »

I know this is the internutz, but could we here at LuLa perhaps recalibrate to a more civil form of discourse?

Even better: how about some more pictures from you?

Rob

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2018, 10:42:39 am »

What I said was, of course, more complicated and subtle than "baking doesn't benefit from algorithms" but on the Internet the standard method of discourse is to read whatever the other fellow said in the stupidest possible way, dropping words, ideas, and paragraphs as necessary, and then respond as if the other fellow said that stupid thing.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2018, 10:50:36 am »

Paraphrasing from memory something that is attributed to various jazz musicians and in various forms... I remember this one as attributed to Miles Davis:

"First, learn everything there is to learn about jazz... then forget it all and play until you are dizzy."

It seems to me that some of you guys want to skip the first part and jump straight to the forgetting part. Or you are so far from the first part, years-wise, that you forgot it ever existed.

My interpretation is that people here are saying this:

Learn all there is to learn about composition by example, not by rules. Avoid the rules like the plague. Learning composition is like learning language. The rules, even as mere guidelines, don't help one iota in forming comprehensible sentences, and certainly not in forming meaningful poetry.

Regards,
~ O ~

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2018, 10:52:15 am »

... on the Internet the standard method of discourse is to read whatever the other fellow said in the stupidest possible way, dropping words, ideas, and paragraphs as necessary, and then respond as if the other fellow said that stupid thing.

Which is exactly what happened to the OP.

Rob C

« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2018, 10:54:46 am »

What I said was, of course, more complicated and subtle than "baking doesn't benefit from algorithms" but on the Internet the standard method of discourse is to read whatever the other fellow said in the stupidest possible way, dropping words, ideas, and paragraphs as necessary, and then respond as if the other fellow said that stupid thing.

Regarding LuLa though, it's not as bad today as it used to be some years ago: there were people who, to my best guess, didn't ever read the PO and just leaped in with their flame throwers on. Most seem to have been fired (no pun etc.) or just left of their own accord as natural wastage.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2018, 10:54:57 am »

Even better: how about some more pictures from you?

Rob

Just me? I miss some from most participants here, including you Rob. Give me some dark industrials to grind my teeth on. And Slobodan: more architectural oversaturation please. Keith, do that Leica thing.

That 'll teach them composition.

Rules? Yeah, LuLa rules, if we manage to stop the bickering.
Regards,
~ O ~

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2018, 10:55:35 am »

My interpretation is that people here are saying this:

Learn all there is to learn about composition by example, not by rules. Avoid the rules like the plague. Learning composition is like learning language. The rules, even as mere guidelines, don't help one iota in forming comprehensible sentences, and certainly not in forming meaningful poetry.

You are correct, some people here are saying that. Some other people here are fighting that notion like the plague.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2018, 10:58:24 am »

...And Slobodan: more architectural oversaturation please...

Now I am hurt ;)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2018, 11:52:59 am »

... Learning composition is like learning language. The rules, even as mere guidelines, don't help one iota in forming comprehensible sentences, and certainly not in forming meaningful poetry.

You sure about that?

As someone who speaks five languages (however elementary), Slavic, Romance, and Germanic, I can assure you that knowing linguistic rules surely helps in forming comprehensible sentences.

As for poetry... try haiku without following the rules.

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2018, 11:56:58 am »

My point, which to be honest I have already stated clearly, is that "rules" are at best a starting point, and are certainly not the endpoint.

Secondarily, much of what passes for "rules" in photographic circles are outright nonsense.

The Rule of Thirds is essentially saying that you can reliably make a delicious cookie by simply adding salt to eggs until a stiff dough results, and then baking this at 7000 degrees for 10 seconds.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2018, 12:37:15 pm »

My point, which to be honest I have already stated clearly, is that "rules" are at best a starting point, and are certainly not the endpoint...

Where?

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2018, 12:41:44 pm »

Where?

I will not be drawn into an endless circle jerk of quoting myself with expanding remarks. Read what I wrote.

Also, your intent is clear. It is to waste my time, to provoke, to irritate. Are you planning to grow up some day, or is this pretty much just it?

ETA: You know what, I'm just muting you. Nothing personal, but I shan't be responding to you further.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2018, 12:56:34 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up