Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Designjet Z9 - HP has launched a new large format photo printer  (Read 33131 times)

Ernst Dinkla

The cost of the optional gloss channel is just under $300, not sure of the logic in not having in all printers

It probably is ink I use the least, mainly matte prints I do.  The Vivid inks by themselves should deliver a better gloss than the Vivera inks. So if gloss is not the first priority ........

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

I.T. Supplies

Here are the dimensions and weight (printer itself and shipment):

MODEL #           NAME         package dim       package lb    shipping dim    shipping weight
W3Z71A#B1K    Z9 24"      50.9 x 27.4 x 39.3 in       159   56.7 x 30.2 x 28.3 in    225
W3Z72A#B1K    Z9 44"      50.9 x 27.4 x 39.3 in        159   56.7 x 30.2 x 28.3 in    225
X9D24A#B1K    Z9dr 44"      50.9 x 27.4 x 39.3 in        159   56.7 x 30.2 x 28.3 in    225
2QX51A#B1K    HD Pro MFP   77.8 x 301.6 x 49.6 in     470
2QU12A#B1K    Z6810 42"      77.5 x 27.2 x 53.9 in       271   89.8 x 28.9 x 47.2 in    390.2
2QU13A#B1K    Z6610 60"     35.7 x 27.2 x 53.9 in       419   105.6 x 29.5 x 47.2 in    485
2QU14A#B1K    Z6810 60"     77.5 x 27.2 x 53.9 in        271   89.8 x 28.9 x 47.2 in   390.2

As far as quality; should be the same as the Z3200 (96% Pantone Coverage).  The printhead was in development for 10 years at HP and the warranty on it is 20% than the one on the Z3200 so should see the same, if not greater longevity.  Still an onboard Spectrophotometer.  The ink set is based on the HP Vivid Photo ink which is in the Z3200, so should perform about the same otherwise.

Quality info is based on the details we checked with our HP rep and from our manager attending the HP convention a few weeks ago regarding new models and any updates coming soon.

Hope this info helps!
IT Supplies

Ernst Dinkla

The ink set is based on the HP Vivid Photo ink which is in the Z3200, so should perform about the same otherwise.

Quality info is based on the details we checked with our HP rep and from our manager attending the HP convention a few weeks ago regarding new models and any updates coming soon.

Hope this info helps!
IT Supplies

Thank you for the information on sizes of the printers and the head reliability.

The HP Designjets Z3200/Z3100 use Vivera pigment inks since 2006. The Vivid pigment inks were introduced in 2010 with the Designjet Z6200. There is a modification in the Vivid inks compared to the Vivera that improves the gloss and the scratch resistance. The Z6200 had Chromatic Red, Photo Black, Matte Black, Light Grey, C,LC,M,LM, Y, inks aboard. New Vivid inks made for the Z9+ are Chromatic Blue, Chromatic Green and the not yet available GO gloss optimizer. The Z9+ does not use both Magenta, Cyan inks but just one of each and we do not know in what strength actually.

The GO I hope will create a better scratch resistance too, maybe even have properties comparable with a protection varnish. The last is my speculation but any engineer would try to achieve that. With the HP Latex inks in mind it should not be impossible either. Maybe that optional GO channel uses the technology to create that, preheating the ink somewhat before it goes into the head to create the right rheology.

Sure I added some speculation too here but the available facts on the inks are better presented than your information does. And any modification in ink, paper, printer technology alters longevity numbers. For better or worse, we both do not know to what degree. However I share your confidence in HP technology so I sure am not pessimistic that it will all be alright. Even if fade resistance is compromised a bit in favor of scratch resistance I would find that a sensible step in the development of inks for this market.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

kevinmcdnyc

Re: HP Designjet Z9 - HP has launched a new large format photo printer
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2018, 04:25:42 pm »

So has anyone seen one of these printers in action yet?

enduser

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2018, 09:19:02 pm »

I notice in itsupplies info above that the 24 inch and 44 inch machines are exactly the same weight and dimensions.

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2018, 11:27:52 am »

Good catch on the 2 sizes being the same.  I'll verify this since we just received the info from our HP rep directly (copy and paste basically).

mearussi

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2018, 05:55:06 pm »

Just got the three free HP sample prints today and the image quality is very disappointing. The image on the glossy paper looks like it was taken with a poor quality 3mp cellphone, the one on the luster paper looks flat and lifeless with no good dmax anywhere. Only the one printed on the matte paper looked halfway decent, but even then the colors looked "off." Whoever made these samples should be fired, or at least educated in what a good print is supposed to look like.  If this is the best HP has to offer then I don't want one no matter how archival the ink is.

stevenfr

• Steven Friedman Landscape Photography
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2018, 06:23:10 pm »

I got my three samples yesterday. Same paper as yours. I agree image quaility is terrible (not sure who is providing images for them) and the print quality is not great, the paper quality is also very poor.

I would not judge this printer based on their samples. Getting one of my Phase One images printed on Hahnemuhle paper is something I will try when I get a chance.

kevinmcdnyc

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2018, 07:10:19 pm »

I got my three samples yesterday. Same paper as yours. I agree image quaility is terrible (not sure who is providing images for them) and the print quality is not great, the paper quality is also very poor.

That is sad to hear.  I hope to hear some better first hand experiences of people using the printer with quality images and paper.

glyph

• Ron H.
    • Glyph Art Studio
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2018, 08:58:47 pm »

My samples arrived today, and I too am underwhelmed. I assume that these were produced without the currently shipping gloss enhancer, but I see both bronzing and gloss differential on the cheap HP papers they were printed on. In typical HP fashion, I think the left hand (marketing) is not supporting the right hand (design and manufacturing) well. They can muster one or the other but not both.

