Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Why using medium format if there is an iphone...  (Read 11673 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: Why using medium format if there is an iphone...
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 12:42:35 pm »

because you can not save it after you look through the cardboard tube... :-)

I use my ipad a lot for photos because i can see the screen :)

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Erik Kaffehr

landscapephoto

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2017, 03:58:09 pm »

And don't forget this: https://www.flickr.com/cameras/. The 5 most popular cameras on flickr are all iPhones (6, 6s, 5s, 7 and 7+). The most popular camera brand is Apple (before Canon, Nikon, Samsung and Sony in that order). And of course the adverts demonstrating the iPhone can do billboard sized pictures:

« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 04:01:39 pm by landscapephoto »

eronald

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2017, 06:14:01 pm »

An iphone and an Instagram account are all you need to become a millionaire within a few years, if you have talent, makeup and grit. Can one say the same of medium format?  :-[

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/millionaire-models-instagram-stunning-women-7076190

I’d say the Instagram crowd understand the parameters of fashion photography better than most commercial photographers,  based on their incomes. Look at the way so many young “influencers” with average good looks and real savvy have managed to leverage decent looks into commercial success. I’d be willing to bet that Kim Kardashian gets more for posting a sponsored iphone selfie on Twitter than most people here get for a medium format shoot. Of course one could argue that what made Kardashian a household name was a humble home video camcorder  :)

Edmund

And don't forget this: https://www.flickr.com/cameras/. The 5 most popular cameras on flickr are all iPhones (6, 6s, 5s, 7 and 7+). The most popular camera brand is Apple (before Canon, Nikon, Samsung and Sony in that order). And of course the adverts demonstrating the iPhone can do billboard sized pictures:

« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 08:21:10 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

landscapephoto

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2017, 02:06:03 am »

An iphone and an Instagram account are all you need to become a millionaire within a few years, if you have talent, makeup and grit. Can one say the same of medium format?  :-[

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/millionaire-models-instagram-stunning-women-7076190

Not quite. According to your link, I would need an iPhone, an Instagram account... and a sex change. That last part may prove tricky.

eronald

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2017, 07:12:04 am »

Not quite. According to your link, I would need an iPhone, an Instagram account... and a sex change. That last part may prove tricky.

Look at the picture *of* the Leica here. I think it’s rather good. No sex change involved ... so far :)
https://news.artnet.com/art-world/brooklyn-beckham-photography-book-1005404
I do a lot of sketching these days and it’s hugely motivating to realize that for a change the other guys do *not* have bettter equipment, even though their ability and training is superior.

Edmund

lowep

• http://sites.google.com/site/peterlowefoto/
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2017, 10:12:47 am »

of course any photo snapped in good light and viewed at 5x7cm in 72dpi on a tiny screen while juggling a BLT sandwich and a cardboard cup of coffee can look great and bring you money and fame if that is what you are after - just as it is quite possible to live in a cardboard shack with inadequate water and sanitation or work in a sweatshop to support your family: human beings are very resourceful. But Harley Davidson still sells motorbikes and kids still love dinasaur cartoons so maybe the outlook for medium format is not so bleak.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 10:18:48 am by lowep »

Alskoj

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2017, 10:52:06 am »

Are you going to post some of your iPhone pics? 
I love the camera on my Samsung S8 but for my particular photography, it can't come close to my Canon FF. 
Also, your grammar needs attention.

landscapephoto

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2017, 01:25:01 pm »

Look at the picture *of* the Leica here. I think it’s rather good. No sex change involved ... so far :)
https://news.artnet.com/art-world/brooklyn-beckham-photography-book-1005404

For doing that I would not need a sex change, but I would need different parents. That is even more tricky.

Frankly, Brooklyn Beckham may or may not be a good photographer, I don't know. I have not read the book or watched the Instagram account. But that is not the point of the exercise in that case. People (not me, others) follow his Instagram feed just because he is Brooklyn Beckham. He got over 10 millions followers and got paid about $8 million for that.

eronald

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2017, 09:08:45 pm »

For doing that I would not need a sex change, but I would need different parents. That is even more tricky.

