Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nik Collection by DxO  (Read 7161 times)

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
Re: Nik Collection by DxO
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2018, 07:31:51 pm »

How can one tell if the new version is operating or the old version from google?

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

kirkt

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2018, 08:22:59 pm »

If you download the DxO version and launch one of the Nik apps in demo mode, a splash screen will come up with the Activate-Buy-Demo buttons - this screen will be DxO branded if you are running the current DxO version.  Also, in the app window, in the upper right corner there will be a little NIK logo with even tinier text that says "collection by DxO."  This is a button - if you press on it, it will bring up the splash screen with version info, etc.

kirk
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 08:29:54 pm by kirkt »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2018, 10:01:40 am »

The DxO version of Silver Efex seems to solve the issue of >100MPx images you have

Yep, I have just tried and it does indeed work. It is also significantly faster on large files on my Mac Pro running 10.13.5.

To me it makes a big difference.

Cheers,
Bernard

kirkt

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2018, 10:16:10 am »

Yep, I have just tried and it does indeed work. It is also significantly faster on large files on my Mac Pro running 10.13.5.

To me it makes a big difference.

Cheers,
Bernard

Nice!

kirk

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2018, 12:37:41 pm »

In the technical details, DXO specifies that if you have a Mac, your computer should have an i5 intel processor or higher. Is anyone running the new NIK Collection on an older Mac and if so, how well does it do?
Jay W Page

Gellman

• http://www.jgphoto.com
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2018, 11:11:10 am »

I am a long time Nik Collection user. I just downloaded and installed the new DxO Nik Collection, and it is an improvement, but not everything is fixed. There are still stability issues (repeatable crashes) with the latest Photoshop CC on High Sierra 10.13.4, but not as many as there used to be. The “New Features” (compatibility and stability) advertised seem to be no more than marketing hype. There is even a new double-processing/double-layer bug in Color Efex Pro 4 when apply in a separate layer is selected in settings. On the bright side, Analog Efex Pro 2 seems to work just fine and Silver Efex Pro 2 no longer crashes EVERY time.

The collection does not seem to be ready for prime time. In my opinion, this should be a beta release until the program is relatively stable and there are no known issues that cause crashes and loss of unsaved work done in Photoshop. Users should beware to always save an image in Photoshop before opening Nik, so if Nik should crash, you won’t lose unsaved editing work done prior to opening Nik.

Apple just released the latest OS version, High Sierra 10.13.5. I am afraid to install it. I don’t want to lose even more functionality with DxO Nik Collection. Does anyone know how well the Collection plays with the latest 10.13.5 OS?

Gellman

• http://www.jgphoto.com
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2018, 11:51:41 am »

To those who see no value in purchasing a new version that has no new features other than compatibility and stability with a new OS, I understand your angst. It has all the romance and excitement of replacing a worn out blue blazer with a new blue blazer. Having developed software myself, I can tell you that maintaining compatibility and stability with a new OS is some of the most complicated, time consuming, and expensive programming one can undertake, depending upon the circumstances. 

Imagine building a house on a flat stable lot. Everything is good until an earthquake occurs that changes the contours of the lot. It is no longer flat. It is now on an incline. Fixing the foundation, which is still bearing the weight of the house, to fit the new contours of the land while you continue to live in the house is a most challenging repair issue. And not cheap to do. But it allows you to keep a roof over your head. You get to sleep in your own bed and make coffee and toast in the morning. Of course, this analogy only works if portions of the house don't collapse during construction. I don't care if DxO never adds a new feature to the Nik Collection. I just want it to stop collapsing while I'm in it.

chez

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2018, 09:19:35 am »

To those who see no value in purchasing a new version that has no new features other than compatibility and stability with a new OS, I understand your angst. It has all the romance and excitement of replacing a worn out blue blazer with a new blue blazer. Having developed software myself, I can tell you that maintaining compatibility and stability with a new OS is some of the most complicated, time consuming, and expensive programming one can undertake, depending upon the circumstances. 

