Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Article - Sony a7r III Menu System Setup Video  (Read 6863 times)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
New Article - Sony a7r III Menu System Setup Video
« on: January 21, 2018, 06:03:28 pm »

Do you have or are you thinking of a Sony a7r III in your future? Then this video will be a help for you in setting up and navigating your way through the sometimes confusing and extensive Sony menus that are a part of this camera.  You can see the article and video HERE
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

jpaulmoore

Re: New Article - Sony a7r III Menu System Setup Video
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 07:31:28 am »

Kevin,
I know this will be an invaluable video for those fortunate to have the new a7r III.  I have the a7r II, so I am guessing this video won't help me.  As much as I love my Sony a7r II the menu system is maddening......actually it's worse than that! .  I will often grab my Fuji XT-2 when I want a more intuitive menu system and do some experimentation. Kudos to you for making this available!
J. Paul

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 07:52:23 am »

JP much of the a7r III menu is like the a7r ii less Pixel Shift and a few other things like card slot set up.  You'd find it helpful, plus you can scrub to the menus you are interested in using the timeline.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Jeff

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 12:54:22 pm »

Most of the menu items are the same as on my A99II  ( not really a surprise, same manufacturer ) so I found it very informative and picked up a couple of things that I had missed.

Perhaps  the next big development will be changing settings by talking to the camera ?

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 01:10:31 pm »

If I ever needed to read a Menu System Setup Video I'd know the camera wasn't for me.

;-)

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 02:14:49 pm »

If I ever needed to read a Menu System Setup Video I'd know the camera wasn't for me.

;-)

+ 1

That's why I set everything to as near manual as it allows. Two things work very well: Matrix metering; af lenses, especially when I think I have no time to use little green confirmation lights I can hardly find unless I take my eye off the subject first. Which is why I'd have preferred a split-screen central zone for focusing accurately and easily; my old lenses would not then feel pretty much obsolete, and myself along with 'em. If I were to start today from zero, I would buy af lenses because of my sight problems.

:-(

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 02:28:18 pm »

Well . . . based on emails and some responses here the video was needed.  It would be great if the menus didn't need such explaining and that seems to be a common complaint about Sony menus.  But, once you get used to them you don't really think about it.  There are many good examples of intuitive menu systems that you think Sony would have figured this out.  Let's hope that they will surprise us with a really logical intuitive menu system in the future. 

In the meantime (at least for me) the a7r III is doing quite the job. 
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

algrove

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 02:56:23 pm »

Is it an A7Rii video or a7riii video? The video title says A7Rii so I did not bother looking at it.

I sent my A7R one back and recently sent the a7Riii back due to personal ergonomics, Mac FW update issues and "my" difficulties with all the 50 or whatever menu screens/items. There's got to be a better way, like Leica and even Phase uses.

I know and see plenty of Sony owners making terrific images with the A7Riii. Just not for me.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 04:14:48 pm »

The Video was for the a7r III
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

joelbs

• http://jbschilling.com/foto.html
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 05:40:27 pm »

Hello Kevin

Nice video. One thing that took me a while to figure out was adding the eye focus to a button. I think you should point this function out on the video as it is one of the coolest things about the camera...

Joel Schilling

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 09:20:54 pm »

My current hi-end Sony is an oldy but goody RX10 and I found this video very instructive. Of course, many features did not apply, but sufficient numbers did to make watching extremely worthwhile. Thank you, Kevin!

JeanMichel

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 02:37:12 pm »

Hi, I only grazed through your video – I do not have nor do I plan to get a Sony camera – out of curiosity. I think that your new taping method is very well done, with clear screen shots and well rehearsed commentary. If I had that camera, I would definitely sit through the entire video.
I did find it interesting to see what the viewfinder shows, to me it seems that it shows a whole lot of information about the camera to the detriment of what the viewfinder is really for: finding the view. But, if someone were too give me one of those, i certainly would say "thank you"! I does appear to be quite the camera.

Thanks again for your work in keeping the site interesting and relevant.

Jean-Michel

Jeff

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 03:17:04 pm »

it shows a whole lot of information about the camera to the detriment of what the viewfinder is really for: finding the view.
Jean-Michel

You can customise what is shown in the viewfinder, including nothing    :)     ( apart from the autofocus points )

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 03:36:17 pm »

The EVF is totally customizable with what shows.  Also, you can sequence through a couple of different versions of the display.  It's funny when I look back I keep saying I should have mentioned this or that.  Anyway, it was the first stab at something and based on emails I have received seems to be relevant for a good number of people.  I may try this next with a Fuji.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

DougDolde

• Images of the American West
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 08:28:57 pm »

Better solution: buy a Nikon D850.  Simple and logical. Took me no time to master.

prairiewing

• Pat Gerlach, Photographer
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2018, 08:57:45 pm »

Thank you Kevin.  My A7rIII arrived today and you were a big help
Pat Gerlach
   Pat Gerlach, Photographer

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 11:39:52 pm »

My current hi-end Sony is an oldy but goody RX10 and I found this video very instructive. Of course, many features did not apply, but sufficient numbers did to make watching extremely worthwhile. Thank you, Kevin!
Mine is the RX10iii, so I will study the video tomorrow.

My biggest grip with modern camera menus is that sometimes something gets set accidentally in a way that I would never intentionally set it. Then to find out how to fix it I have to wade through twenty pages of menus with topics in semi-random order.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 02:01:26 am »

Hi,

Thanks for the video.

I would mention that I make very heavy use of presets. On the Sony A7rII there are two of them. I have a preset for on tripod shooting and one for handheld shooting.

Tripod shooting is base ISO, no image stabilisation, manual focus and self-timer. Handheld is the other way around. So I can find my base setting for each with just a flick on a dial. I regard this a very important feature.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

the_luminous_french

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2018, 02:33:55 am »

I had canon, nikon, mamiya, leaf, phase one... i'm really impress with my A7r III... but i really think that Sony should learn from Apple...

First time in my life that i need to read all the manual... and still have unanswered questions...

Just formatting a card is hidden...

The worst part is for video... Frame rate vs Pal/ntsc... hard to find Logs...

Still, i'm really happy to leave reflex... as i was shooting in live view mode all the time...

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2018, 03:04:03 am »

Cool video. Thanks for that. Learned one or two things I could set differently on my A7rIII.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up