Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profoto 7A Portable power  (Read 844 times)

Conner999

Profoto 7A Portable power
« on: January 23, 2018, 08:06:54 AM »

Anyone ever run a 7A (on slow recycle & measured pace obviously), off a Dynalite XP1100 inverter or similar?

I know a Honda Eu2000i 2000w/13A genny will work, but curious about the XP1100 with it's 9.8A continuous, 19.8A peak draw. The XP1100, while older, is a beast and personal experience has it handing Acute packs & monos with aplomb.

If no to above, anyone happen to know the current draw of a 7A on slow recycle? Profoto's data so far just shows 15A (110V) - I assume at full tilt.

We have some 7B2s, an AcuteB (but selling it) and some Profoto monos plus multiple XP1100s and would like to add a 7A primarily for AC use, but would be nice if could handle some slower paced work off AC.

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
Re: Profoto 7A Portable power
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 04:14:17 PM »

Unfortunately I have no personal experience with Profoto running off an inverter, but may I ask how you plan to feed the inverter? We have been working with Grafit and Scoro packs running from a similar inverter and alternately also carried a beefy PSU on location, when working on a location where petrol gennys were not allowed. Our main issue was the limited duration and weight (!) of the batteries. Take into consideration that all mains powered units wonŽt be optimized for efficiency and draw some amount of power even in standby, also a conventional strobe unit like the Pro7 (or Grafit in our case) are a very difficult load for any inverter. YouŽd probably better use a modern design with PFC like the Pro8 (or Scoro in our case) If you can somehow work with a Honda or similar genny I really suggest to use this instead if you cannot use dedicated battery powered strobes (they are available with high output today, double the power by the use of a twin head). Just my thoughts, hope this helps. Cheers!

Conner999

Re: Profoto 7A Portable power
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 07:22:01 AM »

Thanks very much Ulf.   We have some 7B2s and I was curious if the XP1100 would work to power a 7A on slow cycle. I suspect it will, but as you say -  the issue is the duration of a given battery. We have three XP1100s so i guess it would be an 'if needed only' at low power unless we had a genny.  The 7As are attractive use to their low pricing vs. a Pro8.

Thanks encore

Rob

Pages: [1]   Go Up