Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Opinion: Leica S06 Fuji GFX Pentax 645Z RESOLVED  (Read 6786 times)

rollsman44

Need Opinion: Leica S06 Fuji GFX Pentax 645Z RESOLVED
« on: June 12, 2018, 01:51:27 pm »

If you were looking for a Camera and Just 1 Lens for your personal use and mainly do portraits and some group shots using a 80mm 2.8 lens.  Limited funds . I know all of these would work. Use Flash off camera and Max ISO 800.   All suggestions appreciated.   
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 06:06:30 pm by rollsman44 »

David Watson

• David Watson
Re: Need Opinion: Leica S06 Fuji GFX Pentax 645Z
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 01:59:58 pm »

Hasselblad X1D + 90mm lens
David Watson ARPS

Telecaster

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 02:48:20 pm »

If I were starting from scratch I'd give the Fuji a shot. (I have a Pentax 645D and use it mainly with the 75/2.8. Great combo!)

-Dave-

Bo_Dez

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 04:16:07 pm »

Any of those three cameras will make excellent pictures. Which do you prefer?

Personally I would steer clear of the Leica S 006. While the IQ is very good, it suffers from sensor corrosion and as far as I understand there is no permanent fix like there was for the M9. It's a time bomb.

I think the Pentax 645z is the most underrated medium format camera. It's exceptionally good and ridiculously cheap these days, the only expense is the extra bulk. But those who own it rave about it and say it is very well designed.

rollsman44

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 09:32:32 pm »

I agree about the Leica. Also, The Pentax 645Z is an Excellent choice and the Lenses are reasonable and Very good IQ. I am going to see if the Z comes down in price. Its about the same price as the GFX. GFX newer Technology and Lighter but the Lenses are Much more,  In time I will see what happens to the 645Z in price.  Thank you   

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 06:16:46 am »

I agree about the Leica. Also, The Pentax 645Z is an Excellent choice and the Lenses are reasonable and Very good IQ. I am going to see if the Z comes down in price. Its about the same price as the GFX. GFX newer Technology and Lighter but the Lenses are Much more,  In time I will see what happens to the 645Z in price.  Thank you

The Fuji and Hassy are novel mirrorless body and lens designs, which will scale well to 100Mp sensors and above  in a few months and will probably have a 10-20 year run. The Pentax and its lenses, are now a good system approaching a dead end and new and used prices will evolve accordingly. Phase XF and Hassy H are in a similar position, but on all these dinosaurs one more refresh seems probable, as Sony’s sensors make the electronics redesign trivial
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

fredjeang2

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 10:51:11 am »

it suffers from sensor corrosion

And the laisser aller of the CS...

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 12:36:34 pm »

And the laisser aller of the CS...

the laconic master has spoken his mysterious words ...
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

fredjeang2

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 05:11:26 pm »

the laconic master has spoken his mysterious words ...
Laisser aller is not used in english? I think I heard it sometimes. C'est la vie mon ami.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 05:19:06 pm by fredjeang2 »

pschefz

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 09:13:44 pm »

GFX with zoom...done...if you need to go longer, the 110 or 120 are both excellent and even with the 2 lenses should come in at about the same as XD1 with one...
schefz.com
artloch.com

lowep

• http://sites.google.com/site/peterlowefoto/
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 09:52:50 pm »

I reckon the only reason to wade into medium format digital these days is if it gets you a kit that can deliver something quite different in terms of working process or image quality than what you can get out of a high end full frame digital camera like the A7RII. What I am not sure about is what the CMOS system 645Z or Fuji GFX can do that the A7RII or similar high end full frame CMOS system cannot do for about half the price? Or if legacy MF digital CCD kits like the Leica S06 has some special magic that can deliver files with a very different look than the files out of a camera like the A7RII? If not we are just wasting money and time revolving deckchairs that perhaps could be better used photographing?

« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 10:00:21 pm by lowep »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 10:19:34 pm »

I would go for a Sony a7rIII, eye AF is such a great feature for portrait work.

Second best choice would be the X1D with its excellent leaf shutter lenses. If you shoot at f5.6/f8, this becomes the first choice I believe.

Cheers,
Bernard

pschefz

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 12:09:01 pm »

I reckon the only reason to wade into medium format digital these days is if it gets you a kit that can deliver something quite different in terms of working process or image quality than what you can get out of a high end full frame digital camera like the A7RII. What I am not sure about is what the CMOS system 645Z or Fuji GFX can do that the A7RII or similar high end full frame CMOS system cannot do for about half the price? Or if legacy MF digital CCD kits like the Leica S06 has some special magic that can deliver files with a very different look than the files out of a camera like the A7RII? If not we are just wasting money and time revolving deckchairs that perhaps could be better used photographing?

i would take the leica out of this discussion....price (especially lenses) is in a completely different league and performance is not there once you take off the red dotted glasses.....
the sony (or nikon) is very close in IQ and obviously has major advantages....
the price difference really is not that big anymore.....GFX plus zoom should be around 8K soon, A7RIII plus zoom is about 5500....yes, still a good chunk but there is a difference in IQ....but for 95% of applications the sony, nikon will probably be the easier and better cameras....
it will be hard to find a review that puts the X1D over the GFX, especially when taking the lenses into consideration....not saying there is a lot between them, it's more a matter of taste and a certain brand nostalgia....

schefz.com
artloch.com

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 06:37:42 pm »

it will be hard to find a review that puts the X1D over the GFX, especially when taking the lenses into consideration....not saying there is a lot between them, it's more a matter of taste and a certain brand nostalgia....

