Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profoto 7A Portable power  (Read 1669 times)

Conner999

Profoto 7A Portable power
« on: January 23, 2018, 08:06:54 am »

Anyone ever run a 7A (on slow recycle & measured pace obviously), off a Dynalite XP1100 inverter or similar?

I know a Honda Eu2000i 2000w/13A genny will work, but curious about the XP1100 with it's 9.8A continuous, 19.8A peak draw. The XP1100, while older, is a beast and personal experience has it handing Acute packs & monos with aplomb.

If no to above, anyone happen to know the current draw of a 7A on slow recycle? Profoto's data so far just shows 15A (110V) - I assume at full tilt.

We have some 7B2s, an AcuteB (but selling it) and some Profoto monos plus multiple XP1100s and would like to add a 7A primarily for AC use, but would be nice if could handle some slower paced work off AC.

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
Re: Profoto 7A Portable power
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 04:14:17 pm »

Unfortunately I have no personal experience with Profoto running off an inverter, but may I ask how you plan to feed the inverter? We have been working with Grafit and Scoro packs running from a similar inverter and alternately also carried a beefy PSU on location, when working on a location where petrol gennys were not allowed. Our main issue was the limited duration and weight (!) of the batteries. Take into consideration that all mains powered units won´t be optimized for efficiency and draw some amount of power even in standby, also a conventional strobe unit like the Pro7 (or Grafit in our case) are a very difficult load for any inverter. You´d probably better use a modern design with PFC like the Pro8 (or Scoro in our case) If you can somehow work with a Honda or similar genny I really suggest to use this instead if you cannot use dedicated battery powered strobes (they are available with high output today, double the power by the use of a twin head). Just my thoughts, hope this helps. Cheers!

Conner999

Re: Profoto 7A Portable power
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 07:22:01 am »

Thanks very much Ulf.   We have some 7B2s and I was curious if the XP1100 would work to power a 7A on slow cycle. I suspect it will, but as you say -  the issue is the duration of a given battery. We have three XP1100s so i guess it would be an 'if needed only' at low power unless we had a genny.  The 7As are attractive use to their low pricing vs. a Pro8.

Thanks encore

Rob

Pages: [1]   Go Up