Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji X-H1 announced  (Read 10125 times)

armand

• Photos
Re: Fuji X-H1 announced
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2018, 04:41:47 pm »

Good representation of the Fuji film profiles.

Rand47

Re: Fuji X-H1 manual now on line
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2018, 08:50:37 am »

Rand Scott Adams

DP

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2018, 09:18:03 pm »

spent time with X-H1 since March 1 ::

slowpoke AF (I have XF50/2, I can only imagine how the first generation of XF lenses are working), no one button Eye AF, no face detection exposure metering (with known placement of face skin areas in terms of sensor saturation), IBIS humming (Sony is dead silent), flimsy & cheap command dials ... now I know what Kaizen is firsthand... it is a short for inability to design tech and write firmware  ;D ...

armand

• Photos
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2018, 10:52:33 pm »

spent time with X-H1 since March 1 ::

slowpoke AF (I have XF50/2, I can only imagine how the first generation of XF lenses are working), no one button Eye AF, no face detection exposure metering (with known placement of face skin areas in terms of sensor saturation), IBIS humming (Sony is dead silent), flimsy & cheap command dials ... now I know what Kaizen is firsthand... it is a short for inability to design tech and write firmware  ;D ...

Curious, why did you spend the time with it?
You did not really have the intention to buy a Fuji, did you?

I have no experience with it and don’t plan to buy it but unless they cheapened on the dials vs the X-T2, on the latter they are fine. The ergonomics are pretty good and along with the menu and the configurable buttons make the X-T2 my easiest to use camera.
On my X-T2 I configured a button where I access the face/eye focus menu and you can choose from auto or you can specify exactly which eye should be in focus. Fast enough for me and a little more flexible.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2018, 10:58:38 pm »

Btw, on the X-T2 the focus is not the fastest but is serviceable. Has some issues with acquisition in particular, more so when the light in poor. On the X-H1 they allegedly improved it.
It wouldn’t be my choice for fast sports or maybe fast moving nature (birds on fly for example) but it’s good enough for the rest. I would like it to be faster but it’s not the limiting factor in most shots.

DP

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2018, 01:22:18 am »

Curious, why did you spend the time with it?

I like to render my opinions after enough time with the gear... so I purchase gear  ;)

And oh dear, when you want to review a picture and press review button - Fuji stops IBIS operation with loud bang & shake indicating sensor parking (the only time when IBIS humming actually stops) and when you exit picture review Fuji starts IBIS operation back with again loud bang & shake of sensor unparking... now that is some fit of Kaizen engineering  ;D

DP

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2018, 01:26:27 am »

You did not really have the intention to buy a Fuji, did you?

I actually did purchase X-H1  :D

On my X-T2 I configured a button where I access the face/eye focus menu

do you understand a difference between just pressing a button once to lock on an eye at any moment even when face detection disabled, so not to interfere with your regular focusing (Sony) and pressing a button go to to menu, scroll in menu, activate face/eye detection, locking on eye, then after shooting, going back to that menu, disabling face/eye detection, etc (Fuji) ? Kaizen !
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 01:36:34 am by DP »

DP

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2018, 01:33:18 am »

Btw, on the X-T2 the focus is not the fastest but is serviceable.

that will be a polite way to put it  :P

On the X-H1 they allegedly improved it.

lucky me for not experiencing X-T2 then  ;D

Rand47

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2018, 06:19:36 am »

I actually did purchase X-H1  . . .

I’m guessing you don’t plan to keep it.  It’s a shame you didn’t rent instead - less money wasted.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

armand

• Photos
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2018, 09:13:56 am »

It's a different mindset between buying to keep and get one just to see what's wrong with it.

Sony was pretty bad in beginning, and before Fuji convinced the masses, followed by Olympus, that kaizen is the way to properly do things Song's answer was a new model.

Remind me, on which "pro" Olympus model were the buttons or wheels falling off?