If anything the X1D lenses have overall been reviewed as being slightly superior to the Fuji ones I would say (themselves excellent). But these 2 lenses sets are the best there are in any format IMHO, so trying to tell them apart is mostly a moot point.

We live in a great era really. The freedom of lens design offered by mirrorless combined with various progress made in terms of lens design simulation, test benches, manufacturing techniques,... are opening totally new opportunities.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 07:03:25 pm by BernardLanguillier »

pschefz

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 07:45:58 pm »

If anything the X1D lenses have overall been reviewed as being slightly superior to the Fuji ones I would say (themselves excellent). But these 2 lenses sets are the best there are in any format IMHO, so trying to tell them apart is mostly a moot point.

We live in a great era really. The freedom of lens design offered by mirrorless combined with various progress made in terms of lens design simulation, test benches, manufacturing techniques,... are opening totally new opportunities.

Cheers,
Bernard

i definitely agree with you about us living in great times....choices all around, different formats and lots of glass to use on all kinds of bodies....
my own experience with testing the X1D lenses was so so at best which ended up (reluctantly) pointing me towards the fuji....can you share a few reviews? i have read a lot but must have missed all the ones putting them ahead of the fujis....
schefz.com
artloch.com

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2018, 07:48:30 pm »

i definitely agree with you about us living in great times....choices all around, different formats and lots of glass to use on all kinds of bodies....
my own experience with testing the X1D lenses was so so at best which ended up (reluctantly) pointing me towards the fuji....can you share a few reviews? i have read a lot but must have missed all the ones putting them ahead of the fujis....

The one that comes to my mind right now is that by Loyd Chambers, but I believe I read others too.

Cheers,
Bernard

StuartR

• http://www.stuartrichardson.com
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2018, 08:08:00 am »

I have the S 006 and just spent a few weeks testing a GFX that a friend lent me. In terms of quality of output, they are not so far apart. Personally, I found the S to have more pleasing color, while the GFX had a slight edge on detail and snap at times. I felt that the raw files looked like they had 10 more points of clarity than the S. (Adding 10 points to the S made them extremely close). I think this is just how they have decided to tune their RAW output. The files were done in Lightroom. I found that the 63mm lens in the Fuji was excellent and sharp in nearly all situations. The 70mm from Leica has a bit more pleasing bokeh, but on landscape images it is a bit trickier to handle at times if the subject matter is very distance, as it has some field curvature (the sharpest areas are not equidistant to the camera). I would prefer the Leica 70mm for portraits. Personally I much prefer the handling of the Leica S, both in the interface and in the optical viewfinder. The EVF in the Fuji is not what I would consider great...both the A7Rii and Leica M10 EVF seem better to me. The interface in the GFX is not bad, and there are some nice touches, but I prefer the way Leica has set up the S. Tastes differ. In terms of sheer quality of output, given time to tweak everything in RAW conversion, I would give the edge to the GFX. It is, of course, something like five or six years newer. But if you asked me which camera I would prefer to use and work with, it would still be the S by a mile. The GFX is where the future is headed, but I still think there are too many compromises, especially around the EVF, which is really critical -- the viewfinder is our contact to the subject matter, it needs to communicate a huge amount of information more or less instantly and with as little disruption as possible. I have yet to see an EVF that could do that satisfyingly, not even from a camera like the SL. Meanwhile, SLR's, RF's and large format cameras do this nearly perfectly. I take the best pictures with the cameras I feel disappear in use...cameras like a good 4x5 camera, Mamiya 7ii, Leica S, Hasselblad 200 series, a Konica Hexar....all those cameras don't get in the way of the relationship between the photographer and the subject. For me all the EVF cameras I have owned or used could not meet that criteria. They might have beautiful output and a lot of great things going for them, but at the end of the day, you are still watching low quality screen image of the subject, as opposed to the directly reflected, unfiltered light coming off of it. I think this is not that important for everyone. For me it still is.

lowep

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2018, 08:12:26 am »

Stuart this is very helpful advice.

DP

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2018, 09:04:07 am »

mainly do portraits and some group shots using a 80mm 2.8 lens.  Limited funds .
why MF then at all ? is there something in 50mp MF so better for the stated purposes than 42-46-50mp dSLR or dSLM from Sony, Nikon or Canon ? used Sony A7R2 you can have for <= $1500 for example and its Eye AF will still run circles around all MF Fuji, Pentax or Leica...

lowep

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2018, 03:26:40 pm »

is there something in 50mp MF so better for the stated purposes than 42-46-50mp dSLR or dSLM from Sony, Nikon or Canon ?

+1
I wish there was but suspect there isn't... apart from completely different ergonomics, like writing with a pencil instead of typing.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up