Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: Trump III - the daily log  (Read 37221 times)

stamper

Re: Trump III - the daily log
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2018, 10:00:53 am »

I posted in another thread that Trump said he's going to impose tariffs on $500 billion of Chinese goods.  That's to send a signal to EU trade honcho Junker before he arrives to negotiate trade with us.  If negotiations fail, Trump will impose tariffs on EU cars before Junker's jet lands back in Europe.  CEO's from German car makers are probably talking right now to Merkel telling her to tel Junker to drop the 10% EU tariff on our cars.

Trump's in full attack mode.  He doesn't like the way he's being treated after his meeting with Russia.  I think he made a decision after Republican Congress failed to repeal Obamacare, that he was on his own and would do what he has to do with or without support from the political classes including Republicans.  If Republicans refuse to go along with him then they will lose their seats.  He won;t help them in fact oppose them if they don;t support him.  Red state Republicans will acquiesce.

You are stating that he is a leader without backing? That makes him a dictator.....then again the world knows that.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2018, 10:14:29 am »

Regarding Russia, no former American president has been tougher on them.  Of course he makes nice with Putin.  That's his style.  Good cop, bad cop.  He did that at the NATO and G7 conferences, with Japan's Abe, NK Kim, and China's Xi.  He was like that thirty years ago.  I use to watch him and was impressed with how he did it.  He'd fire someone for incompetence and then praise what great people they were.  He could hold both feelings at the same time.  I was impressed.  I find that very difficult to do. 

Getting back to Russia, here's an article from NPR (National Public Radio), not exactly a conservative pro-Trump outlet.

"When you actually look at the substance of what this administration has done, not the rhetoric but the substance, this administration has been much tougher on Russia than any in the post-Cold War era," said Daniel Vajdich, senior fellow at the Atlantic Council"

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/20/630659379/is-trump-the-toughest-ever-on-russia

-Trump sought to add $1.4 billion for fiscal year 2018 to the European Reassurance Initiative — a military effort to deter Russian aggression. That's a 41 percent increase from the last year of the Obama administration.

-The president also agreed to send lethal weapons to Ukraine — a step that Obama resisted.

- Trump gave U.S. forces in Syria more leeway to engage with Russian troops.  In one engagement American forces killed 200 Russians troops.

-Trump also imposed sanctions on dozens of Russian oligarchs and government officials.

- Trump has aggressively promoted U.S. energy exports against Russia causing them to lower prices on their gas and oil and make less profits.

- Trump agreed to expel 60 Russians — diplomats and suspected intelligence agents — last year in retaliation for the suspected poisoning of an ex-spy in Britain.  Germany expelled three.

-He sent deadly weapons to Ukraine although reluctantly because he felt Europe should do it.  It's in their back yard.

In any case.  You don't read about these things because the Democrats and liberal media hate him.  The feckless Republicans don;t know how to fight back so go along with them.  What a bunch of cowards. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2018, 10:20:19 am »

You are stating that he is a leader without backing? That makes him a dictator.....then again the world knows that.

He was elected by the people of the US.  That's his backing.  Senators and COngressmen don't vote for the president. It's Congress's job as the first branch of government (the president and the supreme court are the other two branches) to act as a balance against the president.  So it's perfectly acceptable for them to oppose him.  In fact that was the founders of our constitution intent when they created the 3 branches of government.  We're different then in a parliamentary system like you have in GB. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2018, 10:57:23 am »

That must be some extremely stupid world.

stamper

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2018, 12:09:57 pm »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2018, 12:16:36 pm »

I find this hard to believe..... but it is possible?

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-trial-runs-for-fascism-are-in-full-flow-1.3543375?mode=amp#sst

An excellent example of fake news in the form of a straw man.

jeremyrh

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2018, 12:33:45 pm »

As a New Yorker, I can assure you there are plenty of restaurants here that serve the best of steak, chops, French food, Chinese, Indian, Korean, Turkish, Greek, Spanish, German, Italian (southern and northern), etc. I've never been to an English restaurant here.  Are there any?  :)
No American food restaurants then?

However, I was referring to the stuff you buy in shops. We don't tend to import much restaurant food. It gets cold on the way.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 12:38:02 pm by jeremyrh »

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2018, 12:35:32 pm »

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-trial-runs-for-fascism-are-in-full-flow-1.3543375?mode=amp#sst

Fascism? Say that to Los Angeles, New York, Chicago. Hell, say it to the Cajuns of Louisiana, rednecks of Mississippi, midwestern ranchers, women of Hollywood, and be prepared to die, MF! 

;)   

JoeKitchen

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2018, 12:42:25 pm »

Just skimmed through this and I could replace every mention of Trump, and his policies, with Obama, and his policies, and it would still make sense based on how he wrote the piece.  Don't believe me. 

"Fascism doesn’t arise suddenly in an existing democracy. It is not easy to get people to give up their ideas of freedom and civility."

Last I checked, the ACA forced us to give up the freedom of choice.  Not only were we forced to buy healthcare coverage, but the available options dropped significantly. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2018, 12:52:19 pm »

An excellent example of fake news in the form of a straw man.

Hum... it seems some people don’t know the difference between reporters covering news and editorial writers writting opinion pieces...not surprising that Trump wouldn’t understand the difference (and by extention Trump supporters) but I suspect most people’s DO understand the differences...

I guess not huh?

Rand47

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2018, 12:52:49 pm »

Okay, who's taking bets on how long it takes for this thread to get locked down? 

I'm thinking an over/under on the number of posts would be best.

Perhaps ...  Trump III?  Is this an ad hominem attack on the pres?  “Poisonous hunchback toad.”  Thread should be locked immediately!

