Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Orphaned by X-Rite: Twice!  (Read 11196 times)

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
Orphaned by X-Rite: Twice!
« on: November 06, 2017, 02:53:51 pm »

I own the i1 Display 2 monitor calibration device.  The i1 Profiler software no longer recognizes the device when it is plugged in to my Mac.  I called X-Rite, and they said it was because of a Mac OS update, and that the i1 Display 2 is no longer supported.

This is the second i1 device I have bought which has been orphaned by the company through software, when the hardware is still in perfect operating condition.  I cannot express the level of frustration that generates!

Before I toss yet another calibration device in the trash, I would like to know if there are any workarounds.  Failing that, is there another company which demonstrates more respect for their customers, and better supports their devices through the product lifetime?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Orphaned by X-Rite: Twice!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 03:20:57 pm »

Yes, this is typical X-Rite commercial behaviour. 

You could buy a BasicColor Discus (after verifying its compatibility with your system and equipment); the "gold standard" for this type of equipment from all accounts I've read, but it's very expensive. https://www.basiccolor.de/basiccolor-discus-en/
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 03:29:43 pm »

give displaycal a chance.

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 03:52:04 pm »

give displaycal a chance.

Installed it, and was non plussed.  That is the most opaque GUI I have ever encountered.

mouse

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 04:02:23 pm »

Check DisplayCal here: https://displaycal.net/

See if it will work with your device.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 05:47:40 pm »

I own the i1 Display 2 monitor calibration device.  The i1 Profiler software no longer recognizes the device when it is plugged in to my Mac.  I called X-Rite, and they said it was because of a Mac OS update, and that the i1 Display 2 is no longer supported.
Can you roll back the MacOS update?  Did X-Rite point blank tell you that they are not going to issue a patch (probably a new driver though I'm unsure of that as I'm on WinOS and we never have these kinds of problems? 

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 07:22:50 pm »

I'm on WinOS and we never have these kinds of problems?

Ya you do. X-Rite also discontinued support for Pulse Elite instrument and software on Windows once the version changes reached a point that they would have had to update the application. It was very user-friendly and made fine profiles at an attractive price point - perhaps too good for their perception of their commercial interests.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

stormyboy

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 09:11:06 pm »

Isn't the i1 Display 2 the colorimeter with the color filters that become unstable over time?  Surely by now it would need to be replaced anyway?  Just curious.
Tom

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 03:09:16 pm »

Installed it, and was non plussed.  That is the most opaque GUI I have ever encountered.
True ... still it gives me good results and I was able to use my (orphaned) Spyder3 a while longer.

daicehawk

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 04:06:39 pm »

True ... still it gives me good results and I was able to use my (orphaned) Spyder3 a while longer.
Got it free and complaining?

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 04:12:07 pm »

Got it free and complaining?
um? did not complain. and actually really donated.

daicehawk

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 04:17:58 pm »

um? did not complain. and actually really donated.
Ok. will not investigate further on what is so "opaque".

StephaneB

• http://www.lumieredargent.com
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 04:46:29 pm »

Ya you do. X-Rite also discontinued support for Pulse Elite instrument and software on Windows once the version changes reached a point that they would have had to update the application. It was very user-friendly and made fine profiles at an attractive price point - perhaps too good for their perception of their commercial interests.

On average, Microsoft is more careful than Apple to not breaking things. When I had a Mac, with every new major OS release I had to wait for different manufacturers to adapt their drivers. I don't find I have the same problems with Windows.

For example, I have a Gretag Macbeth Eye-One Rev A from 2004, I think and it still works. If I install the old software, it still works with the X-Rite software. And I use it with Argyll without any problem.

When an old application requires an old version of an API, you can usually make it works by using compatibility modes in Windows.

Stéphane  [url=http://www.lumieredargen

daicehawk

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 04:56:48 pm »

On average, Microsoft is more careful than Apple to not breaking things. When I had a Mac, with every new major OS release I had to wait for different manufacturers to adapt their drivers. I don't find I have the same problems with Windows.

For example, I have a Gretag Macbeth Eye-One Rev A from 2004, I think and it still works. If I install the old software, it still works with the X-Rite software. And I use it with Argyll without any problem.

When an old application requires an old version of an API, you can usually make it works by using compatibility modes in Windows.
You cannot since you have either X-Rite or Argyll i1pro driver installed, no way to use it in parallel.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 09:27:41 am »

You cannot since you have either X-Rite or Argyll i1pro driver installed, no way to use it in parallel.
IIRC you can have both drivers installed but have to select the appropriate driver dependent on the application being used.

daicehawk

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2017, 11:38:31 am »

IIRC you can have both drivers installed but have to select the appropriate driver dependent on the application being used.
Under Win 7 at least, no.

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2017, 06:21:43 pm »

Under Win 7 at least, no.
Under MSWin 2000, XP, Vista, Win7, Win8 & Win 10 - Yes.
(i.e. why do you think switching drivers doesn't work on 7 ?)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 06:28:36 pm by GWGill »

daicehawk

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 09:00:19 am »

Under MSWin 2000, XP, Vista, Win7, Win8 & Win 10 - Yes.
(i.e. why do you think switching drivers doesn't work on 7 ?)
Ok. I may be wrong. Will try to switch. Just disabling a driver in the Device manager and trying to assign the other one to the device did not work for me.

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2017, 08:48:46 pm »

Ok. I may be wrong. Will try to switch. Just disabling a driver in the Device manager and trying to assign the other one to the device did not work for me.
Switching procedure is here, under "To switch between drivers".

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 11:36:12 am »

the most opaque GUI

I take back the "opaque" comment regarding DisplayCAL.  I had not installed the software properly, and it looked like it had a command line interface.  Once installed, it worked fine.  It took about 18 minutes to generate the profile.  Hard to judge the quality, but it looks good.  Great tip, and thank you!  Looks like I may coax a little more life out of my i1 Display 2.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up