MHMG

« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2018, 09:55:16 pm »

Just got the three free HP sample prints today and the image quality is very disappointing.

I thought the image samples from which to choose the Z9 print samples were rather odd choices to begin with. And the media choices also fell short.  Hard to show off "fine art" digital print quality when one uses obviously commercial advertising imagery and commercial poster print media to start with, so I didn't even bother requesting a sample. Seems like HP marketing made a number of unwise choices all around :( Hopefully, HP engineers did a much better job with the new Z9, and the image quality aspects will become clearer when the new printers get in capable printmaking hands.

regards,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 09:59:43 pm by MHMG »

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2018, 04:16:04 am »

The support page for Z9+ has been updated with drivers, manuals etc:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-designjet-z9-postscript-printer-series/21158678

JimGoshorn

« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2018, 11:03:59 am »

I thought the image samples from which to choose the Z9 print samples were rather odd choices to begin with. And the media choices also fell short.  Hard to show off "fine art" digital print quality when one uses obviously commercial advertising imagery and commercial poster print media to start with, so I didn't even bother requesting a sample. Seems like HP marketing made a number of unwise choices all around :( Hopefully, HP engineers did a much better job with the new Z9, and the image quality aspects will become clearer when the new printers get in capable printmaking hands.

I ordered 3 samples - multicolored face, B+W and interior with pastel colors. What I got was building at night, woman in redish dress and woman with turquoise lipstick. Certainly not a great marketing example :(

Not that I know what red the dress was, but I certainly hope that wasn't the best red it can render. It reminded me of the orange/red that the Epson 7600 series provided.

Jim

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2018, 06:28:29 am »

Since I am interested in this printer I tried to see if there are color gamut differences compared to Z3200. I extracted from the installer the Z9 icc paper profiles. I didn't succeeded to do the same for the Z3200 so I have nothing to compare them to. Anyone interested to help? I don't know if it is appropriate to post the icc profiles here.
For example the HP-Photo_Baryte_Paper icc profile for the Z9+ reports a gamut volume of 840K.

stevenfr

• Steven Friedman Landscape Photography
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2018, 09:53:10 pm »

Looks like someone has stock on the printer if anyone is interested.

https://www.itsupplies.com/HP-Designjet-Z9-Plus-44-Inch-Printer-p/w3272a.htm

glyph

• Ron H.
    • Glyph Art Studio
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2018, 10:21:26 pm »

They seem to be in stock elsewhere, as well. What seems odd to me, though, is that six weeks after it was unveiled to the public, there is still no third party review of the printer, at least that I've come across. IIRC, there were quite a few influencers and reviewers that were provided early access to generate a buzz when the Z3100 was introduced. Since it is HP we are discussing, I'm reluctant to read too much into it, but it certainly seems odd that we still have nothing but marketing to go on at this point.

enduser

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2018, 11:09:15 pm »

"HP Printers - Dynamic Security Enabled Printers"   There's a bit of text about non OEM carts now on their site. Is it just a warning or have they done something to stop re-fillers?
It's interesting that HP no longer use light cyan and light magenta in these new printers.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 08:47:30 pm by enduser »

kevinmcdnyc

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2018, 09:45:15 am »

They seem to be in stock elsewhere, as well. What seems odd to me, though, is that six weeks after it was unveiled to the public, there is still no third party review of the printer, at least that I've come across. IIRC, there were quite a few influencers and reviewers that were provided early access to generate a buzz when the Z3100 was introduced. Since it is HP we are discussing, I'm reluctant to read too much into it, but it certainly seems odd that we still have nothing but marketing to go on at this point.

Are there any reviews in the works?

deanwork

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2018, 05:22:02 pm »

I don’t think anyone is even reviewing large format printers decently anymore.

The Epson P 10k/ 20k have been out over a year now and have the first true quad monochrome inkset on board within a full color inkset and Epson has done nothing to promote it other than saying it helps provide smoother color output at high speeds. Have they shown us how their new improved ABW or rip software with those inks allow for outstanding smoother monochrome? No. But I bet they do. The bw sample I got from Epson was a joke. It was printed on gray metallic rc paper. What a way to show what your extra light gray will do. Pathetic sales teams at all of these companies, and that includes Canon.

As to the new HP Z, I can certainly see how improved dot placement and resulting dither can allow the removal of light cyan and light magenta, but the removal of the light gray? Now that is just strange. They should have added an even lighter gray to what the already had, they had plenty of slots to do something great with that great inkset.  ( if fine Photography is their market, which it probably isn’t ) . And please don’t tell me that people don’t care about the best bw printmaking because that just isn’t true.

John

Terry_Kennedy

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2018, 05:43:21 pm »

I don’t think anyone is even reviewing large format printers decently anymore.

The Epson P 10k/ 20k have been out over a year now and have the first true quad monochrome inkset on board within a full color inkset and Epson has done nothing to promote it other than saying it helps provide smoother color output at high speeds.

Over 2 years, actually - the first P10k sale-to-customer units (as opposed to trade show or demo units) shipped from the factory in April 2016 and were installed and running at customer sites by July.

Other than videos from trade shows, the only non-Epson videos I've seen are various "look at this wonderful new printer we got - watch us take it out of the box" and various edits of the Epson videos by distributors. And the samples (as you and others have mentioned) don't show off the capabilities of the unit - I've discarded better output that the samples I saw. I've had to rely on comments (like the ones in this forum) from early adopters, and waited nearly 2 years to order one, so that the bugs were hopefully all worked out. With a little more effort from the manufacturers, they might sell more printers, sooner, to people like me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up