😬

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2018, 12:55:34 pm »

Just skimmed through this and I could replace every mention of Trump, and his policies, with Obama, and his policies, and it would still make sense based on how he wrote the piece.  Don't believe me. 

"Fascism doesn’t arise suddenly in an existing democracy. It is not easy to get people to give up their ideas of freedom and civility."

Last I checked, the ACA forced us to give up the freedom of choice.  Not only were we forced to buy healthcare coverage, but the available options dropped significantly.

Are you seriously trying to label the making available of healthcare, to those who could not afford it before, as fascism?

Maybe the author of the opinion piece is right after all. And no, an opinion piece is not fake news. It's an opinion piece.

News is when the media reveal that e.g. Trump/Obama/whoever is in power at the time is lying to the people he/she represents. Investigative journalism is what makes better checks and balances compared to partisan politicians.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

JoeKitchen

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2018, 01:26:08 pm »

Are you seriously trying to label the making available of healthcare, to those who could not afford it before, as fascism?

Maybe the author of the opinion piece is right after all. And no, an opinion piece is not fake news. It's an opinion piece.

News is when the media reveal that e.g. Trump/Obama/whoever is in power at the time is lying to the people he/she represents. Investigative journalism is what makes better checks and balances compared to partisan politicians.

Cheers,
Bart

First all, there are several people who now can't afford Healthcare because of the increase in regs, which increased the cost and decreased options.  Many in the USA, especially the young, are choosing to pay the fine instead of buying coverage.  This is only increasing the cost even more.  Have you been paying attention to how fast the rates are rising? 

On top of this, the fine is a joke.  If someone does not want to pay it, there is really no way to force them to do so.  Unless the Dems wanted to start jailing people over it, which would be a PR nightmare.   

On top of this, the vast majority of those who are now covered by the ACA had coverage previously, so in effect, the bill did very little to actually help those it was targeted towards, and discourages those whom it needs to succeed, the young, from joining by artficially inflating the price of insurance for young people. 

Although it was well intentioned, and it was, it is a victim almost all of these policies are of, that being the effects of over regulation.  The effects of which are always to decrease options and raise prices. 

Edit: I kind of went a little off topic here.  My main point was that this opinion piece is filled with the same flawed logic many of these pieces most are filled with and acts as nothing more then to preaching to the converted.  Unfortunately many of those converted give up all sense of logic and just blinding agree. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 01:35:17 pm by JoeKitchen »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2018, 01:39:35 pm »

Regarding Russia, no former American president has been tougher on them.

Typical Trump Reality Distortion Field crap...trump gets forced into doing something he doesn’t want to do and then tries to take credit for it...

I guess he hopes people won’t be able to remember what actually happened;

With New Sanctions, Senate Forces Trump’s Hand on Russia

The Senate on Thursday approved sweeping sanctions against Russia, forcing President Trump to decide whether to accept a tougher line against Moscow or issue a politically explosive veto amid investigations into ties between his presidential campaign and Russian officials.

Hum...so while it’s technically true Trump signed it into law I don’t think being dragged kicking and screaming counts as being tough on Russia. And to think that was just last year that this happened...no wonder Trump can’t remember what happened so long ago...each year in Trump Years is like a year in dog years...so last years seems a really long time ago in a galaxy far far away...

JoeKitchen

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2018, 01:54:05 pm »

Typical Trump Reality Distortion Field crap...trump gets forced into doing something he doesn’t want to do and then tries to take credit for it...

I guess he hopes people won’t be able to remember what actually happened;

With New Sanctions, Senate Forces Trump’s Hand on Russia

Hum...so while it’s technically true Trump signed it into law I don’t think being dragged kicking and screaming counts as being tough on Russia. And to think that was just last year that this happened...no wonder Trump can’t remember what happened so long ago...each year in Trump Years is like a year in dog years...so last years seems a really long time ago in a galaxy far far away...

In all seriousness, has anyone released a non-biased analysis on exactly how influential this meddling was?  And not an opinion piece, an actually statistical analysis on what effect it really had on the average American. 

This whole show, on both sides, just seems like a bunch of political banter about something which had no real effect, but is easy to talk about.  And it gives an oh so easy out to the Dems for picking the worst candidate. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2018, 02:04:47 pm »

... News is when the media reveal that e.g. Trump/Obama/whoever is in power at the time is lying to the people he/she represents...

Nope.

What is a lie is a matter of opinion. News is presenting facts what a politician said and what facts are and letting the audience draw a conclusion. Labeling it is an opinion. A journalist drawing a conclusion is an opinion. Presenting facts, relevant and complete, is news.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2018, 02:31:33 pm »

He was elected by the people of the US.  That's his backing.
Um I think you have this slightly wrong.  He was elected by the Electoral College.  Clinton was elected by the people.  Need to be precise otherwise it is 'fake news.'

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2018, 02:34:32 pm »

Nope.

What is a lie is a matter of opinion.

Wrong. A lie is knowingly not telling the truth.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2018, 02:35:25 pm »

Fascism? Say that to Los Angeles, New York, Chicago. Hell, say it to the Cajuns of Louisiana, rednecks of Mississippi, midwestern ranchers, women of Hollywood, and be prepared to die, MF! 

;)
We were in Santa Fe last weekend and there was some kind of festival going on with lots of music in the Plaza.  We were standing right next to the monument to those who fought for New Mexico (then a territory) on the Union side in the Civil War.  There was a fellow in a purple Louisiana State tee shirt cursing somewhat noticeably about the language on the statue which was critical of the South.  He said that this would not be permitted in Louisiana and was angry that all the statues to Confederate generals are being taken down.  I offered no reply.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2018, 02:38:34 pm »

... Clinton was elected by the people...

Nope. There was no election by popular vote.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20   Go Up