Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Time to change the subtitle  (Read 4404 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Time to change the subtitle
« on: July 10, 2018, 04:02:07 pm »

Why does "Street Showcase" have the subtitle "-not landscape. . ." when that should be blindingly obvious to all but the severely mentally handicapped? "Landscape Showcase" has the subtitle: "To showcase & discuss Landscape images." Why can't Street Showcase have a similar subtitle: "To showcase & discuss Street Photography." ???

Just asking. But you knew that, right?
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Time to change the subtitle
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 07:18:33 pm »

I'm with you 100% on this, Russ.

How about it, Chris?
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rayyan

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 07:36:51 pm »

Begs the question, why have something as vague as a street category ( whatever that means ) while other widely accepted genres of photography are excluded? Or lumped into a minor sub- category as if these ‘ other ‘ genres don’t exist or are of any less significance.

I can understand Landscape being a specific category in LuLa.

As to the OP’s query...maybe the intention was to have the street category to include everything else but Landscape.

RSL

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 07:57:03 pm »

Rayyan, apparently you're not familiar with Cartier-Bresson and his followers and on through people like Walker Evans, Robert Frank, etc., etc. Street photography is huge in comparison with landscape. It's probably the largest photographic genre of all. Unfortunately it's not a practice followed by most amateurs (people who make photographs because they love it, as opposed to those who make photographs for a living). The reason for that is that it can be scary. Landscapes just sit there while you photograph them. People can chase you.

In any case, street deserves a proper segment in any site that displays photographs.

Rayyan

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 08:08:43 pm »

As does Fashion photography, don't you think?
As does PhotoJournalism. One genre, in which one can and does get killed; not only just being chased.

To name some names...but you must know them already.

Russ, yes I am quite familiar with the names you mentioned. Although we do live in a desert and love our camels  :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 08:14:11 pm by Rayyan »

Ivophoto

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 12:42:05 am »

You know what you should do? Go out and make damn good pictures and show them instead of endless weeping about whatever category.

RSL

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 07:00:52 am »

Sorry, guys, I'm still convinced that only a moron would think street photography is landscape. Please. . . tell me you don't think that.

Rayyan

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 07:29:35 am »

Hi Russ.

I do, however, agree that the extra wording under ‘ street showcase ‘ is redundant and serves no purpose.

Sorry, guys, I'm still convinced that only a moron would think street photography is landscape. Please. . . tell me you don't think that.

Rob C

Re: Time to change the subtitle"Russ
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 07:42:00 am »

Russ, I was young once - or so I have been told - so trying to see the responses from that earlier perspective, the problem appears to be one of imaginary rebellion, a dislike (stated, but perhaps just bravado) for organised order.

My personal reason for wishing there were defined categories is simple: there are only so many genres of photography on which I am willing to spend my ever-shortening time. I have no desire to wade through ARATs again; I do not think it brilliant planning to feel forced to wade through endless cats 'n' pooches, through all manner of stuff that holds no personal appeal for me.

Someone asked, as a form of attack, why not a section for, along with other things, fashion. Simply put, apart from about three of us who did that professionally, from whence the snaps? You can reduce that princely total even further: I have but two such pix left from all those years of earning my crust with it. There is no such thing as amateur fashion photography. There are only bad jokes. Period.

Even street is not some massive, homogenous whole; there are famed names who don't do much for me as there are others I almost worship. For instance, I see Leiter as an exponent of street art, quite unlike either Meyerowitz or Winogrand who are, to me, raw street. I would look at (and do) Leiter's oeuvre almost every day, but not the others. Why would I consider a better-organised LuLa a disadvantage?

It's all about not wasting available time on uninteresting subject matter. (A personal call, which - as somebody else here with a penchant for quoting such things says - is my right to make.)

The better organised, the better all round.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 07:51:59 am »

The not landscape, should go, but it won't make an iota of difference to the content posted to the Street Showcase.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 08:15:28 am »

The better organised, the better all round.

This coming from the person who started the WP streamofconscious thread...

;-p
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rayyan

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 08:16:13 am »

Keith, you were right about the mafia.
But some like to hear their own voice too much, too!

Regards.

The not landscape, should go, but it won't make an iota of difference to the content posted to the Street Showcase.

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 08:19:30 am »

That, Keith, is the truth.

And neither will it keep Street out of the Critique section which, apart from WP is the depository for all the rest of the snaps that seek praise, condemnation or whatever motivates the posting.

I think it boils down to laziness.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 08:21:52 am »

Keith, you were right about the mafia.
But some like to hear their own voice too much, too!

Regards.

Careful Rayyan, I could be a member.

;-)

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 08:44:55 am »

I would look at (and do) Leiter's oeuvre almost every day, but not the others. Why would I consider a better-organised LuLa a disadvantage?

Rob,

Leiter is the artist among street! Alawys will stand aside, away from the others. That's why I revere him.

Peter

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 08:46:36 am »

Careful Rayyan, I could be a member.

;-)

Do you cary a knife...?

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 09:09:23 am »

This coming from the person who started the WP streamofconscious thread...

;-p

WP was started, not for stylistic reasons, but to provide a forum where people could post images free from unwanted second-guesses and suggestions of how the shot could be improved.

The intention and assumption behind the concept being that there are those who know what they want from the camera, know how to use one to get that result, and simply enjoy the idea of a place where they can display the pix without having to put up with "advice" they didn't want or need. Those who desire such helpful input have the rest of the Critique space in which to play.

Anyway, isn't stream of consciousness more, well, on the road than on the street?

;-)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 09:13:08 am by Rob C »

RSL

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 09:23:09 am »

You know what you should do? Go out and make damn good pictures and show them instead of endless weeping about whatever category.

https://luminous-landscape.com/on-street-photography/

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 09:23:44 am »

WP

Anyway, isn't stream of consciousness more, well, on the road than on the street?

;-)

JK would agree...!

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2018, 09:24:46 am »

Rob,

Leiter is the artist among street! Alawys will stand aside, away from the others. That's why I revere him.

Peter

And his books never disappoint. I also like Louis Faurer, his contemporary, but I think Faurer's fashion was better than his street. Oddly, Faurer and Frank thought that their highly-paid fashion work was less than worthy... on the contrary, I think Faurer was far better at fashion than his own preference for Times Square and Philly imagery! They wrote about "selling out" whatever that really means...

But that is not an unusual attitude. I remember some of my own contemporaries saying similar stuff: their personal work was better than their paid work. My paid work was my personal work: the paying clients allowed me to legitimise and create the work that I could never have put together otherwise! I thank God every day for granting me my two biggest and earliest photographic desires: to get work in Vogue and to get to do calendars. The rest is an anticlimax. But it also keeps me sane. Sort of. I think.

;-)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up