Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Some advance info on Lr7.2  (Read 8868 times)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Some advance info on Lr7.2
« on: January 29, 2018, 12:04:13 pm »

Just noticed this article on fstoppers which may interest people here.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Some advance info on Lr7.2
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 12:08:27 pm »

I wonder whether he is allowed to publish stuff like that pre-release?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 12:23:02 pm »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 12:23:11 pm »

I wonder whether he is allowed to publish stuff like that pre-release?

I was told that he is, Mark.

John

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 01:19:15 pm »

Interesting. I wonder what the background is - Adobe concerned about something? One would think they don't need to create buzz around a dot release unless there is reason. I wonder if it's the speed issue. I've been using 7.1 for a while now, I do all my photo editing in Lr - it's a daily diet, and frankly I've been impressed with the improvements over previous versions, including speed.

jrsforums

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 01:31:48 pm »

Interesting. I wonder what the background is - Adobe concerned about something? One would think they don't need to create buzz around a dot release unless there is reason. I wonder if it's the speed issue. I've been using 7.1 for a while now, I do all my photo editing in Lr - it's a daily diet, and frankly I've been impressed with the improvements over previous versions, including speed.

I find it interesting that we all complain when they tell us nothing, but question when they do 😁

Frankly, from a product marketing basis, I think it is a good idea if you can release coming news, just being careful to not overly build expectations, which can bite you in the backside if not fulfilled
John

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 01:35:48 pm »

I find it interesting that we all complain when they tell us nothing, but question when they do 😁

Frankly, from a product marketing basis, I think it is a good idea if you can release coming news, just being careful to not overly build expectations, which can bite you in the backside if not fulfilled

Hi John, I think it's normal and healthy to always wonder "why" when changes occur. Helps us learn things. And yes, I'd expect they would allow testers to release information once they are confident enough to do so for the very reason you mention. So possibly onward and upward!

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 01:44:01 pm »

It sounds like it's more a case of letting some of these sites have early access to the 7.2 build, Mark - not allowing testers to talk. I guess Adobe feel they need some good press.

John

jrsforums

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 01:49:21 pm »

Yes, I would expect they let out the anticipated 7.2 release build, which is probably still going through some regression testing prior to actual release.
John

rdonson

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 05:48:25 pm »

I'm guessing that once 7.2 is available we'll all get another Adobe survey to see if we still bitch about Lr performance.   :)
Regards,
Ron

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 07:36:48 pm »

My thoughts are that, this is more about dealing with the perception, by many users, that Lightroom Classic CC is a dying product scheduled to be replaced by the new Lightroom CC (The cloud based photo service) as tagged in the Creative Cloud App. The view the tag Classic as historic.
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 07:46:54 pm »

My thoughts are that, this is more about dealing with the perception, by many users, that Lightroom Classic CC is a dying product scheduled to be replaced by the new Lightroom CC (The cloud based photo service) as tagged in the Creative Cloud App. The view the tag Classic as historic.

Perhaps, and I was always of the view, FWIW, that this perception has no basis in fact.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 07:50:19 pm »

And I'll add to that - I view the "Classic" descriptor as meaning "traditional, here to stay". We are still listening to "Classical" music written in the 17th century. We are still reading "Classics" written from  as far back as the written word. The perception you are referring to developed in total ignorance of what Adobe really means by "Classic". So different people can have different opinions about it, but the fact is that Adobe has said nothing about phasing out this version and is doing everything to further develop it.

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 08:00:30 pm »

And I'll add to that - I view the "Classic" descriptor as meaning "traditional, here to stay". We are still listening to "Classical" music written in the 17th century. We are still reading "Classics" written from  as far back as the written word. The perception you are referring to developed in total ignorance of what Adobe really means by "Classic". So different people can have different opinions about it, but the fact is that Adobe has said nothing about phasing out this version and is doing everything to further develop it.
I totally agree but that may be how over 40's perceive the term, Classic. The model T Ford is considered a Classic Automobile and younger individuals view the tag as relating to discontinued products.
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 08:19:16 pm »

I totally agree but that may be how over 40's perceive the term, Classic. The model T Ford is considered a Classic Automobile and younger individuals view the tag as relating to discontinued products.

Well yes, I guess some classic is here to stay and be used, while other classic is here but not to be used. Perhaps Adobe should have found a less ambiguous name for it so that young and old would have the same understanding! But what's in a name - evidence so far indicates we will be using "Lightroom Classic" for years to come, even while the name may well change again in the future.

