Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 7.3  (Read 26524 times)

rdonson

Re: Lightroom 7.3
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2018, 11:07:56 am »

So.... are you saying that when we choose:

Catalog Backup
- test integrity
- optimize catalog after backing up

that these steps aren't sufficient for the SQLite DB?  That we should also periodically run the generic SQLite utility?  If so, this sounds like Adobe has really given us a sense of false security.
Regards,
Ron

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2018, 05:27:09 pm »

Catalog Backup
- test integrity

that these steps aren't sufficient for the SQLite DB?  That we should also periodically run the generic SQLite utility?  If so, this sounds like Adobe has really given us a sense of false security.

No, it should not be necessary to run the SQLite utility. The issue is with the Catalog Backup step for some users (apparently in Windows 10). This is something that Adobe has to address.

The "Test integrity" and "optimize catalog after backing up" are performed on the current catalog, not the backup.

As other posters before have said before, backup your catalog, images and previews by other means.

adias

« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2018, 06:22:25 pm »

I have not read the Adobe Profile background documentation floating around, but my understanding so far is that  the new Profile paradigm is really the fusion of a base camera/sensor profile with a set of basic editing parameters (and other tools like LUTs) as an editing baseline. This could be done before with a camera profile plus a Preset, with the difference that the editing sliders would be changed. With the new paradigm the editing sliders are zeroed for that look.

Prior to this I had my own camera profiles either built with the Adobe DNG Profile tool or the GretagMacbeth tool... Can one associate one's own camera profile and one of these new baseline profiles? Or can one start by picking one's camera profile layer and then add an 'artistic' baseline profile on top of that? From what I saw by playing around it does not seem to be possible.

---

I just read the Adobe SDK kit info and it appears that there is no way to layer several 'Profiles'.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 08:40:57 pm by adias »

DP

« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2018, 11:38:24 pm »

Or can one start by picking one's camera profile layer and then add an 'artistic' baseline profile on top of that? From what I saw by playing around it does not seem to be possible.

---

I just read the Adobe SDK kit info and it appears that there is no way to layer several 'Profiles'.

well, read again ... you are laying a lot of LUTs on top of the base DCP profile (yours or what comes as a dcp file from Adobe)... enough to do anything you want.

adias

« Reply #104 on: April 08, 2018, 01:31:38 am »

well, read again ... you are laying a lot of LUTs on top of the base DCP profile (yours or what comes as a dcp file from Adobe)... enough to do anything you want.

Sure, I know that. But it would be mor powerful to stack separate profiles on top of each other. I could choose a dcp profile as the base and then load a processing/artistic profile to set a baseline for further editing.

DP

« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2018, 10:19:07 am »

But it would be mor powerful to stack separate profiles on top of each other.

dcp profile is essentially a color transform from camera's DNs to a formal color space... you can't stack them in principle because the second one does not have camera's DN to work with, hence it will not work as designed.

I could choose a dcp profile as the base and then load a processing/artistic profile to set a baseline for further editing.

it is exactly what XMP "enhanced" preset profile does... you can choose a base dcp camera profile of your choice and design and stack "processing/artistic" LUTs (w/ you choice how do it - either by LookTable which will replace the one in dcp profile or with CUBE-format LUT that will work after dcp is over or with both... plus a set of 1D luts - tags crs:ToneCurvePV2012, crs:ToneCurvePV2012Red, crs:ToneCurvePV2012Green, crs:ToneCurvePV2012Blue that also can add to your "artistic" whatever) on top of dcp ... prepare yourself a set of XMP presets profiles and play... now if  you understand this, then what you want is lazy way out - 2 different controls in GUI... but you don't really need that - DCP profile in such approach shall be doing a minimal set of work, so it can simply be left the same all the time to provide the consistent starting point (that is what Adobe does - all the time "Adobe Standard" - so you selected only what stacked on top of it in UI - "processing/artistic profile" in your terminology)... unless you are of the type that does not know what to do and simply randomly selects profiles in UI hoping to hit a good combo... so ?

« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 10:27:48 am by DP »

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2018, 12:53:38 pm »

Just noticed that the default sharpening has been increased from 25 to 40. Considering the trend towards not putting an anti-aliasing filter on the sensor, the increased sharpness seems a bit much.

FabienP

« Reply #107 on: April 08, 2018, 04:49:18 pm »

Catalog Backup
- test integrity

So far, only backups are affected. The catalogue in use seems to be fine and should be backed up by other means, as pointed out by Frank.

As far as I know, the only thing that gets done as part of the Lightroom automated backup is to zip the catalogue file. Not sure what one can mess with such a simple workflow. Now, obviously, if they do this too early while the database is in use and still has a lock on it...  ;)

I don't know if it makes sense to keep on doing the Lightoom backup to trigger the optimisation of the catalogue in use. I have disabled it in the meantime. Who knows, maybe the optimisation is nothing more than running the SQLite utility in repair mode?  ;D

Cheers,

Fabien

rdonson

« Reply #108 on: April 08, 2018, 09:04:13 pm »

Thanks, Fabien and Frank. 

I wonder how Adobe can screw up simply making a backup of the database? It should be as simple as copying a file, shouldn't it?
Regards,
Ron

Andy800

• Andy Astbury's Photography Blog
« Reply #109 on: April 09, 2018, 06:25:13 am »

Just noticed that the default sharpening has been increased from 25 to 40. Considering the trend towards not putting an anti-aliasing filter on the sensor, the increased sharpness seems a bit much.

Omer, I asked about this on the Adobe Forum, which led to a short conversation with an Adobe moderator.  I screen-grabbed the conversation and put it on my latest blog post - the jpeg is HERE

I thought the answer(s) were quite telling  >:(

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #110 on: April 09, 2018, 08:32:51 am »

Omer, I asked about this on the Adobe Forum, which led to a short conversation with an Adobe moderator.  I screen-grabbed the conversation and put it on my latest blog post - the jpeg is HERE

I thought the answer(s) were quite telling  >:(

Thanks Andy. Yeah, it occurred to me that Adobe might indeed be feeling some pressure from Capture One, which by default applies slightly more vibrance and sharpening in its base profile. Also, Adobe might be trying to appease Fujifilm users, though that may less true.

Interestingly, though Sony and Nikon raw files are affected, Panasonic RW2 files are not. At least not those from my GM5, for which the 25 setting remains the default.

FabienP

« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2018, 04:43:06 pm »

The catalogue corruption in backups has been fixed in LR 7.3.1. I can confirm that zipped backups on my Windows 10 PC no longer contain SQLite validation errors as reported above in this thread.

Cheers,

Fabien

rdonson

« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2018, 08:02:57 am »

The catalogue corruption in backups has been fixed in LR 7.3.1. I can confirm that zipped backups on my Windows 10 PC no longer contain SQLite validation errors as reported above in this thread.

Cheers,

Fabien

Yay!!!!
Regards,
Ron

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #113 on: May 01, 2018, 08:13:52 pm »

I wonder how Adobe can screw up simply making a backup of the database? It should be as simple as copying a file, shouldn't it?

My new understanding is that they don't just do a straight file copy.  According to what I've read on LRForums, it was reported this bug was due to a"rare condition when writing the backup catalog file".. Something like that, anyways - I forget exactly the wording.
So it apparently wasn't the zipping code that got messed with.

I found the corruption in all catalog backups since 7.0.  I have a feeling that it was actually widespread, at least for Windows, but not many people regularly check their backup catalogs with an outside utility - including myself.

But I'm happy to also report that backups made with 7.3.1 tested fine here as well.
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2018, 10:26:16 am »

Great! I also confirm that backup is working fine now in version 7.3.1
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up