Fuji has issues but no manufacturer has a perfect model. You make it sound like that button is the difference between a good camera and a bad one. That's quite laughable as there are only a few instances where it could really make a difference. There are more ways to skin a cat. Would it be nice if Fuji would be able to do it? Maybe. Does it offer a good alternative? Yes.

I think I have less bias in this compared to some. Even if I use the Fuji the most I have 2 other systems, the Nikon and m43 that get their fair share. I also have cameras from Sony and Panasonic (and Canon but that doesn't get used these days) so I'm brand agnostic.

DP

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2018, 11:08:33 am »

It's a different mindset between buying to keep and get one just to see what's wrong with it.

I am giving a fair try to Fuji and unlike people who praise everything that comes their way I report things as they are - there is no point to whitewash things ... if Fuji X-H1's rotating control dials (front and rear) are flimsy and feel like cheap plastic, w/o any good ribs on them that has to be said... it is a good solid body and grip - but most of controls are subpar to it (except AE-L & AF-ON buttons and may be a joystick)... hopefully Fuji will get to matching controls to a camera body in X-H2 version... meanwhile we will be getting used to what we have.

Sony was pretty bad in beginning

it was (think A7R with shutter shock)... however Sony already did good on 2nd iteration of FF dSLMs and better on 3rd iteration... Fuji ? X-H1 is a 3rd generation camera body (1st gen X-T1 -> 2nd gen X-T2 -> 3rd gen X-H1) already ... they had enough time... certainly cameras are their per project and they don't want to invest in a massive effort to fix everything

DP

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2018, 11:16:48 am »

I’m guessing you don’t plan to keep it.  It’s a shame you didn’t rent instead - less money wasted.

Rand

money come and go, I once purchased a newly released Olympus E-PL-something just to pry sensor from it to see if the markings on that 16mp were from Sony or Panasonic (turned out it was a Sony sensor) - that was when no reports from ChipWorks about new 16mp sensors used by Olympus were yet available ...

as for X-H1 I will keep it - it still can be used as a daylight camera to shoot non faces... for more challenging tasks it will be Sony - one need a camera that can find an eye instantly with a press of a button and w/o a hassle ;) and a camera that has firmware written to actually meter the exposure of the face AF locks on.

Rand47

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2018, 02:47:50 pm »

money come and go, I once purchased a newly released Olympus E-PL-something just to pry sensor from it to see if the markings on that 16mp were from Sony or Panasonic (turned out it was a Sony sensor) - that was when no reports from ChipWorks about new 16mp sensors used by Olympus were yet available ...

as for X-H1 I will keep it - it still can be used as a daylight camera to shoot non faces... for more challenging tasks it will be Sony - one need a camera that can find an eye instantly with a press of a button and w/o a hassle ;) and a camera that has firmware written to actually meter the exposure of the face AF locks on.

Now I'm really curious.  What is it about the X-H1 that makes it worth keeping, then?

Rand
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 10:39:58 pm by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

Rand47

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2018, 01:44:10 pm »

I’ve had my X-H1 for a day or so now.  All configured they way I like it.  I’m very much enjoying this camera.  Much better high ISO than my X-T2 (figure a firmware update will make them even again at some point).   Grip is MUCH better than X-T2 - that was the only “take down” for me from going from dSLR to Fuji when I bought my X-T1 (large hands).  EVF is very detailed and bright.  With grip and boost mode there is zero lag/drag in the EVF. 

And the IBIS is nothing short of excellent.  Hand-holding the 16-55 @ 55mm down to 1/8th second is easily doable/repeatable with good camera holding technique. 

The body feels more rigid/rugged.  The grip fitment is more organic, following the lines of the camera much better than the “attached square brick” with the funny vertical “add on” of the X-T2 grip.

Shutter button improvement is very nice, indeed.  Some complain that it is too soft... but I find it just about perfect.  After about one minute using it, finding the half-press, vs the “shoot” press is quite easily dialed in, and makes for very accurate shutter trip w/o inducing camera movement.  Shutter is very quiet. 

