Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Updated Website  (Read 2854 times)

mitchd

Updated Website
« on: November 20, 2017, 02:11:54 pm »

Its been awhile since I've posted here, but just updated/deployed my website yesterday.

When you have a moment take a look and let me know your thoughts and if you see any issues.
..... it took 4 iterations and 8 years to finally get it (the website and work) to the point that I'm happy with it......

http://mitchdobrowner.com/

Thanks ahead of time!!

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Updated Website
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 02:30:27 pm »

Its been awhile since I've posted here, but just updated/deployed my website yesterday.

When you have a moment take a look and let me know your thoughts and if you see any issues.
..... it took 4 iterations and 8 years to finally get it (the website and work) to the point that I'm happy with it......

http://mitchdobrowner.com/

Thanks ahead of time!!

I like the design and the fact that the arrow keys work as I'd expect.

The images are a little smaller than I'd prefer. I'm not really convinced that a large black space below the word "Menu", which is filled by the dropdown, is truly a good idea: why not just have the links visible all the time?

One minor bug: if you move into the area below "Menu" so that the menu appears, then click on a selection, the dropdown disappears (consistent) but won't reappear on hover only until the mouse has been moved out of the area underneath "Menu" and back again, even though the word "Menu" highlights on mouse-over.

The images are as spectacular as I'd expect from you, of course, particularly the amazing storms.

Jeremy

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 03:27:17 pm »

Simple, effective. I've been a fan of your work since I first saw it in Lenswork.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 07:24:25 pm »

Simple, effective. I've been a fan of your work since I first saw it in Lenswork.
Me too.
Your work just keeps getting better, and the new website is stunning.

I think I agree with Jeremy that the menu might as well be visible at all times. I would not find it distracting at all.

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Alskoj

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 07:40:05 pm »

Amazing photos!  I was stationed in Oklahoma and I know that you put yourself in danger to get some of your photos.  Very inspiring.

mitchd

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 12:26:34 am »

Thanks for the feedback and the kind words.... its appreciated. In regards to the "menu" and the black space below it, that is by design (not a bug). Having the menu items always visible was the way it was implemented in the last iteration of the website and it always made the design seem cluttered. The reasoning behind having them fade was to reduce that clutter and keep focus on the imagery (not the typography or menu). But I want the feedback and will take the suggestion to heart.

Thanks again for the help.

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 03:15:50 am »

Very impressing workindeed!

Regarding the website: Possibly a good solution would be if the menu items were visible on the home page at first sight - so you can se whats there without the need of a click. On subsequent pages it should collapse like now, I like the more or less empty screen a lot. (But my "webdesign" skills are very 90s, maybe one does it differently today ...)

degrub

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 08:47:09 am »

one little annoyance - having to find the arrows when scrolling through the images. When there is a size or format change, the arrows move around. Any way to keep them in a static location ?

mitchd

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 11:24:22 am »

...... not really but you can also swipe on the images to proceed forward instead of using the arrows (though that is not initially obvious).

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 11:26:12 am »

Mitch, I would love it if you would consider doing a story on your storm images.  If interested PM me.  Thanks.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

degrub

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 12:07:22 pm »

...... not really but you can also swipe on the images to proceed forward instead of using the arrows (though that is not initially obvious).
that works well, even with a mouse. i would not thought of doing that since i am not on a tablet/phone device.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 12:28:06 pm »

Mitch, I would love it if you would consider doing a story on your storm images.  If interested PM me.  Thanks.
I second the motion!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 12:33:15 pm »

Lovely work but I can't see anyway of navigating when using IE 11. No thumbs or arrows visible.

Works well in Firefox.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 01:00:05 pm by KLaban »

Cornfield

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 06:04:14 pm »

Really great images but I want to see them larger and preferably not on black.  A nice touch would be to have a toggle switch for the background with black, white and grey options.  This is easy to do with CSS switching.

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 06:05:34 pm »

Nice work! I enjoyed scrolling through your images.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

RobMacKillop

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 06:20:10 pm »

Wow, great work. People are so picky - it's often best not to ask their opinion - they'll give it anyway  ;D I think your site is very easy to navigate, the images are a good size, there's a sense of calm throughout the pages. Well done, I think it's a site I'll return to. I'd love to know how you made some of the images - maybe have a page where you talk the technical stuff? Overall I'm very impressed.
Rob

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 02:43:45 am »

Effective, simple layout. Inspiring work!

mitchd

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2017, 04:17:14 pm »

Thank you everyone for the feedback on the website and the kind words about the work, its appreciated.
..... I love our world of photography and Luminance Landscape's forum has always been a valuable place for me to get feedback.

@ Kevin: PM sent.

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2017, 10:44:57 am »

Very nice website and great work Mitch! :) Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters & NYA-EVO
https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini

BradSmith

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2017, 03:02:36 pm »

Mitch,
Great to see you post here and link to your new site.  It worked perfectly for me in Safari, and navigation was intuitive.  I also just watched your video of your talk at Google.  I really enjoyed it.  I'm a former 40 year Studio City resident who had a darkroom in my home and tried to do quality 4x5 landscape work.  Glad you hadn't turned back to photography during most of those years.  If I had seen your work, I probably would have trashed all my equipment and taken up woodworking.

I think your B&W work is spectacular.
Brad Smith  (formerly from Laurelcrest Dr.)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up