Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: US Government shutdown  (Read 7180 times)

Cornfield

US Government shutdown
« on: January 21, 2018, 06:24:56 pm »

Is the US Government shutdown likely to affect a planned trip to Yosemite and Death Valley in early February?

sdwilsonsct

Re: US Government shutdown
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 06:48:45 pm »

Canada will be open.  ;)

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 08:14:09 pm »

Here is at least what is happening in Yosemite.  The entrances are open but the National Park Service is closed. Thus, many important projects and services are no longer operating.  Aeromark, the concesioner, will remain open and offer services.  This shut down is different from the one in 2013 when the park was closed to visitors. These shutdown really hurt our small rural gateway communities.  Many of us are now concerned the our National Parks are losing their natural protection. For example, visitors can now drive through the park, yet all the public restrooms are closed. I hope some resolution is found soon! 

Two23

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 08:14:37 pm »

No.  Parks remain open.  All of this stuff is just theater anyway--doesn't mean anything.  The media tries to make it sound like a big deal, (like they did Y2K.)  Yawn.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

HSakols

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 08:16:22 pm »

I'm sorry, but it is a Big deal - Dude. 

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 08:46:06 pm »

Meanwhile in Australia the second oldest national park in the world remains closed. Arsonists you've got to hate them.

Grrr,
Tom Brown

Two23

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 10:07:55 pm »

I'm sorry, but it is a Big deal - Dude.

LOL.  Nothing happens.  Nothing ever happens.  It's all theater.  They should be afraid we figure out that nothing happens when things are "shut down", which means nothing much happens when it's not. ;D :D

Kent in SD
miserere nobis.

DP

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 11:06:33 pm »

https://cosmosmagazine.com/biology/australian-raptors-start-fires-to-flush-out-prey

Ooooh, you learn something new every day! Better than listening to politicians.  :)

Cheers

Tom Brown

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 11:26:54 pm »

... visitors can now drive through the park, yet all the public restrooms are closed...

We don't need no stinking (pun intended) public restrooms! It is called "call of nature" for a reason :D

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 04:22:40 am »

We don't need no stinking (pun intended) public restrooms! It is called "call of nature" for a reason :D

Exactly!

Who ever saw a bear use a public toilet! Nature knows best; it's what streams are for, and why they always flow away from you; of course, it takes really developed woodsmanship to know whch side is up... that's why I fear forests: subliminally, I have seldom known which side was up - ask my toast.

Speaking of which, have you noticed that however careful you might be, when you take the marmalade jar out of the fridge, it always feels sticky? I also notice that cling wrap film has lost much of the original clinginess that made it famous. Sometimes, if the tomato or lemon is too big for my purposes, I put half of it onto a little saucer, open face down, and wrap it in said film in order to kept it fresh for next time; it takes forever to seal that simple combination of challenges. It can't be me: it has to be the film. Proof lies in the obvious: was a time that only women could handle it successfully and rapidly, but now anybody can use it and feel confident that not only won't it cling to itself (a once major condition for use of much film), but it won't work as a air excluder at all because it just flops rather than sticks. Perhaps I should rtfm: could be one needs to soak it before use, just like red beans.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 04:26:29 am by Rob C »

HSakols

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 08:24:58 am »

Not that many here really care, but my concern is that the new administration wants to do away with any type of resource protection and they would like to eventually privatize our national parks.  If there are no bathrooms people throw toliet paper everywhere - but again many landscape photographers here could give a flying fuck about the preservation of our National treasures.  Sad.  I understand that for the majority of you this shutdown does not affect you, but I live on land owned by the government.  Many residents in my town don't know when they are getting there next pay check.  These are not the 1%. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 08:52:29 am »

Exactly!

Who ever saw a bear use a public toilet! Nature knows best; it's what streams are for, and why they always flow away from you; of course, it takes really developed woodsmanship to know whch side is up... that's why I fear forests: subliminally, I have seldom known which side was up - ask my toast.

Speaking of which, have you noticed that however careful you might be, when you take the marmalade jar out of the fridge, it always feels sticky? I also notice that cling wrap film has lost much of the original clinginess that made it famous. Sometimes, if the tomato or lemon is too big for my purposes, I put half of it onto a little saucer, open face down, and wrap it in said film in order to kept it fresh for next time; it takes forever to seal that simple combination of challenges. It can't be me: it has to be the film. Proof lies in the obvious: was a time that only women could handle it successfully and rapidly, but now anybody can use it and feel confident that not only won't it cling to itself (a once major condition for use of much film), but it won't work as a air excluder at all because it just flops rather than sticks. Perhaps I should rtfm: could be one needs to soak it before use, just like red beans.
Try Glad Press 'N Seal.  Works much better.  That cling wrap plastic never worked very good.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 08:57:35 am »

We'll find out in a few hours when they vote again whether this thing will drag on.  There was a time when the Federal government could have shut down for a year and nobody would notice. 

Otto Phocus

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 09:23:21 am »

LOL.  Nothing happens.  Nothing ever happens.  It's all theater.  They should be afraid we figure out that nothing happens when things are "shut down", which means nothing much happens when it's not. ;D :D

Kent in SD

Tell that to the people who are not getting paid, but still have to work.  It is most likely that the government workers will get their back pay, but for contractors and FFRDCs, they are operating at risk.

It may not be a big deal to you, but that does not mean it is not a big deal for others.

A lot of the smaller companies simply don't have the ability to float during these shutdowns.  I am fortunate in that the company I work for has a 14 day float.  After that, it is leave without pay or you can take vacation, if you have it after the holidays.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Two23

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 09:52:33 am »

Not that many here really care, but my concern is that the new administration wants to do away with any type of resource protection and they would like to eventually privatize our national parks.  If there are no bathrooms people throw toliet paper everywhere -

I do care.  I think the vast majority of people in my state care, and probably region for that matter.   I don't think any of that will happen.  The media seems to be nothing but a fount of negativity and deception.  It has turned into Pravda.   I just turn it off.

Kent in SD
miserere nobis.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 11:37:30 am »

No.  Parks remain open.  All of this stuff is just theater anyway--doesn't mean anything.  The media tries to make it sound like a big deal, (like they did Y2K.)  Yawn.

Kent in SD

Y2K was a big deal. It's not because nothing major went wrong that there weren't problems that needed fixing.
--
Robert

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 12:01:03 pm »

Well, I'll tell you, a government "shutdown" is just awful. We have to withdraw our troops from the field, ground all aircraft since the FAA can't operate, bring all our ships into port, etc., etc., etc. And you guys are worried about parks?

What incredible horse-hockey. A "government shutdown" is a Kabuki performance presented in Washington DC. In the long run the only people affected are the politicians who caused the "shutdown." Last time it was Republicans. This time it's Democrats. Dumb move, Chuckie and Nance. Even CNN is on your case.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 12:08:07 pm »

Well, I'll tell you, a government "shutdown" is just awful. We have to withdraw our troops from the field, ground all aircraft since the FAA can't operate, bring all our ships into port, etc., etc., etc. And you guys are worried about parks?

What incredible horse-hockey. A "government shutdown" is a Kabuki performance presented in Washington DC. In the long run the only people affected are the politicians who caused the "shutdown." Last time it was Republicans. This time it's Democrats. Dumb move, Chuckie and Nance. Even CNN is on your case.

If it pans out that way, the Turks will happy and the Kurds not so much. Israel may sweat for a day or two, though. Syria itself, however, just stirs in its basket.

;-)

Rob
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up