I love the e-ink top sub lcd that retains frames remaining, EC settings (or not), and battery status even with the camera off.  VERY nice.

Some have lamented the loss of the dedicated EC dial.  I sure don’t.  Setting the EC button to “toggle on and off” (which is remembered even with camera off) makes for very easy EC adjustment with rear command wheel.  Since EC setting is visible in EVF, LCD and on sub lcd panel, there’s still obvious indication of EC settings.  I like it better and am much less apt to accidentally adjust EC with this set up.

The Eterna Film Simulation is really nice, even for stills photos.  I’ve not yet ventured into video.

I’m very pleased with this machine, it is a worthwhile upgrade to X-T2 based on my own preferences in ergos, the IBIS, the EC implementation, robustness of the body construction, and a lot of other small refinements like the push button (rather than fiddle slide button) for releasing the LCD for vertical tip-out, etc.

Rand
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 02:16:07 pm by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

armand

• Photos
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2018, 03:14:16 pm »

I certainly hope some of the features will trickle down to the X-T2.
Regarding better high ISO, as far as I know the sensor is the same; are you talking about jpegs?

IBIS would be nice and maybe I would have put up with the increase in size for it but I find it unacceptable that they didn't use this opportunity to increase the battery size. It's a new line, people would have accepted it same as they are for the new Sony A7iii. Now the next body will feature a new battery which means it will be messy to keep using the current one as a backup or it will be even more limited by it. This feels like too much cost cutting or/and trying to rush the product out.

Rand47

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2018, 03:58:47 pm »

I certainly hope some of the features will trickle down to the X-T2.
Regarding better high ISO, as far as I know the sensor is the same; are you talking about jpegs?

IBIS would be nice and maybe I would have put up with the increase in size for it but I find it unacceptable that they didn't use this opportunity to increase the battery size. It's a new line, people would have accepted it same as they are for the new Sony A7iii. Now the next body will feature a new battery which means it will be messy to keep using the current one as a backup or it will be even more limited by it. This feels like too much cost cutting or/and trying to rush the product out.

I wondered about the battery also, but so far (with the grip attached) I’m getting easily a typical day’s shooting w/o having to swap batteries.  It makes me wonder if Fuji is betting on advances in size/performance for their batteries.

High ISO, yes, so far only seen differences in jpegs (just beginning to test seriously).  Here’s a link that is quite amazing:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/fuji-x-h1/fuji-x-h1A7.HTM

I’ve always found that the high ISO noise handling of Fuji’s jpegs to be superior to what I can squeeze out of raws in Lightroom.  Kinda makes me grumpy, and I’m not too bad at post-processing.  I shoot raw+fine jpeg so have my choice.  I’ll even take a step over the line here and say that Fuji’s jpegs are pretty malleable in terms of doing adjustments in LR w/o having them go all wonky with artifacts.  I’m going to experiment with film simulation bracketing + raw over the next month or so.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Rand47

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2018, 10:24:55 am »

One week on . . . I’m very impressed with this camera.  I appreciate the ergonomics and robust construction.  BUT - Fuji’s strong suit IS NOT intelligible instruction manuals.  The implementation of Bluetooth being a good example. 

Kevin.... any chance of doing a deep-dive video as you did with the earlier X camera?  This one really needs it!

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2018, 11:29:20 am »

I'm getting to know the camera myself.  Only had mine for a few days.  I'll have to see if the HDMI output will allow menu capture.  If it does I'll consider doing a video on this camera.  I also got the Macro lens and will be testing it.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

DP

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2018, 01:41:45 pm »

I'm getting to know the camera myself. 

how is your finger in gloves (put gloves on for the sake of testing) feels to move selector from spot metering to average and back... happy finger ?

Rand47

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2018, 03:21:30 pm »

how is your finger in gloves (put gloves on for the sake of testing) feels to move selector from spot metering to average and back... happy finger ?

There’s a little more room than with the X-T2, but it is still a snug fit.  So, “better” but still challenging with thick gloves.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up