Frankly, Brooklyn Beckham may or may not be a good photographer, I don't know. I have not read the book or watched the Instagram account. But that is not the point of the exercise in that case. People (not me, others) follow his Instagram feed just because he is Brooklyn Beckham. He got over 10 millions followers and got paid about $8 million for that.

I agree he had a headstart, but he built his brand. That’s savvy, not camera equipment. And those women I pointed to earlier seem to be doing well, most of them without special parents, and no big cameras. People on the Instagram circuit have taken the camera out of the photograph.

The interesting thing here that many photographers became successful with mediocre gear, but the kids are becoming really rich with next to none.

Edmund
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 10:23:18 pm by eronald »

landscapephoto

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2017, 02:02:48 am »

I agree he had a headstart, but he built his brand. That’s savvy, not camera equipment. And those women I pointed to earlier seem to be doing well, most of them without special parents, and no big cameras. People on the Instagram circuit have taken the camera out of the photograph.

The interesting thing here that many photographers became successful with mediocre gear, but the kids are becoming really rich with next to none.

Many successful photographers had mediocre gears. For example, read that interview from Mario Giacomelli:

http://www.horvatland.com/WEB/en/THE80s/PP/ENTRE%20VUES/Giacomelli/entrevues.htm

Excerpt:

I don’t know about other people’s cameras. Mine is a thing I had cobbled up, it holds together with tape and is always losing parts. All I need to set is the distance and that other thing – what do you call that other thing? I’m not a fan of mechanics. I have had this camera, still the same one, since I started taking photos. (...) I had it made. By dismantling a camera given to me by a friend and removing whatever seemed useless. I only need distance and that other thing – what’s that other thing called again? I don’t know how these machines work, what counts is that light shouldn’t get in. It’s just a box.

Yet...

eronald

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2017, 03:29:58 pm »

Even today you can make good pix with film and sell them, but let’s face it the digital guys feed the print media.

And in the same way, I’d say that one can learn to use “real” photo gear, but for a youngster in a digital media world, which is where it’s at nowadays, for that young person an iPhone is the way to go. Real cameras are now esoteric special-purpose devices.

Edmund

Many successful photographers had mediocre gears. For example, read that interview from Mario Giacomelli:

http://www.horvatland.com/WEB/en/THE80s/PP/ENTRE%20VUES/Giacomelli/entrevues.htm

Excerpt:

I don’t know about other people’s cameras. Mine is a thing I had cobbled up, it holds together with tape and is always losing parts. All I need to set is the distance and that other thing – what do you call that other thing? I’m not a fan of mechanics. I have had this camera, still the same one, since I started taking photos. (...) I had it made. By dismantling a camera given to me by a friend and removing whatever seemed useless. I only need distance and that other thing – what’s that other thing called again? I don’t know how these machines work, what counts is that light shouldn’t get in. It’s just a box.

Yet...

Rob C

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2017, 05:15:02 pm »

Maybe the question should have been: why use cameras?

Rob

eronald

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2017, 06:29:01 pm »

Maybe the question should have been: why use cameras?

Rob

Rob,

I’m afraid you are right.
And the question will get more acute as the connected phone continues to intelligence while the camera stays dumb.
As an example, from my own small forays into fashion, I would almost think that a phone shooting 120 fps for a couple of seconds would produce as many printable blurry but alive images as a hi-rez sharp albeit slow stuttering SLR.

Edmund

Rob C

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2017, 04:50:55 am »

Perhaps, come the day that my old Samsung cellphone has a screen where the image is visible in daylight, then I, too, will let the Nikon batteries go uncharged.

It's no pleasure carrying around temptation; I could never outrun a fifteen-year-old mugger of either gender. Not only the temptation factor, but the way a camera makes the rest of the population view one with distinct mistrust gets in the way of catching life on the hoof without being observed.

