Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: This used to be….  (Read 3821 times)

jensputzier

This used to be….
« on: August 04, 2018, 12:35:34 am »

Chiloquin, OR.

Ivophoto

This used to be….
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 03:02:39 am »

Chiloquin, OR.

Good composition. The electric pôle cuts the frame on an interesting spot.
I would have given more view on the left, but that’s a personal choice.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: This used to be….
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 06:04:57 am »

Right, Ivo. That way you'd get in more street, making it more a street photo.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 07:56:50 am »

I like the geometry of this just as it is.
Good catch.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 10:26:29 am »

Right, Ivo. That way you'd get in more street, making it more a street photo.

Well, they keep telling us photography is "fun".

I'd always believed and hoped it was so much more.

:-)

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 10:58:23 am »

Whatever it is, take the fun out of it and it is so much less.

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 11:13:03 am »

Whatever it is, take the fun out of it and it is so much less.

Mathematically, I guess, that depends on the constitution of the compound. I vaguely remember something called chemical arithmetic, but that's probably been replaced by digital now.

As with sex, algorithms do it better. Or is that algorhythms?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 11:16:26 am by Rob C »

Ivophoto

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 12:33:39 pm »

Mental acidification is fun biggest enemy. Not a picture in color without peoples.
🤫

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 12:47:03 pm »

Has a New Topographics feel. Nicely done (short of sensor dirt ;) )

Ivophoto

This used to be….
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 01:30:58 pm »

Well, they keep telling us photography is "fun".

I'd always believed and hoped it was so much more.

Hm, the pretended much more is sometimes dangerously close to intellectual masturbation.

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2018, 03:51:42 pm »

Hm, the pretended much more is sometimes dangerously close to intellectual masturbation.

Well, they'll say that the intellectual ones keep it quiet, on the grounds that if they show signs of intelligence, then they are likely to be besieged by the rest, asking them to solve problems for them.

It's the origin of the things about hiding one's light under a bushel, no resting for the wicked, the burning of books etc. In other words, be a public idiot and the fans will cheer. It's why some need a place to be away from everything else, the opportunity to relax and just be.

However, with photography, unless there's more to it than "fun", there's a good chance that there is no intellect there to pleasure in the first place. Given a choice, I'd ride with my original belief.

Anyway, isn't that inner glow of achievement just another form of self-inflicted pleasure, whether in football, finance or photography? All is vanity, even failure.

KLaban

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2018, 03:59:53 pm »

Personally speaking there's far more to it than just fun, but without that fun I doubt I'd do it.

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2018, 05:15:40 pm »

Personally speaking there's far more to it than just fun, but without that fun I doubt I'd do it.

But did Vinnie van G have any fun?

I suppose, on and off, there must have been, but what percentage was blind faith to the mistress, she with the promise of better luck next time?

But then, as you know, there is commitment and there is commitment. Funny thing (no pun etc.) is, I can't really remember thinking of pro life as being fun, but certainly parts of it were pleasurable in the extreme. On the other hand, I have yet to determine what I get out of if all today, apart from knowing that it preserves a portion of sanity - maybe it has become therapy of sorts?

Fun strikes me as such a strange concept; much as the word nice, which tells one nothing at all. Does one have fun making love; is it merely nice or is it a sense of duty to the future or is it something for which there really is no word? Is it all of those things with a flash of fear thrown in for zest?

I guess that 23:12 is not the best time to worry about it.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 04:47:48 am by Rob C »

KLaban

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2018, 05:46:13 pm »

Vincent van Gogh on Prozac RobC on Prozac

;-)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 05:55:44 pm by KLaban »

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2018, 08:36:20 pm »

Vincent van Gogh on Prozac RobC on Prozac

;-)
+100!   :D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Ivophoto

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2018, 02:10:53 am »

Ivophoto

This used to be….
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2018, 02:20:05 am »

I suppose, on and off, there must have been, but what percentage was blind faith to the mistress, she with the promise of better luck next time?

But then, as you know, there is commitment and there's is commitment. Funny thing (no pun etc.) is, I can't really remember thinking of pro life as being fun, but certainly parts of it were pleasurable in the extreme. On the other hand, I have yet to determine what I get out of if all today, apart from knowing that it preserves a portion of sanity - maybe it has become therapy of sorts?

Fun strikes me as such a strange concept; much as the word nice, which tells one nothing at all. Does one have fun making love; is it merely nice or is it a sense of duty to the future or is it something for which there really is no word? Is it all of those things with a flash of fear thrown in for zest?

I guess that 23:12 is not the best time to worry about it.

‘Nice’ and ‘fun’ is just ‘not’

A ‘nice’ picture is just ‘not’

‘Nice’ is what they say about the ugly fiancé. But she’s ‘nice’.

There is nothing wrong with someone making ‘nice’ photos or nice paintings or nice ceramics or nice poems. But goddamned, don’t fill every square meter exposition wall with it.

