Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Orphaned by X-Rite: Twice!  (Read 11197 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Orphaned by X-Rite: Twice!
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2017, 02:44:24 pm »

I am not sure if Mark D. Segal can see that post. I apologize for the presumably rude words and want to stress I did not mean that in any personal way.
But I still would like to know how his suggestions on contacting the company and the "wrong" site are meant to be understood.
I just think that coming to the marketplace with such a raw infrastructure (licensing\localization) even though the products itself may be great is not right.
In regards to contacting the company via email I still cannot understand why should I provided their site has the new user registration functionality which obviously does not work as intended.

Yes I can see your post and I accept your apology. Thank you. More importantly as a general principle please understand going forward that this website has standards for participation, one of the most important being not to attack the personal integrity of other participants.

On your substantive point about acquiring and testing the software, let me reiterate to you: it's pointless protesting how they do business. That's their system. If you find it too awkward to work with, don't use it. If you still want to try it, go to a version of their website that works properly and follow their instructions. If you still aren't making progress, get in touch with them - most likely they will help you. It's really as simple as that, and I think we have now exhausted this aspect of the discussion.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

daicehawk

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2017, 03:21:05 pm »

Yes I can see your post and I accept your apology. Thank you. More importantly as a general principle please understand going forward that this website has standards for participation, one of the most important being not to attack the personal integrity of other participants.

On your substantive point about acquiring and testing the software, let me reiterate to you: it's pointless protesting how they do business. That's their system. If you find it too awkward to work with, don't use it. If you still want to try it, go to a version of their website that works properly and follow their instructions. If you still aren't making progress, get in touch with them - most likely they will help you. It's really as simple as that, and I think we have now exhausted this aspect of the discussion.
Thanks for not closing the doors. Really appreciate that. I might be a Homer Simpson sometimes, but let me stress once again, it was not (meant as) a personal attack at you, I have just been seeing a trend in how bad practices are advocated in different areas on different boards on paid basis (Cui prodest? as you might know).
I do get your point regarding the business ways. However, I have tested the behavior at basiccolor.de both with English and Deutsch settings, the no-confirmation-email and no-way-to-create-an-account-by-yourself issues persist. Along with their less than superb localization I guess I prefer to not point them at the faults since they have to have it known from their own testing etc. I think that getting such a frustrating experience right before the start of any business relationship and demoing the product save for real work using it is enough to just not use it. It does not withdraw one's right to communicate the opinion publicly, however.
And I concur the discussion topic has exhausted.
Once again I am sorry for any words that could be interpreted as a personal attack.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 03:43:48 pm by daicehawk »

DougDolde

• Images of the American West
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2017, 03:24:09 pm »

This is obviously why they discontinue support...to sell new hardware.

Rand47

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2017, 05:47:57 pm »

I own the i1 Display 2 monitor calibration device.  The i1 Profiler software no longer recognizes the device when it is plugged in to my Mac.  I called X-Rite, and they said it was because of a Mac OS update, and that the i1 Display 2 is no longer supported.

This is the second i1 device I have bought which has been orphaned by the company through software, when the hardware is still in perfect operating condition.  I cannot express the level of frustration that generates!

Before I toss yet another calibration device in the trash, I would like to know if there are any workarounds.  Failing that, is there another company which demonstrates more respect for their customers, and better supports their devices through the product lifetime?

One might ask, “Who made you an orphan, X-Rite or Apple?”  Seems like Apple has a serious commmitment to non-backward compatibility with their OS updates.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2017, 08:01:19 pm »

One might ask, “Who made you an orphan, X-Rite or Apple?”  Seems like Apple has a serious commmitment to non-backward compatibility with their OS updates.

Rand

Not that it matters much, it doesn't work - it doesn't work; but really, if Apple makes changes to an OS it considers necessary for whatever reasons (usually security, technical progress, etc.), they provide the developers normally six months of advance notice and the necessary information for updating their apps/devices to be compliant. It is their judgment call whether to do so, often driven by commercial considerations, and in some cases technical ones as well. X-Rite has been notorious for discontinuing equipment and application versions as they restructure, get restructured, or operating systems change.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2017, 08:45:15 pm »

Not that it matters much, it doesn't work - it doesn't work; but really, if Apple makes changes to an OS it considers necessary for whatever reasons (usually security, technical progress, etc.), they provide the developers normally six months of advance notice and the necessary information for updating their apps/devices to be compliant. It is their judgment call whether to do so, often driven by commercial considerations, and in some cases technical ones as well. X-Rite has been notorious for discontinuing equipment and application versions as they restructure, get restructured, or operating systems change.
There's plenty of places to lay the blame. But the bottom line is, many of us need to keep an old computer around to support legacy hardware, software and dongles! About 5 years ago I purchased a MacBook Pro old enough to boot OS9 and run a lot of old software. Cost me $150 on ebay. Even if I only need to use it twice a year, to run software and hardware costing (at the time) thousands of dollars.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up