Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Six Trees  (Read 3912 times)

Alskoj

Six Trees
« on: November 22, 2017, 10:43:11 pm »

Shot this today with a Canon 400mm.  Some farmland near us.  Longs peak is in the background.  Had some beautiful skies today.

Farm-32617-1-2 by Joseph Alsko, on Flickr

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Six Trees
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 03:12:43 am »

I like that. Good composition. It would be interesting to see it with different skies.

Jeremy

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 03:50:35 am »

Very good.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 04:52:48 am »

Nice! I'll add the inevitable suggestion for black and white.

RobMacKillop

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 05:30:33 am »

Very nice. I like it as is!

Alskoj

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 09:53:04 am »

I like that. Good composition. It would be interesting to see it with different skies.

Jeremy
Thanks!  Here's a wider shot showing more of the sky.  I used a polarizer with this one to darken the blue.
I can revisit this since it's so close and get some different skies, weather, snow, etc.

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 02:50:44 pm »

Very nice view, worth trying a lot of things! I like the horizontal line of the clouds behind the trees. It looks pretty dark here, but I think it's the way you wanted it?

Alskoj

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 04:28:31 pm »

Very nice view, worth trying a lot of things! I like the horizontal line of the clouds behind the trees. It looks pretty dark here, but I think it's the way you wanted it?
Thanks all!  Yes, I processed it a bit dark because the trees didn't need much detail as opposed to the clouds around Longs Peak.  I'm no processing expert, I just work it until I see what I like.  I would love to be a fly on the wall when some of the more experienced members here work an image.

John R

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 09:50:16 pm »

It think the last images are way too dark. I have learned to skip images like this when in the field unless I do bracketing (to use layer masks) or use a split neutral density filter. I am sure with a split-neutral density filter you could bring the light levels closer together and improve both the sky and landscapes areas. I just tried it at home by selecting the auto-fix button and the results are much better.  A more rounded three dimensional effect. Right now, although the composition is good, I see it as darkly flat.

JR

Leszek Piotrowski

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 10:27:02 pm »

The first to me says lots,... "standing together" staying strong!
Leszek, G

Alskoj

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 06:38:37 am »

It think the last images are way too dark. I have learned to skip images like this when in the field unless I do bracketing (to use layer masks) or use a split neutral density filter.

JR
Thanks for your opinion and suggestions. I really only submitted the second one to show someone a wider view of the sky.

John R

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 09:22:33 am »

I wouldn't spend so much time on it if I didn't like the image. Would you mind if posted what I have in mind? Not really changing your image, just the contrast and light. I am thinking mostly of brightening and opening shadows and trying to separate the beautiful tree line from mountains and sky.

JR

Alskoj

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 11:45:35 am »

I wouldn't spend so much time on it if I didn't like the image. Would you mind if posted what I have in mind? Not really changing your image, just the contrast and light. I am thinking mostly of brightening and opening shadows and trying to separate the beautiful tree line from mountains and sky.

JR
Sure, go for it.  Any image I post is open for reprocessing.  It would be nice if there was a place we could post the RAW images so that anyone could work on them.

John R

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2017, 02:13:38 pm »

I use Elements. I selected dark areas and lifted the shadows.

JR

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2017, 02:30:57 pm »

It would be nice if there was a place we could post the RAW images so that anyone could work on them.
that would be nice indeed ...

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2017, 02:16:10 pm »

I like John's reworked version.

Alskoj

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2017, 06:00:12 pm »

I use Elements. I selected dark areas and lifted the shadows.

JR
Good job!  Thanks for your re-work on it.  I still have a lot to learn.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2017, 03:49:12 am »

that would be nice indeed ...

Dropbox. Or some similar - and free - service.

Jeremy

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2017, 10:36:17 am »

A fine capture.

Sometimes when I see a very dark interpretation I wonder if it's deliberate (which it certainly CAN be), or if there's something else at play. Certainly, working with a monitor that's set overly bright can cause one to process darkly. The histogram can give one a clue as to whether this might be the case. Below are the histograms of the original post and John's reworked image with the shadows lifted and the overall brightness adjusted a bit. On my monitor, the original looks too dark and a bit "muddy" as a result. John's interpretation retains the mood but elevates some interesting detail in the shadows and, overall, looks more pleasing. Although I work with a calibrated monitor and fairly consistent ambient lighting conditions, I still pay attention to the histogram as I process. Just a thought.

Pages: [1]   Go Up