Imagine building a house on a flat stable lot. Everything is good until an earthquake occurs that changes the contours of the lot. It is no longer flat. It is now on an incline. Fixing the foundation, which is still bearing the weight of the house, to fit the new contours of the land while you continue to live in the house is a most challenging repair issue. And not cheap to do. But it allows you to keep a roof over your head. You get to sleep in your own bed and make coffee and toast in the morning. Of course, this analogy only works if portions of the house don't collapse during construction. I don't care if DxO never adds a new feature to the Nik Collection. I just want it to stop collapsing while I'm in it.

Well I have a different scenario. I purchase a house and soon discover the builders forgot to put insulation into the walls and are asking for more money to correct this mistake. Sure it costs a lot to open up the exterior walls and put the installation in, but it was their mistake, error ( bug ) that caused the problem, not mine and it's their responsibility to correct the error.

I've been in software / hardware development for 35 years and not once did we release a new version of a product that fixed bugs and charged for it. Bugs are caused by the developers and it's their responsibility to fix these bugs on their own nickel. In fact releasing products with bugs is a hinderence on the customer and seems to be becoming standard practices these days...then to turn around and charge money again to fix those bugs...no way.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2018, 08:22:18 am »

I've been in software / hardware development for 35 years and not once did we release a new version of a product that fixed bugs and charged for it. Bugs are caused by the developers and it's their responsibility to fix these bugs on their own nickel. In fact releasing products with bugs is a hinderence on the customer and seems to be becoming standard practices these days...then to turn around and charge money again to fix those bugs...no way.

Well, yes, but I want DxO to survive because I believe they will do more valuable things with Nik than Google did.

As a result, I am willing to pay to help them survive.

This is just a pragmatic approach vs a dogmatic one.

Cheers,
Bernard

ankeduck

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2018, 08:42:04 am »

The old bug in Color Efex Pro has not been fixed. If you have it set to apply the effect on a separate layer, it crashes (I'm on the Mac).

Update: I reported the bug to DxO (including details of my system - latest macOS) and they sent me an updated link to download and re-install. I just tested it and looks like they fixed the problem.

I had PS craching on High Sierra, 10.13.5 while using DxO ViewPoint v1. I'm now now on 10.13.5 and have reinstalled ViewPoint which now works fine. Probably a file permission problem somewhere. YOu could try a reinstall if you wish to use the old Nik and see what happens...

jwstl

« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2018, 11:11:13 am »

Well I have a different scenario. I purchase a house and soon discover the builders forgot to put insulation into the walls and are asking for more money to correct this mistake. Sure it costs a lot to open up the exterior walls and put the installation in, but it was their mistake, error ( bug ) that caused the problem, not mine and it's their responsibility to correct the error.

Except in this case, the builder didn't put in the insulation. DXO fixed bugs not fixed by the previous owner and would never have been fixed by said previous owner. Certainly that's worth something.

chez

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2018, 11:17:11 am »

Except in this case, the builder didn't put in the insulation. DXO fixed bugs not fixed by the previous owner and would never have been fixed by said previous owner. Certainly that's worth something.

Yes and DXO did not put in the features that are in the suite. When you buy out a product, you purchase both the great features and all the bugs that come with it. Saying DXO did not put those bugs into the product is a cop out. They own the product, bugs and all.

John Caldwell

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2018, 09:25:16 am »

Is there a means of knowing what DxO NIK build version you are running? I note that I have a minimum of two different DxO NIK Installers, as they differ in file size. My most recent download is still crash in the current PS CC, particularly when using the NIK stuffs Smart Filters.

John Caldwell

Arlen

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2018, 10:18:12 am »

Is there a means of knowing what DxO NIK build version you are running? I note that I have a minimum of two different DxO NIK Installers, as they differ in file size. My most recent download is still crash in the current PS CC, particularly when using the NIK stuffs Smart Filters.

John Caldwell

Open one of the applications, for example Color Efex Pro. In the upper right corner, click on the little orange Nik icon to launch a pop-up. You should see that it says, among other things, Nik Collection by DxO, and a version number. The latest is Version 5.0.0.0 x64, build 1.2.15.

Edit:  Actually, see kirkt's post above, where he shows the pop-up screen with the info you are looking for.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 10:50:39 am by Arlen »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up