Damon Lynch

• http://www.damonlynch.net
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 08:56:25 pm »

So maybe CC will no longer be short for "Constant Custard"  8)

tomhogarty

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 09:27:25 pm »

Hi John, I think it's normal and healthy to always wonder "why" when changes occur. Helps us learn things. And yes, I'd expect they would allow testers to release information once they are confident enough to do so for the very reason you mention. So possibly onward and upward!

Yes, talking about an update before we ship that update is unusual for me and honestly a little outside my comfort zone.  I've always preferred to demonstrate Adobe's product direction with product rather than promises of what's to come.  However it's become clear to the team and my execs that Adobe needs to be more proactive in our communication with customers when it comes to Lightroom.  And personally, I'm excited about this next release because it really does move the needle on some CPU and Memory optimizations(My primary computer is a 2013 MBP and I'm seeing a 35% improvement on tasks like time to export). 

If customers appreciate the advance notice and the dialog we'll keep doing it.  If it starts to feel like we're doing more talking than shipping, also let me know.

Regards,
Tom Hogarty
Adobe Systems

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 10:29:01 pm »

Yes, talking about an update before we ship that update is unusual for me and honestly a little outside my comfort zone.  I've always preferred to demonstrate Adobe's product direction with product rather than promises of what's to come.  However it's become clear to the team and my execs that Adobe needs to be more proactive in our communication with customers when it comes to Lightroom.  And personally, I'm excited about this next release because it really does move the needle on some CPU and Memory optimizations(My primary computer is a 2013 MBP and I'm seeing a 35% improvement on tasks like time to export). 

If customers appreciate the advance notice and the dialog we'll keep doing it.  If it starts to feel like we're doing more talking than shipping, also let me know.

Regards,
Tom Hogarty
Adobe Systems

Hi Tom,

I much appreciate the move to more pro-active communication with customers. I remember when the Lr team did this in the very early days of the application and all involved derived substantial benefit from it, costly as it must have been to manage it. I work in this application day-in day-out and think it is generally excellent. I also see some noticeable improvement in various aspects of version 7.1, so really looking forward to 7.2. I hope Adobe staff will remain open for on-going suggestions from customers and discussion with Adobe staff regarding the evolution of the feature set outside the formal constraints of the beta testing framework, which can be difficult for some to embrace for various reasons. I think it's already a great set of tools, but I also think there is scope for on-going significant development.

Mark

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 12:38:38 pm »

The subscription model changes the behavior of Adobe. Some current customers feel/believe the current subscription model acts as a disincentive for Adobe to worl harder on future upgrades for current users. They em to make upgrades to attract new smart phone based photographers. Under the past license model Adobe LR needed to roll out new improvements in order for us to pay more money to Adobe. Many feel that Adobe has less incentive to roll out improvements now that they have us on a monthly plan. Many people (me included) signed on to the subscription model reluctantly as there are few other comparable products. There are other RAW rendering and DAM products that may be maturing in the next few months that do NOT require a subscription fee.
I think this is a marketing move to keep a few of the subscribers from looking at maturing competitors.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 12:47:22 pm »

The subscription model changes the behavior of Adobe. Some current customers feel/believe the current subscription model acts as a disincentive for Adobe to worl harder on future upgrades for current users. They em to make upgrades to attract new smart phone based photographers. Under the past license model Adobe LR needed to roll out new improvements in order for us to pay more money to Adobe. Many feel that Adobe has less incentive to roll out improvements now that they have us on a monthly plan. Many people (me included) signed on to the subscription model reluctantly as there are few other comparable products. There are other RAW rendering and DAM products that may be maturing in the next few months that do NOT require a subscription fee.
I think this is a marketing move to keep a few of the subscribers from looking at maturing competitors.

Can you provide evidence showing that since the introduction of the subscription approach there has been a decrease of product innovation relative to that which occurred over the two years before the introduction of the subscription approach, for either Photoshop or Lightroom? This discussion and the "feel/believe" business has been going on for a very long time. I think it is high time to replace conspiracy theories with some indisputable facts, otherwise discussing this contention is a waste of time. And by the way, no serious company will take the time, expense and effort to change their whole business strategy for the sake of keeping "a few of the subscribers" from looking at competitors - they expect to lose some and they just let them walk. As long as the vast majority subscribes, all else equal they're keeping their shareholders satisfied.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up