Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Time to change the subtitle  (Read 4405 times)

Rob C

Re: Time to change the subtitle"Russ
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 09:25:43 am »

Rob C

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
Re: Time to change the subtitle
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2018, 09:48:42 am »

Do you cary a knife...?

Peter

No, just the scars...

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2018, 09:57:58 am »

The not landscape, should go, but it won't make an iota of difference to the content posted to the Street Showcase.

You're absolutely right, Keith, and therein lies the tragedy.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2018, 10:14:09 am »

You're absolutely right, Keith, and therein lies the tragedy.

Russ, with respect, and I mean that, I think there are only a very few contributors here who would describe that as a tragedy.

I know, I know, you'd consider that in itself a tragedy.

;-)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 10:21:37 am by KLaban »

RSL

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 10:17:51 am »

Thanks, Keith, and the respect certainly is mutual. But...  Exactly!

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 10:56:53 am »

Well, actually, we also have to admit that this section has resulted in a plethora of great non-landscape images some of which i wouldn't have wanted to miss either. So perhaps retitle this "non-landscape showcase" (subtitle optional) and be done with the whole discussion.

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rayyan

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 11:02:29 am »

+1

Shall Open it for the plebes, and for ‘ vogue ‘ photographers too.

Well, actually, we also have to admit that this section has resulted in a plethora of great non-landscape images some of which i wouldn't have wanted to miss either. So perhaps retitle this "non-landscape showcase" (subtitle optional) and be done with the whole discussion.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2018, 11:03:33 am »

No, just the scars...

Being an American of Sicilian decent, Father born in Sicily, I understand...

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2018, 11:21:57 am »

Thanks, Keith, and the respect certainly is mutual. But...  Exactly!

+ 1

:-)

Rob C

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2018, 11:42:35 am »

I think you are quite right when you say there have been some good non-landscape photos in this section.

In itself, that's hardly a valid reason to see more easy selection of type within a non-landscape world as somehow pointless.

Like I explained earlier, I love seeing street art but am pretty ambivalent on the other sorts of street. In other words, pix that demonstrate clever use of available colour/spaces/windows-and-contents etc. (even clever juxtaposition can be fun or just brilliant wit) interest me. Looking at snaps of sundry unknowns doing nothing very much tend not to be high on my list of desired viewings.

Heysoos, it's a similar experience to wandering the endless bays of a supermarket, looking at salt, pasta, veggies when all you want is some toothpaste. Those stores with good, visible information make shopping a lot less arduous.

The same with here.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2018, 11:50:56 am »

Why does "Street Showcase" have the subtitle "-not landscape. . ." when that should be blindingly obvious to all but the severely mentally handicapped? "Landscape Showcase" has the subtitle: "To showcase & discuss Landscape images." Why can't Street Showcase have a similar subtitle: "To showcase & discuss Street Photography." ???

Just asking. But you knew that, right?

I have removed the offending sub-title. Less is more. Play on.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2018, 11:53:16 am »

... Heysoos, it's a similar experience to wandering the endless bays of a supermarket, looking at salt, pasta, veggies when all you want is some toothpaste. Those stores with good, visible information make shopping a lot less arduous...

Rob, your calls for a proper genre classification, and in particular this analogy with shopping is so... misogynistic ;)

Rob C

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2018, 12:29:46 pm »

Rob, your calls for a proper genre classification, and in particular this analogy with shopping is so... misogynistic ;)

I never knew!

At least it shows that if it was worth making the illustration, it's a common failure within the shopping "experience".

Have you noticed how, today, everything gets described as an "experience"? Once, you just bought something; now, you inadvertently enjoy an added value, which is going to cost you more, but that you can later wax eloquent about as a wonderful experience unlike any other: I would once have thought that I'd just bought some eggs; today, I learn that no, I have had an amazing, life-enhancing experience.

Isn't bullshit a wonderful medium? Your new, flexible friend - if enjoyed young, like that Beaujolais...

Aren't we so lucky these days?

Ivophoto

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2018, 01:03:27 pm »

RSL

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2018, 01:21:40 pm »

Yep, that’s the talking, now show the walking.

In other words, you didn't see the photographs that go with the article. Maybe you need to go back and try again.

Ivophoto

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2018, 01:44:21 pm »

In other words, you didn't see the photographs that go with the article. Maybe you need to go back and try again.

I did look at them. Some are ok, few are nice. But not of that level for somebody who preach the one and only truth.

Rob C

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2018, 03:26:08 pm »

I did look at them. Some are ok, few are nice. But not of that level for somebody who preach the one and only truth.

You clearly don't seem able to differentiate between man and message. That's a real shame, and I mean this as sincerely as I have ever stated anything.

On the other hand, this many just represent the decline and fall of a very good site; absolutely nothing is for ever, this one included.

Rob

Ivophoto

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2018, 03:32:22 pm »

You clearly don't seem able to differentiate between man and message. That's a real shame, and I mean this as sincerely as I have ever stated anything.

Rob

Rob, Russ likes to pull my leg (his words) I pull back.

RSL

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2018, 03:49:48 pm »

On the other hand, this many just represent the decline and fall of a very good site; absolutely nothing is for ever, this one included.

Rob

I'm not going to fight with Ivo, Rob. There's nothing to fight about. I went back to the beginning of our new Street segment and ran through the stuff he's posted. His first one was pretty good; of two women talking over lunch. He caught some interesting expressions, and the light was excellent. From there on, what he's posted as street photography generally has been pictures of people milling around on the street -- no significant connection between them and no interaction with their surroundings. He thinks that's street photography, and I'd be spinning my wheels if I tried to explain that it's not. But then the question of quality comes up. I'm not going to go there, because I'd have to be honest, and I don't want Jeremy to kick me off of LuLa.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up