Tell me about that inner fire, it’s not fun! It’s a frigging battle to overcome disappointment after disappointment to finally be utterly insecure about the outcome. But hell, yeah, that why I do things.

Eat that, Van Gogh on Prozac.
🤪🤪

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2018, 03:14:58 am »

I'm reluctant to involve real artists in the discussion about photo's.

There is not much craft left in photography as it is these days. Even the final subject, the print (if there is a print), is most of the time a cheap paper spitted out a cheap inkjet with refill inkt.

I wonder how much of the so called 'fine art' images here on LULA are effectively craft-full finished in a skillful and well executed proper presented print. Prints on good material, printed in consideration with the place where it will hang, skillfully mounted, etc etc. I guess: 0% and I accept 0,5% error in my estimate.

Do we, photographers, have a so called art-form without the craft and lies the art in the cerebral effort to find the right moment to push the button? Or is it in the preparation, the set up, the organization of the props and models,....?

Sometimes I feel photography is a self indulged medium, and photographers an exponent of it, and it has nothing to do with art. A nice tool to grab what is there or snap something put in scene, with the attitude of 'art' and the nature of fake.

(speaking about intellectual masturbation,....... Tsss)

KLaban

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2018, 04:40:23 am »

I've known many angst ridden miserable sods of artists who relish suffering for their art only to produce nice.

But hey, lets get those tissues out and have a joint curmudgeon fest in the hopes it will feed our creative juices.

;-) 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 04:50:26 am by KLaban »

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2018, 05:38:12 am »

I'm reluctant to involve real artists in the discussion about photo's.

There is not much craft left in photography as it is these days. Even the final subject, the print (if there is a print), is most of the time a cheap paper spitted out a cheap inkjet with refill inkt.

I wonder how much of the so called 'fine art' images here on LULA are effectively craft-full finished in a skillful and well executed proper presented print. Prints on good material, printed in consideration with the place where it will hang, skillfully mounted, etc etc. I guess: 0% and I accept 0,5% error in my estimate.

Do we, photographers, have a so called art-form without the craft and lies the art in the cerebral effort to find the right moment to push the button? Or is it in the preparation, the set up, the organization of the props and models,....?

Sometimes I feel photography is a self indulged medium, and photographers an exponent of it, and it has nothing to do with art. A nice tool to grab what is there or snap something put in scene, with the attitude of 'art' and the nature of fake.

(speaking about intellectual masturbation,....... Tsss)

I like the ideas you put forward, Ivo. I also like the way that when you make a direct link to something I have penned, it instantly shows me my frequent typos, typos that I obviously never see whan I check before posting. Quite amazing, that.

To print or not to print.

For a while, I used to buy Hahnemeuhle (I always have to check the spelling) papers and print what I though worth the cost. I even had illusions of selling stuff and financing my "fun" that way. In the end, HP stopped supporting my printer and, after I raged at them for a couple of years, I realised they'd actually done me a huge, money-saving favour: there was suddenly no need to grow the stack of cardboard boxes enclosing beautiful prints, archivally stored in invisible polyester print sleeves. Silverprint 0: Rob C 1. I won!

Today, the final destination - unless I get ripped off - is my website, where I can flip through stuff whenever I want too, marvel at my own major and minor miracles and feel much better than I did before I peeped! (Is that also mental masturbation, he asked?)

Yeah, I think the photographic artform has changed; it used to be about craft, both at the shooting and the printing or lightbox stages. Today, much of the shooting skill is in defeating the camera's intentions and taming it to allow you to retain mastery of the situation. After that, you slip into the zone where you sit on your ass and repeat and repeat and repeat until you get to what you want. There is no penalty for not knowing what you do; it simply doesn't matter anymore (that Mr Holly still gets everywhere) because you can switch off, go and sit on the can or just have a cup of tea - hopefully, not both at the same time; you can go out for lunch or even cook it, if creativity is your thing, and even go on holiday and, unless the computer dies of loneliness in your absence, not a thing will have changed, no solutions will have gone off, no temperatures will have dropped - or gone up - and suddenly, as now, you get to that Damascene moment when you say hey, isn't that just like sculpture and drawing?

I submit that all art is self-indulgence. The sane mind only does it because of that drive, the drive that comes with its own reward even when nobody else wants to offer glittering prizes and open cheques... if that desire isn't there, I see no purpose to any of it because, as a business, for example, it is amongst the most difficult and the least financially rewarding - for most people doing it. As hobby, what do you get if not a rare ego-stroke? Nothing at all, beyond delusion. Frankly, better reading a good book than producing lousy pictures that only your mother or sister can bear to say are Great. (It's what sisters and mothers often have to do. It accounts for the rise in gin sales since the advent of digital cameras. In the UK, gin sales have rocketed of late, which may or may not be directly linked to mirrorless camera sales.)

Oh well, time for coffee before having a shower and making myself presentable for lunch. I don't want to smell like the other person's fish.

;-)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 05:41:47 am by Rob C »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up