Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Trophy hunter shot while shooting lions  (Read 17531 times)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Trophy hunter shot while shooting lions
« on: January 29, 2018, 10:59:42 pm »

A 75-year old man was shot dead at a North West captive-bred lion hunting farm in South Africa. Pero Jelinic, from Croatia, and two other Croatians, were hunting captive-bred lions at Leeubosch Lodge near Setlagole, when the incident occurred. The hunting party had already killed a lion, and were tracking a second cat, when Jelinic was struck by a bullet.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5325943/Big-game-hunter-killed-stalked-lions-South-Africa.html

James Clark

Re: Trophy hunter shot while shooting lions
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 11:05:51 pm »

That's too bad.  Sort of. 

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 11:56:45 pm »

It's only fair to give the lions guns, too.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 01:08:58 am »

Coincidentally, I shot yesterday a captive Australian sugar glider. Much less dangerous.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 02:28:51 am by LesPalenik »

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 04:55:51 am »

Oh how very sad, never mind.

I get the idea of hunting for food, but killing things just for the fun of it? That requires a twisted personality. Society is better off without them.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 05:14:18 am »

I get the idea of hunting for food, but killing things just for the fun of it? That requires a twisted personality. Society is better off without them.

So are the animals!

Otto Phocus

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 06:26:42 am »

So what happened to the second lion????
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Two23

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 09:40:09 am »

I wouldn't say "twisted."  One huge aspect you're missing is these sort of places are actually doing some good.  They do increase the gene pool of the animals, and more importantly they are saving large tracts of viable habitat.  What you are calling a "twisted personality" I'm calling a preservationist.  The landowners have found a way to put value on wild animals, and I think in the broad picture they are better off because of that.  The local Sioux Indians here have done something similar.  They have decent sized herds of buffalo on their reservations, and offer "hunts" for them.  While I personally don't see much difference in going out with a .30-06 and shooting a cow out in a field and one of these buffalo "hunts," the Indians I've talked to said they get $5,000 to $7,000 for each critter.  Don't tell anyone from out of state, but I think you could just buy a buffalo for about $1,500, take it back to your farm and shoot it, and save a lot of money.  Neither of these hunts have any appeal to me, but I applaud the Indians for coming up with a clever way to make some needed income, and landowners in Africa for finding a way to preserve habitat.  As for lions, I'd never go out and shoot one, including the wild mountain lions we have in my state.  I'm a cat lover. :)

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 09:58:28 am »

Les, I have to ask what is the point of this post? It has nothing to do with photography, and the moderators said no more politics. It is not political? Just check the usual lefties'gloating over the loss of human life, just because they disagree with their opinion.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 10:40:16 am »

... the usual lefties'gloating over the loss of human life, just because they disagree with their opinion.

Wow. You really do know how to a) misrepresent people, b) make huge generalisations, and c) make things personal when there really is no need. Well done, Slobodan.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 11:09:47 am »

Wow. You really do know how to a) misrepresent people, b) make huge generalisations, and c) make things personal when there really is no need. Well done, Slobodan.
+1
pieter, aka pegelli

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 11:55:56 am »

Here we go again.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 12:01:44 pm »

As they say, s--t happens!

Shooting with a telephoto makes much less harm...

Best regards
Erik

A 75-year old man was shot dead at a North West captive-bred lion hunting farm in South Africa. Pero Jelinic, from Croatia, and two other Croatians, were hunting captive-bred lions at Leeubosch Lodge near Setlagole, when the incident occurred. The hunting party had already killed a lion, and were tracking a second cat, when Jelinic was struck by a bullet.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5325943/Big-game-hunter-killed-stalked-lions-South-Africa.html
Erik Kaffehr

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 12:59:20 pm »

So sorry that the truth hurts.

Who was saying, sarcastically "how very sad'? Who was generalizing that sport hunters have "twisted personality"? Who was saying that "the society is better off without them"?

A Michigan dentist who (legally) shot a lion with bow and arrow had to go into hiding because of death threats. In a recent Hollywood movie, one of the heroes' definition of "sport hunting" was to use a sniper rifle against bow & arrow lion hunters. So what am I misrepresenting?

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 01:07:10 pm »

Nothing to do with politics; everything to do with cruelty to animals.

Did any of you see Jean-Claude van Damme's one good movie, Hard Target? It offered a wonderful alternative for hunting which, at a stroke, would also help with human conservation, if such concepts are applicable to all animals. A fine culling is such a sweet idea, don't you think, especially when it's a consensual contract between the parties.

Rob

pegelli

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 01:08:12 pm »

pieter, aka pegelli

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 01:09:59 pm »

Participation in CC is optional; why attempt to deny all users when only two topics, politics and religion, are taboo?

Frankly, if it falls victim to political correctness, then the attraction of LuLa is diminished to a considerable degree; it may cease to remain the attractive place that it currently is.

As for my being a "leftie", I think anyone on the left will have fainted on reading that statement! Which might not be all bad!  ;-)  -  just a little joke!

Rob
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 01:18:13 pm by Rob C »

pegelli

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 01:10:40 pm »

So what am I misrepresenting?
The other posters here, none of the "facts" you state as a defense for your accusation have been done by anybody on this forum.

Btw, I'm not even a lefty, so I don't feel personally insulted by your comment, I just think it's a new low in here.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 01:25:56 pm by pegelli »
pieter, aka pegelli

James Clark

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 01:46:27 pm »

Les, I have to ask what is the point of this post? It has nothing to do with photography, and the moderators said no more politics. It is not political? Just check the usual lefties'gloating over the loss of human life, just because they disagree with their opinion.

To be clear, I'm not gloating over the loss of a human life.  I'm not anti-gun, nor am I a PETA sympathizer.  I do not elevate animals over humans. This is not a political issue.  In fact, this is a very, very difficult position for me intellectually.  I abhor the taking of a human life.  I believe it's wrong for an individual to take a life, and I believe it's wrong for the state to take a life.  I don't celebrate the loss of the life referenced in the OP, and I believe it's a tragedy for the people who loved Mr. Jelinic.

That said, I find sport hunting cruel, and I think very little of people who find pleasure in ending the life of a living creature for no better reason than to hang a trophy on their walls.  We are (we think) unique in the world in that we are able to understand, empathize and alter our actions accordingly.  So while, as I said, I do not elevate animals over humans, I DO believe that humans have the ability to rationalize and consider purpose while animals do not, and with that comes a responsibility to empathize.  Mr. Jelinic cared not for the fear, pain and suffering caused another creature, and his loss means that another creature my survive to live another day or three.

That pleases me, just as the pain felt by HIS loved ones and the denial of the rest of his natural life saddens me.  There's a fairly-easy-to-imagine world in which Mr. Jelinic AND the cats in question would still be alive.  That both are gone is a failure.  Animals should be shot with lenses, nothing more.

Hopefully this offers a more comprehensive understanding that won't be written of as "leftist gloating."
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 01:56:14 pm by James Clark »

Two23

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 01:58:43 pm »

Well, I guess I did try to completely avoid any of the ad hominem stuff and simply offer a broader point of view.  I too lament the tendency for things to quickly get personal.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up