Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canson-Infinity Baryta Prestige  (Read 5868 times)

gkroeger

Canson-Infinity Baryta Prestige
« on: January 11, 2018, 08:55:23 pm »

About a year ago there was a short discussion of this paper.  I haven't seen any reviews of it. Has anyone been able to compare it with Epson Legacy Baryta (or Legacy Platine)?

Glenn

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Canson-Infinity Baryta Prestige
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 09:00:04 pm »

Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

gkroeger

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 09:14:25 pm »

Thanks Mark... I missed it in scanning your reviews!

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 09:12:55 am »

Welcome. Yes, I realize that's possible. When I'm doing eight at a time, it's easy to miss. Hope you find it helpful now that you have it.

Riverman

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 09:30:05 am »

Also look at Red River San Gabriel Semi Gloss 2.0. 

http://www.ronmartblog.com/2016/11/review-red-river-paper-san-gabriel.html

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 09:41:45 am »

Yes, I've reviewed this one as well: Red River. The review for this paper is near the end of the article.

stockjock

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 02:20:38 am »

About a year ago there was a short discussion of this paper.  I haven't seen any reviews of it. Has anyone been able to compare it with Epson Legacy Baryta (or Legacy Platine)?

Glenn

I have printed a little bit with the Canson Baryta Prestige.  It is a very heavy paper with a fair amount of curl.  I personally didn't like the more shimmery, lustre surface.  If you have tested the Canson Lustre vs the PhotoSatin papers that is similar to the difference between the Baryta Prestige vs. Platine.  Naturally, it is mostly a matter of taste but I simply didn't like the surface as well and the roll I purchased has gone unused.

FWIW.

deanwork

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 06:49:01 pm »

Yea I have some in 17x22 sheets that has gone unused. It's curling even in the box. My experience is all of these alpha cellulose gloss fiber papers curl like that and that also causes scratches in printing, especially in roll form. Platine is cotton and like Hahnemuhle cotton gloss papers such as Photorag Baryta, remain flat in portfolios.

A tip, if you want to flatten Platine from rolls quickly just use a hair drier and you won't need a dry mount press.

I have printed a little bit with the Canson Baryta Prestige.  It is a very heavy paper with a fair amount of curl.  I personally didn't like the more shimmery, lustre surface.  If you have tested the Canson Lustre vs the PhotoSatin papers that is similar to the difference between the Baryta Prestige vs. Platine.  Naturally, it is mostly a matter of taste but I simply didn't like the surface as well and the roll I purchased has gone unused.

FWIW.

mearussi

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 05:40:25 pm »

My experience has been very different than the others here. I really like the image quality of the paper compared to the Platine, but then again I'm printing on an older Epson 7800 vs the newer printers other people may have. The curl is a pain and it is very stiff as all Alpha-Cellulose papers are. But the satin texture does a very good job of minimizing reflections and the image clarity of the paper is the best I've ever seen.

So for all of you who have bought it and don't like it and find it gathering dust you're more than welcome to send it to me.  :)

stockjock

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 08:59:44 pm »

Yea I have some in 17x22 sheets that has gone unused. It's curling even in the box. My experience is all of these alpha cellulose gloss fiber papers curl like that and that also causes scratches in printing, especially in roll form. Platine is cotton and like Hahnemuhle cotton gloss papers such as Photorag Baryta, remain flat in portfolios.

A tip, if you want to flatten Platine from rolls quickly just use a hair drier and you won't need a dry mount press.

What do you do with the hair dryer to flatten the Platine?
Pages: [1]   Go Up