Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Minimizing scratches on Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta roll stock  (Read 3273 times)

MarkFarber

• Mark Farber
Re: Minimizing scratches on Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta roll stock
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2018, 02:07:53 pm »

My problem wasn't scratches like you're getting.  I was getting what I think was head strikes: solid black blobs typically at leading edge / corners, sometimes trailling edges as well.

deliberate1

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2018, 10:02:33 am »

Mark, understood. I only had that happen with one print and minimally. I attributed it to paper curl.
I have given up on this Hahn paper, at least in roll stock. The 13x19 sheets I have seem to get through the machine without the same damage.
David

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2018, 11:17:38 am »

Mark,
Obliged for yours.
Epson's platen settings are a bit obscure. It is not obvious which creates the largest tolerance - "wider" or "wide."
to me it's pretty logical "wider" is "wider" than "wide". They are also listed in order in the driver ... Narrow, Normal, Wide, Wider.

deliberate1

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2018, 08:55:41 pm »

to me it's pretty logical "wider" is "wider" than "wide". They are also listed in order in the driver ... Narrow, Normal, Wide, Wider.
Agreed.

Kemosabe

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2018, 09:56:39 am »

i experienced a very similar problem with my Canon Pro 4000. 

on all papers albeit barely noticeable on matte paper.  the problem was fixed by 2 visits from the Canon service technicians and 1 visit from a Canon Analyst.  the techs replaced all of the paper guides in the Pro 4000 and the guides in the 2nd roll unit.  turns out that the new paper guides have built in rollers which reduce abrasion marking on the roll media.  sheet media feed produced no abrasion marks. 

the Canon Analyst fine tuned the installation and eliminated 90% of the markings.  the 2nd visit by the techs fine tuned and eliminated the problem.  Canon Pro series printers also produce abrasion markings when the 2" rolls start to approach the end of the rolls.  which is a known documented phenomenon.  turns out that the paper curvature toward the end of the rolls prevents the paper from lying flat on the platen resulting in markings. 

hope i'm not to far off topic.  but this information may be useful to some Pro series users.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 10:02:19 am by Kemosabe »

deliberate1

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2018, 09:00:21 pm »

OP here. Glad you got your printer functioning. It is good to have an army of techs. But I have had no scratching issues save for the Hahn Gloss Baryta, and no other. Since posting I have made some printer setting changes that appear to have reduced the phenomenon - widest platen gap and increased paper thickness from 3mm to 4mm. I may go to 5mm if necessary. A shame, really. I have made the paper route, and this paper, for my tastes, is just unsurpassed.
David
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up