Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Get the Tee Shirt! (Trump Baby Blimp)  (Read 5883 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Get the Tee Shirt! (Trump Baby Blimp)
« on: July 14, 2018, 01:52:35 am »

Ok...ya gotta get this tee shirt (I am...)

Available from NextLevelA/Trump Baby Blimp!

Now, before ya get all bent out of shape, I offer this article from The Conversation (rated Least Biased high factual reporting from mediabiasfactcheck.com

Trump baby balloon: why humour is such a powerful form of protest

An inflatable “baby” Donald Trump was the star attraction in London as protestors take to the streets to register their dissatisfaction with the visit of the US president on July 13. Protestors have much to motivate their mobilisation against Trump: from the controversial separation of families at the US-Mexican border, to his misogyny, nepotism, and travel ban. Tens of thousands are expected to attend a “Stop Trump” rally in what organisers have described as a “carnival of resistance”.

Humour, in the forms of chants, performances, satire, cartoons, theatre, jokes, memes and puns has a long tradition in protest movements. It acts as a vehicle to communicate ideas as well as to foster a sense of community – it can cut across linguistic barriers, and increase the resonance of the message.

All protests have a target, something or someone to galvanise others to action. The goal of the crowdfunded inflatable is to annoy the famously thin-skinned president. The six-metre tall balloon depicts Trump as a snarling baby in a nappy with tiny hands and moobs. Its purpose is not to change laws or policies, nor to influence his decisions. It is meant to mock and to undermine, suggesting the president is infantile, full of hot air, cartoonish and ridiculous.

The author goes on to talk about the aesthetics of protest on this website: http://www.aestheticsofprotest.com

This project looks at the aesthetic elements of protest and considers the form and effects of participatory actions and dynamics in the call for change. As well as images, symbols, graffiti, forms of rhetoric, humour, and slogans, the project scrutinises the orchestration and flows of collective actions both online and in public spaces. The Gezi Park protests in Turkey of 2013 provide the context of our analysis of the nature of aesthetic action.

Last year we saw the power of local grassroots efforts by https://www.indivisible.org to overturn Trump and the GOP's efforts to repeal and replace the ACA. Now they are working on the SCOTUS nomination...

There were some interesting signs during the London Trump protests (if crowd size matters, Trump got a big crowd out to protest him)

Donald Trump London protest news: Nearly 250,000 protesters march against president's visit

Nearly 250,000 activists descended on the streets of central London today to protest Donald Trump's visit to the UK, organisers said.

Protesters marched through the capital carrying placards reading "Dump Trump" and "Star Spangled Gobs***".

Aerial images showed the streets of central London from Portland Place to Trafalgar Square packed with tens of thousands of people taking part.

Stop Trump, the group which organised the biggest march, said that there were 250,000 people taking part.

I also loved looking at the "British" style of protest signs:

Best anti-Trump protest signs, posters and placards as he visits the UK

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Get the Tee Shirt! (Trump Baby Blimp)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 03:43:13 am »

Jeff, it's infantile, feel-good protest that achieves nothing. As I walked through Manchester city centre yesterday, there was a crowd of 100 or so people in Albert Square being harangued by a Scottish woman claiming that he was too afraid of them to come to Manchester. They cheered her. And I thought, what a self-important, smug, arrogant bunch you are. He doesn't know about your silly little self-indulgent gathering and he wouldn't give a damn if he did.

Jeremy

Manoli

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 04:02:02 am »

" Les visites font toujours plaisir, si ce n'est en arrivant, du moins en partant. "
- Jean De La Bruyère,

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 04:05:15 am »

Jeff, it's infantile, feel-good protest that achieves nothing.

I dissagre...as discussed in The Conversation article:

The use of ridicule in this way confirms the public’s relative weakness vis-à-vis governments, multinational corporations and world leaders. But satire and humour foster a sense of solidarity in the face of adversity. For those of us exasperated by the actions of the Trump administration appearing in our daily news feed, mocking Trump is not just a sneer – it gives us a sense of power, at least for a moment.

