Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Photography Composition: The Definitive Guide"  (Read 17395 times)

Rob C

Re: "Photography Composition: The Definitive Guide"
« Reply #160 on: August 18, 2018, 07:00:38 am »

There you go, Rob, all that angst over all those years of shooting models in the great outdoors when all you really needed was a simple diagram!

Ivo, just kidding.

;-)

I know, Keith; I progressed along the geometry guide as far as using a checked screen - sometimes. However, as I also needed to use the split-image "tool" most of the time, I was ever caught with a foot either side of the volcanic divide: Nikon didn't make the combination for fast lenses, though nobody ever told me why. What a pity Garry wasn't around to help me!

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #161 on: August 20, 2018, 12:10:21 pm »

Interesting discussion and crossing of swords :)

I sometimes provoke my workshop students by saying that composition is the most overrated concept in photography!

What do I mean by that? Basically even the best composed photograph does not spark any interest in viewers (IMHO) unless there is some content that sparks the interest. Composition is just presentation. Technique, the technical taking of the picture is a given and can occupy many soles and some seem to think this is very important. It is, but it does not make a photo. Similar with composition. It is important but does not make the photo. Content does and for e.g. landscape photography, the content is the landscape with the light, the visual objects that the photographer would like to show to the viewer. Composition is the arrangement of the visual objects inside the frame. Basically the presentation and the content is what the photographer sees and gets awed by so he wants to compose a shot. Even a lesser composed shot can be way more interesting than a perfectly composed shot of something uninteresting. Some may include more or less in what composition is.

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #162 on: August 20, 2018, 01:14:16 pm »

One of this nice books is a post WWII (1945) Dutch School book: "Compositieleer in de fotografie" Composition theory in Photography.

Hilarious!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up