Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does your profiled monitor do this?  (Read 18919 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Does your profiled monitor do this?
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2018, 02:41:46 pm »

Since time is money as you said, your list of qualifications indicate you shouldn't be wasting your valuable time talking to us rubes on an online forum.
Rubbish, there are lots of pros (unlike you) who volunteer their time to aid others. And there are amateurs who build rabbit hoes for them to venture down.
Now what is it again you want us to believe you do for a living? 
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

texshooter

« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2018, 02:43:19 pm »

My computer is even older than my monitor.  Time to put them both out to pasture I reckon.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2018, 02:54:33 pm »

Rubbish, there are lots of pros (unlike you) who volunteer their time to aid others. And there are amateurs who build rabbit hoes for them to venture down.
Now what is it again you want us to believe you do for a living?

How have you helped the OP outside of getting him to part with more of his hard earned money?

It's none of your business what I do for a living. What difference does it make? There's plenty of retired folks online that have access to and share the same info as you. I like volunteering as well.

Your equating money with knowledge and expertise isn't a business plan. It's an opinion. Besides you seem overly obsessed in telling us how your career keeps you busy as if you think just offering practical help online isn't enough.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2018, 02:55:52 pm »

My computer is even older than my monitor.  Time to put them both out to pasture I reckon.

Good! Buy the NEC system and a new computer. My mission is accomplished.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2018, 02:58:22 pm »

A good reference display system should last many years, the computer.... ? I find it odd that at least some photographers or those who desire a high degree of color consistency and control will often post "What's the least expensive display I can buy". Or believe 4K or 5K is more important than the qualities of their display. Rarely do you hear them ask the same question about lens. Considering how important the display is, the only means of viewing what amounts to a huge pile of numbers, like a lens, I wish such buyers would consider just how important that one piece of the digital darkroom really is. I'd easily go for a slower processor or less RAM if that money had to go toward the purchase of a display! Shaving off a second or three from editing images isn't a big deal. Viewing something while editing that's a lie is nearly always a massive waste of time. Like running down rabbit holes.  ;D

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2018, 03:04:07 pm »

How have you helped the OP outside of getting him to part with more of his hard earned money?

It's none of your business what I do for a living. What difference does it make? There's plenty of retired folks online that have access to and share the same info as you. I like volunteering as well.

Your equating money with knowledge and expertise isn't a business plan. It's an opinion. Besides you seem overly obsessed in telling us how your career keeps you busy as if you think just offering practical help online isn't enough.

Without data and experience, all you've got is an opinion. I guess no, you don't own an NEC or you'd have admitted it....
Leave the discussions of color (and stop arguing with) those who make their living, and have done so for decades, writing, teaching and being paid very well to deal with color management and digital imaging. Assuming you're a plumber (or an accountant; who knows), two jobs I am not trained for, I promise not to argue with you about unclogging a toilet or how to fill out a tax form!

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2018, 03:16:37 pm »

Without data and experience, all you've got is an opinion. I guess no, you don't own an NEC or you'd have admitted it....
Leave the discussions of color (and stop arguing with) those who make their living, and have done so for decades, writing, teaching and being paid very well to deal with color management and digital imaging. Assuming you're a plumber (or an accountant; who knows), two jobs I am not trained for, I promise not to argue with you about unclogging a toilet or how to fill out a tax form!

I don't have an NEC because for 20 years as I've indicated in this thread, I never needed to spend that much money on a display but for some reason I get print matches and people are amazed at the quality of my photos.

How does buying an NEC system improve that? If it ain't broke, don't throw more money at it.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2018, 03:20:49 pm »

I don't have an NEC because for 20 years as I've indicated in this thread, I never needed to spend that much money on a display but for some reason I get print matches and people are amazed at the quality of my photos.
Without experience, without data, you're just spewing more uninformed opinions. As to the quality of your photo's, where would that be?

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2018, 03:22:08 pm »

Leave the discussions of color (and stop arguing with) those who make their living, and have done so for decades, writing, teaching and being paid very well to deal with color management and digital imaging.

I always direct my comments to the OP and the topic. I expect you and everyone else to do the same.

I don't answer to you and I certainly am not going to give up my free speech so you can conduct business in these forums.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2018, 03:30:08 pm »

You are totally free to speak whatever nonsense you desire; this is the internet. Other's are free to show the follow of your free speech. Time to move on. Like the initial question to you about if you owned a SpectraView as one example, this question probably should go unanswered: As to the quality of your photo's, where would that be?
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something". -Plato

Now before we get this thread locked down, and before the OP solves his issue, I'll leave you the last word which I'm quite certain will be an opinion without data.

