Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dell XPS / HP Zbook and other 15" 2 in 1 (or clamshell) notebooks for editing  (Read 9315 times)

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield

(4/13/2018 : Title modified to reflect discussion of other brands)
(8/13/2018 : Title modified to reflect 2 in 1 or clamshell laptops)

At CES this year Dell announced a new 2 in 1 version of the XPS 15.  It would have the new Intel i7 with the CPU/GPU chip, GPU courtesy of AMD.  I had my eye on it as I want to upgrade my laptop which is pretty pedestrian on LR and PS and with a 13" screen I find a little too small.  I want a 2 in 1 with touchscreen that would fold as well, and it comes with an option of 32GB of RAM which I would spring for.

It's just been released and in addition (or maybe I missed it in the original brief) it has a 4k anti-glare screen that covers 100% Adobe RGB.  So far as I know most if not all 4k laptop touchscreens on the market are glossy.

For me this seems to check all the boxes as a fast LR/PS mobile editing tool.  I don't see the 32GB RAM option yet, and I've been burned as an early adopter so I will wait for a few months ...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 08:35:36 am by mcbroomf »

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Re: Dell XPS 15 2 in 1
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 08:45:54 pm »

I checked this out last night after I read your post. Looks REALLY nice. I've been looking at three or four other notebooks to replace my 4 year old Asus. (The others are the Asus Zenbook UX550VE, the Surface Book 2, and the Lenovo 720 -- though the 730 was just announced.) The one thing I'm disappointed about is that ALL the ports are USB-C. I would have liked it if the XPS had at least 2 USB-A ports for my TON of legacy USB 3.0 drives. This necessitates having to buy (at obviously additional costs) a USB hub. Otherwise, the specs look great... though it's about $800 higher than the Zenbook.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 04:06:27 am »

You can get cables with USB-C at one end and USB-A at the other, I use several with my current HP despite having both ports on it.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 05:12:43 am »

I've started to convert over to Thunderbolt and USB-c.  My new desktop has 2 TB3 ports and my old XPS13 has a TB3.  I use a Blackbird USB-c dual SSD drive dock on the road and in addition to a NAS a 4 bay TB3 enclosure at home.  I still have some old USB A type devices and use C-A cables rather than a dock, but I think if I used my laptop for primary editing at home that's what I'd get in any case (a dock) to avoid constant wear on the ports.

I'm still waiting for the 32GB version to show up.

nemophoto

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 12:38:05 pm »

You can get cables with USB-C at one end and USB-A at the other, I use several with my current HP despite having both ports on it.

Yeah, I found some C to full-size B and micro B USB cables. That would certainly work. Thanks for the suggestion.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 05:28:10 am »

If a 2 in 1 is not needed then I noticed that Dell are about to release the 2018 standard version of the XPS 15.  It doesn't have the i7 "G" processor with the CPU/AMD graphic chip, it uses a separate GTX 1050 (not sure if thee are other options) and also up to the newer i9 CPU.  Like the 2 in 1 it should be offered with 32GB RAM (still not there for the 2 in 1).  Supposed to be available for ordering mid April.

nemophoto

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 09:12:17 am »

If a 2 in 1 is not needed then I noticed that Dell are about to release the 2018 standard version of the XPS 15.  It doesn't have the i7 "G" processor with the CPU/AMD graphic chip, it uses a separate GTX 1050 (not sure if thee are other options) and also up to the newer i9 CPU.  Like the 2 in 1 it should be offered with 32GB RAM (still not there for the 2 in 1).  Supposed to be available for ordering mid April.

For those who don’t care as much about a 4K screen and touch in a laptop, I just got an email from MSI. They are introducing a killer laptop (or so it seems). If I remember correctly, it’s called the G65 Thin, weighs about 4.1 lbs, 1080 screen (no touch), BUT uses a 6 core i7. Also, can be had with either the GTX 1060 or 1070. It’s about .7 thick overall and supposedly has an 8-hr battery life and small brick charger. The specs certainly sound interesting. Guess we’ll have to watch for reviews. B&H has it for pre-order so you can see more online. Also a plethora or ports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 07:07:47 am »

I'm still waiting for the 32GB version to show up.

Just saw that it will be Q4 before the 32GB RAM option is available
https://twitter.com/AzorFrank/status/980865737207238657

I might try the 16GB version and see if it has enough oomph.  It would certainly save me some money if it can do well enough

nemophoto

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 10:48:29 am »

The hits keep coming. I just read about the new HP Studio x360. It's also available with a 6-core i7 and also, like the Dell, comes with a 4K matte touch screen. Decisions, decisions, decisions. I had hoped to get a new laptop by the end of April, or certainly by the beginning of May. Now I may have to wait to see what reviews come out since there are a lot of nice choices, all less expensive than the very nice Surface Book 2.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 11:24:59 am »

This is definitely going to make me wait.  I thought Dell were the only one out there with combo of 2 in 1, anti glare and 32GB.  I imagine it's a typo but CNET is saying their 4k Dreamcolour display only offers 100% sRGB, while Engadget are saying 100% Adobe RGB tbd no doubt.  Also 600 NITs though which I think is a good bit brighter than the Dell.  This is handy as I occasionally find myself outdoor trying to show images (casually) and it's usually a losing proposition.

nemophoto

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 11:46:01 am »

