Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: This used to be….  (Read 3827 times)

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
Re: This used to be….
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2018, 06:30:47 am »

Today, the final destination - unless I get ripped off - is my website, where I can flip through stuff whenever I want too, marvel at my own major and minor miracles and feel much better than I did before I peeped! (Is that also mental masturbation, he asked?)

Geesh, Rob, I wish that could work for me. You'll not find my images on my walls in my house. In 50+ years I've made two images that would bear my repeated viewing. My drive is the hope I'll make that three.

Eat yer heart out, Van Gogh.

;-(

Rob C

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2018, 07:12:42 am »

Geesh, Rob, I wish that could work for me. You'll not find my images on my walls in my house. In 50+ years I've made two images that would bear my repeated viewing. My drive is the hope I'll make that three.

Eat yer heart out, Van Gogh.

;-(

Keith, you are too hard on yourself; I could go to your site and point out many such images that make me wish I'd made 'em!

Looking ahead to the next image is fine, but that doesn't mean that those guys who used to say "my best shot is the one I'm going to make next" are right! Bailey says that six or seven a year is good going; that's on his Richter Scale, but mine is calibrated to a different pitch! Hence, my measurement of Earth-moving delights is equally subjective, with the multiplicity of "major and minor miracles" spread over a lifetime!

The more I think about Vincent, the more sad I become. All that fame and wealth so, so bloody posthumously! I don't suppose his brother got anything out of it either... You can't rely on the myth of fairness, despite the many people who turn it into party politics, poor sods. It's just a human device to compensate for personal failures, as I am perfectly aware. It is what it is, life. Until we can select parents, at least.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 07:22:21 am by Rob C »

KLaban

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2018, 07:31:40 am »

I've often thought of starting a thread with the title Give us your best shot, an open thread inviting contributors to share what they consider to be their favourite shot and also share the thinking behind their choice. The obvious problem is it would be limited to one shot per contributor and it's not beyond imagination that many would fear being called out on their choice.

Rob, my problem with repeated viewing is I inevitably see those shortcomings that preclude the images qualifying for such a thread.

Hey ho.

Rob C

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2018, 08:02:47 am »

I've often thought of starting a thread with the title Give us your best shot, an open thread inviting contributors to share what they consider to be their favourite shot and also share the thinking behind their choice. The obvious problem is it would be limited to one shot per contributor and it's not beyond imagination that many would fear being called out on their choice.

Rob, my problem with repeated viewing is I inevitably see those shortcomings that preclude the images qualifying for such a thread.

Hey ho

Yes, a tough call to make, especially as opinion of relative worth switches, depending on mood, circumstances and surroundings!

Even more difficult is reverse-rationalisation, possibly months after the emotion of the event. Unless one is totally trapped within a very tight definition of genre - which I think has value - then there's the added problem of exactly that: genre.

I think I could do it with calendar photography, which in my own case has been much preoccupied with what has been going down within the distant Pirelli world; let's give it a whirl and see where it goes!

Rob

P.S.

Done! See CC.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 08:25:09 am by Rob C »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2018, 09:21:14 am »

... Tell me about that inner fire, it’s not fun! It’s a frigging battle to overcome disappointment after disappointment to finally be utterly insecure about the outcome. But hell, yeah, that why I do things...

Nicely put  :)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2018, 09:25:16 am »

Yes, a tough call to make, especially as opinion of relative worth switches, depending on mood, circumstances and surroundings!

And time. What do you do if you've posted what you've identified as your best shot, and then a year later shoot something you believe is a world above your earlier choice? If you've posted the earlier picture on your own web it's not a problem, but if you've posted it on Keith's "My Best Shot" web..?
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2018, 10:18:06 am »

And time. What do you do if you've posted what you've identified as your best shot, and then a year later shoot something you believe is a world above your earlier choice? If you've posted the earlier picture on your own web it's not a problem, but if you've posted it on Keith's "My Best Shot" web..?