“The reason there's so much ignorance on the subject of color management, is that those who have it are so eager to regularly share it!” - The Digital Dog
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 04:05:01 pm by digitaldog »

texshooter

« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2018, 05:27:45 pm »

I'll run it through dcraw in linear mode and post the results.

I'm not sure what you plan to do with these raw files in DCRaw, but here ya go. They are snapshots of my monitor screen taken with my 5D MarkII.  The first two are wedges made in PS (ProphotoRGB, 16bit) and viewed from PS. The last one is a screen shot of Tim's wedge viewed directly at LULA and using the Chrome browser.  I see color seepage in all three images. My monitor profile selected was made using the native WP, 2.2 gamma, and 120cd settings with the ColorMunki Photo puck and i1Studio software.

Step Wedge_Posterized_Viewed from PS

Step Wedge_Smooth_Viewed from PS

Tim_Wedge_Viewed from LULA and Chrome

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2018, 06:18:31 pm »

I'm not sure what you plan to do with these raw files in DCRaw, but here ya go. They are snapshots of my monitor screen taken with my 5D MarkII.  The first two are wedges made in PS (ProphotoRGB, 16bit) and viewed from PS. The last one is a screen shot of Tim's wedge viewed directly at LULA and using the Chrome browser.  I see color seepage in all three images. My monitor profile selected was made using the native WP, 2.2 gamma, and 120cd settings with the ColorMunki Photo puck and i1Studio software.

If you're going to get a new computer and display why even bother with this?

I downloaded the cr2 of my step wedge and noticed you used AWB. I can't see anything off in the highlight wedges. The whites are blown so I reduced Exposure to get it to look normal.

I get close to R=G=B with maybe a bit of a blue bias (R232,G232,B234) in the area in question. Your YouTube video showed more off color.

Also you have a lot of red/green/blue more´due to the pixel grid of your display. Makes it hard to tell tints from the more´
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 06:22:26 pm by Tim Lookingbill »

TonyW

« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2018, 06:51:15 pm »

Due to the system age as I said earlier I do believe that you will be a lot happier with a new system including PC monitor and update to Win 10, assuming you have the budget for it.

If the issues you are experiencing can be cured is anyone’s guess but one thing that sticks out in your latest screenshots is what appears to be vertical banding over the whole screen, slight but there in the light areas as well as darker. 

Somehow I do not think this is camera generated issue but a flaw somewhere in the graphics system. 

Not able to ascertain what resolution you are running at but what happens to these images if you set the screen resolution lower than current setting?  I suspect that you will be running at max/default but if not try that as well

Doug Gray

« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2018, 07:25:03 pm »

As Tim noted, the image has a lot of moiré. The impact is uncertain due to possible non-linear CFA conversion algorithms. This is why I asked for the strip to be photographed at 20% to 40% of the camera frame as well as setting the small, F16, aperture.

There are other issues. When displaying it in Photoshop, use 100% zoom. Fractional zoom settings have less than perfect interpolation in Photoshop.

So, I'll be more specific in what is necessary to prevent aliasing (moiré). Resample the image of the continuous and step wedges in Photoshop so that the long side is 1200 pixels. Zoom the images to 100%. The strips should take up about half the monitor screen width. Then take a picture so that the monitor screen width about half fills the camera's image. This should produce a wedge that is about 25% of the full image horizontal size.

I only need the Photoshop images.

But given all that it really isn't bad. I converted the image to a linear RGB space and ran a heavy Gaussian blur (8 pix). There is not an unreasonable amount of color shift. It's within range of a typical monitor and video card LUT driven display neutral tone. Variation is within 1.5 dE and typically much less. Frankly, I'm surprised it's that close with the moiré.  It's much less than the apparent color shifts in the video. Could be some sort of aliasing against the video recorder which may exaggerate shifts.

Sorry but I can't be more precise w/o a moiré free image.

texshooter

« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2018, 09:40:16 pm »

Patient says:  Doc, it hurts when I do this.
Doctor says:  Then stop doing that.

I didn't have a problem until I started staring at step wedges, so I will stop staring at step wedges.

Thank you for all the sound advice. I'm getting on with my life.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 11:35:20 am by texshooter »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up