It was a typo or just incomplete. The HP website says 99 or 100% AdobeRGB. The brightness is nice, but I honestly don't use mine more than about 200-250 nits because I'm doing everything for print reproduction. (i1 would default to 150 if i let it. My NEC monitors I use 200.) For me, 16GB is enough RAM since I really just use the laptop on location and have a well equipped desktop at home.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 08:48:20 am »

Here's a link to the datasheet that lists all of the options for the HP ZBook Studio x360
http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4AA7-2495ENUC&jumpid=in_r12139__us/en/psg/hp_zbook_studio_x360_workstation_mdp/resources/datasheet

(4/13/2018 : Title modified to reflect discussion of other brands)

Alex Waugh

Re: Dell XPS / HP Zbook and other 15" 2 in 1 notebooks for editing
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 07:34:17 pm »

We should see the new Dell workstations before too long as well.

Ill probably be picking up either a Dell or HP this year, I'll be looking hard at their international service / warranties though as im abroad so much. Id rather lose a bit of performance and have stellar service.

nemophoto

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 10:50:38 am »

I keep looking at the specs for the new MSI GS65 Stealth Thin, and it seems very appealing. so far, it hasn't been released anywhere in the country yet, though i did stumble upon a review a little while back. B&H has it listed, but no further info as to the release date. I almost pulled the trigger on the XPS 15 2-in1, but by the time I added tax and the pen, it was almost as expensive as the Microsoft Surface Book 2. I think I'll wait to see what comes along in the next month. My notebook is down to two working USB 3 ports, so the writing is on the wall.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2018, 02:04:04 pm »

I just saw this on Engadget.  Not sure what the functional differences will be with the XPS version.

"Dell has unveiled its new professional PC lineup, and among them was the intriguing 15-inch Precision 5530 2-in-1. Dell calls it the "world's smallest 15-inch 2-in-1 workstation," and it packs a lot of nice specs into a small, 4.36 pound body. Most interestingly, though, it comes with up to Intel's Core i7-8706G with "Radeon Pro WX Vega M GL graphics" -- the first mention of a "Pro WX" version of Intel and AMD's new compact chipset.

Other specs include 32GB of RAM max, up to 2TB of SSD storage, two Thunderbolt 3 and two USB-C 3.1 ports (that also charge it), and an all-new InfinityEdge 4K with 10-point multi-touch, optional active pen support, and 100 percent Adobe RGB coverage. In other words, the Precision 5530 2-in-1 is aimed at graphics professionals, not gamers."

https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/25/dell-2-in-1-precision-5530-radeon-pro-wx/

Joe Towner

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 12:13:56 am »

For those with TB3, the Sonnet eGFX Pucks look interesting, especially for someone who has 2 large monitors but wants something they can walk around with.  It adds GPU horsepower via the AMD XConnect.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/egfx-breakaway-puck.html
t: @PNWMF

nemophoto

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 08:51:00 am »

For those with TB3, the Sonnet eGFX Pucks look interesting, especially for someone who has 2 large monitors but wants something they can walk around with.  It adds GPU horsepower via the AMD XConnect.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/egfx-breakaway-puck.html

Interesting concept. I know a few MacBook users who don’t have desktops who could probably use that.

On this topic. I almost pulled the trigger to get the new XPS 15 2-in-1. Who knows? Maybe I was saved. I couldn’t get it before I leave on my next big shoot next week. I’m still torn between that and the MSI GS65. The question is truly, do I want 4K touch and all c-ports in something that occasionally can be a large tablet (good for the plane/movies/cramped seats), or go with FHD, and no touch, but beefier CPU and GPU? The hard thing to reconcile is that the MSI, when fully configured is the same cost as the Dell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2018, 09:32:59 am »

I saw 12% off the Dell XPS15 2 in 1 yesterday (still there) and thought about getting the 16GB version (with 4k screen) to see if it might do the job even though I want the 32GB version.  I also held off.  I'll be pounding my old XPS13 in a few weeks while away for a week, the 1st time since the LR upgrade that improved performance, so I'll see how it does (it also has 16GB) and if much better then I might get the current version ...

Piboy

• http://samwardphoto.com
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2018, 04:28:34 pm »

Had the XPS 15 notebook for 2 weeks. Old Sony vaio 8 gb laptop and dell all in one 8gb desktop really bogged down with newest lr/ps cc update. Got 4 k with 32gb. Pricey but really a screamer. Slave it to desktop monitor but may just upgrade to solo monitor. High memory stuff like hdr and panos no problems at all. So far extremely happy with the upgrade. Routine optimization in lr and photoshop instantaneous.
Sam W.
samwardphoto.com

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2018, 07:32:39 pm »

Had the XPS 15 notebook for 2 weeks. Old Sony vaio 8 gb laptop and dell all in one 8gb desktop really bogged down with newest lr/ps cc update. Got 4 k with 32gb. Pricey but really a screamer. Slave it to desktop monitor but may just upgrade to solo monitor. High memory stuff like hdr and panos no problems at all. So far extremely happy with the upgrade. Routine optimization in lr and photoshop instantaneous.

Sounds promising.   Any buggyness?  Driver problems etc?  I returned an early XPS13, XPS12 and Surface book and one other make I can't remember a couple of years ago due to some odd things that I wasn't confident would be fixed (properly).  I rebought the XPS13 when it appeared they were solved.

Just have to wait now for the 32GB 2 in 1 version ...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up