Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Nik Collection by DxO  (Read 7156 times)

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
Nik Collection by DxO
« on: June 06, 2018, 11:42:39 am »

« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 03:28:11 pm by Rajan Parrikar »

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
Re: Nik Collection by DxO
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 12:06:13 pm »

The old bug in Color Efex Pro has not been fixed. If you have it set to apply the effect on a separate layer, it crashes (I'm on the Mac).

Update: I reported the bug to DxO (including details of my system - latest macOS) and they sent me an updated link to download and re-install. I just tested it and looks like they fixed the problem.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 03:28:21 pm by Rajan Parrikar »

gchappel

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 12:27:21 pm »

Have they changed anything?
I have used nik for years- long before google got involved.
I am on win10, latest photoshop cc version. 
My old plug ins work fine, just like always.
I am wondering if there is any reason to upgrade?
I will wait and watch .
Gary

michaelsh

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 12:42:08 pm »

Have they changed anything?
I have used nik for years- long before google got involved.
I am on win10, latest photoshop cc version. 
My old plug ins work fine, just like always.
I am wondering if there is any reason to upgrade?
I will wait and watch .
Gary

I've been using Viveza 2 and Silver Efex Pro 2 for years now under Windows and never actually encountered a bug with these two plugins.
My main complaint is that Viveza and Silver Efex don't scale properly on a 4K display - but that's a minor issue for me, as I simply use the Win 10 magnifier when working with the plugins.
I have downloaded the new free 30 day trial version from DxO - unfortunately the scaling issue has not been fixed.
As long as that is the case, I will keep using the Google collection.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 02:58:55 pm »

The crash when re-editing a smart object in PS CC18 under High Sierra (http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=124723.msg1043586#msg1043586) seems to have been fixed.

Jeremy

kirkt

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 03:08:21 pm »

The old bug in Color Efex Pro has not been fixed. If you have it set to apply the effect on a separate layer, it crashes (I'm on the Mac).

You should report your specific configuration to DxO - I'm on a MacPro, Sierra (10.12.6), PS CC2018 and have it set to apply to a separate layer and no crash here.  Running the demo of the DxO version to which you linked.

Kirk

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 03:20:55 pm »

Update: I reported the bug to DxO (including details of my system - latest macOS) and they sent me an updated link to download and re-install. I just tested it and looks like they fixed the problem.

Fernando García

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 04:24:43 pm »

Just beware that when the new DxO version is installed the Google version is deleted.

kirkt

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 04:36:03 pm »

Glad to hear it works for you now.

kirk

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 05:40:46 pm »

I also use the old collection and like it. I haven't really had any significant issues, although I think I have seen the scaling one even though my monitor isn't 4k.
For $50 with a perpetual license (my kind of license - yay!) I might just get it to stay current and support it's resurrection.
-MattB

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 08:15:06 pm »

I love Silver Effex and Color Effex and use them almost daily but they seem to work for me in their current form.

Like many others I was delighted to hear that DXO bought the Nik plugins and planned to improve them. Like many others I expected to pay for them (though I paid for the set in the pre-Google days). Like many others I had great expectations that the paid version would have some real improvements. Like many others, I am a bit disappointed that there are really no significant improvements at all, as best I can tell from reading things on the web. For starters, a targeted adjustment tool would be a welcome addition; it is one of the best features of Lightroom and Photoshop. I could go on and there will doubtless be others who disagree, but with all the reported financial issues, perhaps they are hoping for a cash infusion to get the ball rolling. I wish them well but am not prepared to pay for the current offering.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 03:30:00 am »

Just beware that when the new DxO version is installed the Google version is deleted.

Not if you rename your original Nik Collection folder first.

Jeremy

kirkt

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 07:45:00 am »

My impression is that the first release of the plug-ins under the DxO name was basically a rebranding (logos, etc.) and some fixes to the most glaring incompatibilities and crashes.  While the last Google version appears to work on most modern OS and PS combinations, paying a small amount for a supported product is probably worth the investment if you use the applications significantly.  I paid full price back in the day for all of them when the U-point tech first came out so, to me, DxO's current offering is very reasonable.

kirk

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 08:06:04 am »

One major issue with silver eFex that I hope is fixed is the inability to work with high res files, such as those of my H6D-100c or panoramic stitches.

I don't know the exact limit, but it sure doesn't work with 100 megapixel files with the latest Google version of OSX.

Cheers,
Bernard

hogloff

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 08:55:09 am »

I'll pass until they actually add something new. I will not pay for a bug fix release as these releases should be free. My current google version runs just fine.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 01:07:44 pm »

Rajan, can you post the updated link?

Jeremy

kirkt

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2018, 03:42:26 pm »

One major issue with silver eFex that I hope is fixed is the inability to work with high res files, such as those of my H6D-100c or panoramic stitches.

I don't know the exact limit, but it sure doesn't work with 100 megapixel files with the latest Google version of OSX.

Cheers,
Bernard

The DxO version of Silver Efex seems to solve the issue of >100MPx images you have - I just opened a Canon 5DIV image and upres'ed it to 14000 px on the long edge (~9000 px on the short edge).  It was a JPEG so I didi the test as an 8bit file and then changed the mode to a 16bit file and repeated the test.  Both files were able to be sent to Silver Efex, edited and sent back as a new layer.  It was not blazingly fast on the front end (opening and preprocessing the image into the Silver Efex interface) or the back end (processing and saving the image from Silver Efex back to PS) but it worked.  This was in PS CC2018, Mac Pro, Sierra 10.12.6.

kirk

Arlen

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2018, 05:57:37 pm »

The Google NIK collection has been working fine for me on Windows 10. So I submitted an inquiry to DxO support, asking if I upgrade now to the DxO update, will anything other than bug fixes be included before I have to pay again at the next major upgrade. I received a very prompt reply, containing mostly information already available on their web site but unfortunately not really answering my question. From what I could make of it though, the answer is probably no. But I may go ahead and upgrade anyway, in the hope of helping them survive and continue supporting this software.

Eric Kellerman

• Eric Kellerman Photography
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2018, 06:08:15 pm »

Yes, I downloaded the DxO demo and lost my Google version and all my custom presets as a result. DxO could have had the courtesy to port the presets to the demo version, or at least issue a warning. Not a good way to win friends for the new version.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up