Return to it, and edit.

Remember, eligibility require explanation-with-pìcture! It's the rule!

Rob

Ivophoto

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2018, 10:24:26 am »

I like the ideas you put forward, Ivo. I also like the way that when you make a direct link to something I have penned, it instantly shows me my frequent typos, typos that I obviously never see whan I check before posting. Quite amazing, that.

Not sure how to understand this. Do I have to quote differently? No bad means on my side.
About typos, at least you recognize them, I’m already happy I can communicate in something that resembles to a kind of English.

RSL

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2018, 10:26:01 am »

You do English fine, Ivo.

Rob C

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2018, 10:58:55 am »

Not sure how to understand this. Do I have to quote differently? No bad means on my side.
About typos, at least you recognize them, I’m already happy I can communicate in something that resembles to a kind of English.

Absolutely not! It just shows me how differently I see what I write when I write it, compared with how I see it when it is quoted in another post. Nothing wrong on your part at all - it's all about my own perception of the way things look in print, and how easily typing errors slip right past me! Mea culpa in every sense of it!

KLaban

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2018, 11:04:23 am »

Russ, we are constantly adding to our portfolios, I don't think it's beyond the scope of the thread to allow a contributor to update their choice with a fresh post.

Thoughts?

Ivophoto

This used to be….
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2018, 11:52:50 am »

I like the ideas you put forward, Ivo. I also like the way that when you make a direct link to something I have penned, it instantly shows me my frequent typos, typos that I obviously never see whan I check before posting. Quite amazing, that.

To print or not to print.

For a while, I used to buy Hahnemeuhle (I always have to check the spelling) papers and print what I though worth the cost.

;-)

I use Hahnemühle Bamboo. Great paper.

I first used Hahnemühles photorag. It took me serious effort to get the profile correct, but eventually it worked out.
And then, Hahnemühle took over Harman and I had to buy in more photorag in the middle of a series of prints and the new badge turned out not to be the original Photorag I was used hence the profile became worthless.

After extensive communication with Hahnemühle and sending test strips they admitted they had to change the recipe due to unavailable raw materials. Fair enough. (I still think they swapped the Photorag for a cheaper to produce Harman sibling)
Hahnemühle sent me samples of all fine art paper and after I found Bamboo the most what I liked (to be honest, I like it more than the original photorag) they send me two A3+ 50pc packs free of charge. AND they’ve created a custom made profile for my printers (Epson 7600 and 2100)

What a service.

The 7600 is retired and because my workflow with the Bamboo in the old 2100 is so spot on, I ‘m not very enthusiast to buy a new printer. Tough I should, the 2100 is obsolete as a Ford T and the ink cartridges are filled with liquid gold.

RSL

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2018, 02:25:03 pm »

Russ, we are constantly adding to our portfolios, I don't think it's beyond the scope of the thread to allow a contributor to update their choice with a fresh post.

Thoughts?

I think that would do it, Keith. In my own case I don't think it matters much. Until the wretched Florida summer's over I won't be able to get anywhere to do street, and it's too damn hot to do landscape. So until things improve I'll write short stories. I don't think one of those can go into this thread.

Rob C

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2018, 05:43:36 pm »

I think that would do it, Keith. In my own case I don't think it matters much. Until the wretched Florida summer's over I won't be able to get anywhere to do street, and it's too damn hot to do landscape. So until things improve I'll write short stories. I don't think one of those can go into this thread.

It's no better here: last week we went to lunch and when we got back to the car, it read 45 degrees. No wonder animals left in cars in this weather can die! Once we got underway again, it fell back to 34 degrees, which is okay. The problem isn't so much the heat as the humidity. My wife fell in a faint on a trip to Key West, and being used to here, that was surprising, but the humidity was worse. One of our models did the same in Singapore, but anything goes there - except chewing gum.

;-)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up