Mocking strongman leaders is a cathartic exercise and one favoured by protestors around the world, particularly in authoritarian regimes. In response to Vladimir Putin’s repressive treatment of LGBTIQ people in Russia, including the notorious anti-gay propaganda law of 2013, a neon Warholesque image of Putin in full make-up replete with lipstick was widely shared across social media.

As long as the protests remain peaceful and without violence, protests can indeed bring about change–even if the the change is difficult and slow to occur. Sorry, I'm an old hippy that was a Viet Nam war protester (never got busted and never engaged in violence) but it was the people who forced the United States to bring an end to that war.

Also from The Conversation website (and by the same aesthetics of protest group) is this article:

From billboards to Twitter, why the aesthetics of protest matters more today

The recriminations and investigations into the Grenfell Tower fire continue to reverberate a year on, and campaigners and activists have played an important role in keeping up the pressure on those investigating the fire and its aftermath. One of the campaigns that generated a lot of attention through social media was the #Justice4Grenfell billboard campaign, which riffed on the 2018 Oscar-winning film Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Are you saying resistance is futile?

mbaginy

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 06:36:49 am »

As long as the protests remain peaceful and without violence, protests can indeed bring about change–even if the the change is difficult and slow to occur.
+1
I agree with Jeff!

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 07:27:18 am »

I like the T shirt. Really good design. Wouldn’t wear it though. President Trump is interesting but not important enough to me one way or another.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 09:03:55 am »

As long as the protests remain peaceful and without violence, protests can indeed bring about change–even if the the change is difficult and slow to occur.

You'd better believe it, Jeff. The crap that's going on will insure a significant Republican victory this November. The Repubs will hang on to the house and increase their majority in the Senate. The so-called "resistance" is just about guaranteeing that result. Trump shoots off his mouth more than the "dignified" would like -- and actually more than I'd like. But he's getting positive results -- especially in the economy -- that we haven't seen since Reagan. If the protests become even more violent than they already are, the result this November will be even more impressive.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 09:20:01 am »

I don't know Russ, maybe if they put a beard on the blimp, long hair, and a vacant facial expression?
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 09:21:22 am »

A few snaps from yesterday....

I was quite interested in a small group that hung around one edge of the square. They said they were "here to support Trump - we're Trump supporters!" and had t shirts of The North East Frontline Patriots - maybe they were the entire group?

Eventually the air had to be let out of the baby.

Shit and bollocks were very much in the air.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 09:32:39 am »

And some others with a British spin on protest...

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 09:36:48 am »

Jeff, it's infantile, feel-good protest that achieves nothing. As I walked through Manchester city centre yesterday, there was a crowd of 100 or so people in Albert Square being harangued by a Scottish woman claiming that he was too afraid of them to come to Manchester. They cheered her. And I thought, what a self-important, smug, arrogant bunch you are. He doesn't know about your silly little self-indulgent gathering and he wouldn't give a damn if he did.

Jeremy
They would have been more constructive protesting against Brexit

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 09:46:44 am »

Right, Alan, just as they were constructive before the Brexit vote. Extreme anger in politics makes people blind as well as stupid.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 11:23:53 am »

And some others with a British spin on protest...

The little boy with the bullhorn in the first image in this series makes the picture!  (It would have been even better if you had shifted the frame down and to the left a little, even if that meant losing some of the location context.)

James Clark

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2018, 11:37:08 am »

But he's getting positive results -- especially in the economy -- that we haven't seen since Reagan.

Huh?  ???

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 11:43:02 am »

The little boy with the bullhorn in the first image in this series makes the picture!  (It would have been even better if you had shifted the frame down and to the left a little, even if that meant losing some of the location context.)

To be honest, I only saw him when reviewing the pictures. It's the corgi sign that I noticed.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2018, 11:46:59 am »

Jeff, don't forget this keeper!  8)

http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2018, 12:06:42 pm »

Jeff, don't forget this keeper!  8)

Want one.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2018, 12:28:50 pm »

Ok...ya gotta get this tee shirt (I am...)...

You are paying $40+ for a t-shirt!? Gee!

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2018, 12:58:28 pm »

The troll is only $25.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up