I believe that there is more to it than one's inability to do an HC-B and be invisible: the difference is not in the photographers but in a public now so aware of intrusion, law and COMPENSATION, and which sees cameras as threats/opportunities. Cellphones, on the other hand, make you a tourist whom everyone ignores as best they can. A 12 megapixel cell would be pleasant, shooting Tiffs!

lowep

• http://sites.google.com/site/peterlowefoto/
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2017, 12:07:56 pm »

Good point but what is more muggable: a DSLR or an iphone?

Maybe sometimes though not always slowing down instead of trying to keep up with 15 year olds can be good.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 12:13:19 pm by lowep »

cgarnerhome

• cgarnerphoto
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2017, 03:42:09 pm »

Interesting discussion!  Are we are getting image quality confused with print quality?  Great images can be made with any camera but the possibility to make great prints is often diminished/restricted with lesser quality cameras – particularly if you print large. With the example you site, Giacomelli made exceptional images but his print quality was average at best.  Unfortunately, we have become accustomed to higher quality prints much as we have become accustomed higher resolution TV screens.  Additionally, we have become accustomed to large screen TVs.   It seems print size has increased with the advent of larger TVs.   Given a choice would you like to watch a movie on a TV made in the 60s?  I guess we have conditioned the viewer to want better resolution and larger size while their appreciation of better aesthetics hasn’t keep pace.

Rob C

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2017, 04:14:08 pm »

Well, in my defence, I did specify 12 Megas and Tiffs, which is the same as my D700...

Never found even the ten of the D200 a problem; it's problem was high ISO wasn't particularly great..

Both get heavy after a while, but then we'd have to consider focal length, too, and a cellphone would laugh, and just climb back into my pocket.

eronald

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2017, 04:32:35 pm »

Well, in my defence, I did specify 12 Megas and Tiffs, which is the same as my D700...

Never found even the ten of the D200 a problem; it's problem was high ISO wasn't particularly great..

Both get heavy after a while, but then we'd have to consider focal length, too, ronand a cellphone would laugh, and just climb back into my pocket.

Rob, the images from cell phones are usually strongly compressed jpeg files, but special apps allow one to shoot Raw. Of course, image quality of the current crop of 12MP + cameras is nowhere near a “real” camera, but by daylight  I would call an iPhone competitive with a Leica IIIf with a 35mm Elmar.

On a side note, I know no Aps-C SLR that is equivalent to a 1900 13x18 or even 10x12cm plane-film camera, or even with a pocketable Plaubel Makina,  and yet people have no issue with using the images from SLRs.

This cameraphone shaming is a rerun of the Leica vs the rest of world debate of the 1930s and we all know who won that one.

As for muggings, I think all,you need to do is carry last year’s phone and every teenager will avoid you like a louse-ridden hobo :)

Edmund
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 04:36:20 pm by eronald »

Rob C

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2017, 04:55:26 pm »

Rob, the images from cell phones are usually strongly compressed jpeg files, but special apps allow one to shoot Raw. Of course, image quality of the current crop of 12MP + cameras is nowhere near a “real” camera, but by daylight  I would call an iPhone competitive with a Leica IIIf with a 35mm Elmar.

On a side note, I know no Aps-C SLR that is equivalent to a 1900 13x18 or even 10x12cm plane-film camera, or even with a pocketable Plaubel Makina,  and yet people have no issue with using the images from SLRs.

This cameraphone shaming is a rerun of the Leica vs the rest of world debate of the 1930s and we all know who won that one.

As for muggings, I think all,you need to do is carry last year’s phone and every teenager will avoid you like a louse-ridden hobo :)

Edmund

Edmund, they already avoid me; worse, they don't even see me.

Just discovered that Cindy Crawford's daughter - Kaia - or similar, is in the business too and has appeared on Vogue covers with Mum... who needs a camera or a cellphone to get ahead. To be fair, she's quite a pretty kid!

Rob
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up