Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: US Government shutdown  (Read 7182 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: US Government shutdown
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 12:11:37 pm »

...The media seems to be nothing but a fount of negativity and deception.  It has turned into Pravda...

Indeed. How the times have changed. Russians used to say that there is no truth in Pravda (Russian for "truth"), nor news in Izvestiya (Russian for "news"). Americans today have fake news. American media today have turned into a propaganda arm of the coup attempts.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2018, 12:11:52 pm »

Well, I'll tell you, a government "shutdown" is just awful. We have to withdraw our troops from the field, ground all aircraft since the FAA can't operate, bring all our ships into port, etc., etc., etc. And you guys are worried about parks?

What incredible horse-hockey. A "government shutdown" is a Kabuki performance presented in Washington DC. In the long run the only people affected are the politicians who caused the "shutdown." Last time it was Republicans.

Is it? Or is it a matter of perspective, like with photography ...
Moderate Republican senators urge firmer pledge on immigration from McConnell
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-shutdown-republicans/moderate-republican-senators-urge-firmer-pledge-on-immigration-from-mcconnell-idUSKBN1FB24L

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2018, 12:16:12 pm »

Believe me, Bart, it's NOTHING like photography.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2018, 12:18:24 pm »

Believe me, Bart, it's NOTHING like photography.

Are you sure, Russ; have you considered Billy Eggleston?

;-)

RSL

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2018, 12:20:49 pm »

Well, I'd have to think about that one for a while.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2018, 12:30:25 pm »

This is all about the mid-term elections.  None of these officials cares a whit about "dreamers", shutdown, etc, just what effect it will have on gaining or keeping power.  We really need term limits.  It will stop stupid things like this, make officials more responsive to doing what's right, increase government efficiency, and reduce waste.  These people should go home and find real jobs.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2018, 12:32:28 pm »

We'll find out in a few hours when they vote again whether this thing will drag on.  There was a time when the Federal government could have shut down for a year and nobody would notice.

Was that when America was great?
-MattB

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2018, 01:02:20 pm »

RSL

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2018, 01:56:33 pm »

Kabuki performance over. To be rerun in February.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2018, 05:20:18 pm »

Kabuki performance over. To be rerun in February.
And probably an exact rerun of this performance.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Cornfield

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2018, 06:15:00 pm »

Thanks for all the replies to my post.  Good to hear the concern about access to the parks has been resolved and my forty year wish to visit Yosemite can be fulfilled providing world war three does not start within the next few weeks :>)

Someone more famous than me once said "two countries separated by a common language".  This keeps coming to mind when I (in the UK) try to understand some of the crazy reports we get from the US on a host of issues, especially politics. 

RSL

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2018, 06:22:12 pm »

Well, US politics is wild, but good heavens, Corn, look around you.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2018, 06:24:55 pm »

Well, I'll tell you, a government "shutdown" is just awful. We have to withdraw our troops from the field, ground all aircraft since the FAA can't operate, bring all our ships into port, etc., etc., etc. And you guys are worried about parks?

What incredible horse-hockey. A "government shutdown" is a Kabuki performance presented in Washington DC. In the long run the only people affected are the politicians who caused the "shutdown." Last time it was Republicans. This time it's Democrats. Dumb move, Chuckie and Nance. Even CNN is on your case.
Russ,

You are totally ignorant about the shutdown and what services will be shut down.  Military, FAA and other critical operations continue just as they did in previous shutdowns.  The more important point that you are overlooking is that this vote was for a budget that was supposed to have begun on October 1, 2017 (e.g., last year) when the government fiscal year begins.  The Republicans were in charge of the entire authorization and appropriations process since January 20, 2017 and they could not even do the simplest of tasks, pass a budget by the beginning of the new fiscal year.  This is wholly on the Republicans!! 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2018, 06:42:19 pm »

Russ,

You are totally ignorant...

That's a personal attack, Alan! As a moderator, you should ban yourself immediately ;)

But if that is permissible, then I'll turn the table: you are totally ignorant of the figure of speech known as tongue-in-cheek or sarcasm ;)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2018, 07:44:53 pm »

That's a personal attack, Alan! As a moderator, you should ban yourself immediately ;)

Smiley aside, which in this case is a cop out and not a joke, Alan is not a moderator of this thread!!!!

In fact, the post seems to be more to the point than some of the other apologetic Republican biased posts. And BTW, tongue in cheek has nothing to do with it, and you know it.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 08:00:29 pm by BartvanderWolf »

RSL

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2018, 07:58:29 pm »

Russ,

You are totally ignorant about the shutdown and what services will be shut down.  Military, FAA and other critical operations continue just as they did in previous shutdowns.  The more important point that you are overlooking is that this vote was for a budget that was supposed to have begun on October 1, 2017 (e.g., last year) when the government fiscal year begins.  The Republicans were in charge of the entire authorization and appropriations process since January 20, 2017 and they could not even do the simplest of tasks, pass a budget by the beginning of the new fiscal year.  This is wholly on the Republicans!!

You're kidding, right, Alan? If not, you really need to do some serious research. You think I'm "totally ignorant? Wow! Go look in a mirror my friend. You also want to check on your sense of humor and see where it went. You don't seem to be able to recognize sarcasm.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2018, 08:02:22 pm »

Wow, the back and forth about who's ignorant and that we've got a moderator in all this only illustrates why Chris and Kevin should consider just shutting down the Coffee Corner forum entirely. Nothing to do with photography or image editing, printing etc. What is the justification for such a forum now and moderators?

http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2018, 08:04:22 pm »

... Alan is not a moderator of this thread!!!!

See the attachment.

... And BTW, tongue in cheek has nothing to do with it, and you know it.

Really!? Are you seriously suggesting that Russ, a fighter pilot, thought that "We have to withdraw our troops from the field, ground all aircraft since the FAA can't operate, bring all our ships into port, etc., etc., etc."?! Seriously!?

Some people seems to have their funny bone surgically removed at birth.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2018, 08:07:16 pm »

... just shutting down the Coffee Corner forum entirely. Nothing to do with photography or image editing, printing etc. What is the justification for such a forum now and moderators?

As you often advise others, if you do not like it, do not visit it (Coffee Corner).

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2018, 08:18:26 pm »

See the attachment.

Really!? Are you seriously suggesting that Russ, a fighter pilot, thought that "We have to withdraw our troops from the field, ground all aircraft since the FAA can't operate, bring all our ships into port, etc., etc., etc."?! Seriously!?

I'll let Russ respond to that ...

Cheers,
Bart
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up