Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Whats a logical upgrade from an Epson R2400?  (Read 5241 times)

Laminarman

Whats a logical upgrade from an Epson R2400?
« on: October 25, 2017, 02:05:45 pm »

I am very happy with my Stylus R2400 but am having several issues with it (feeding, broken tray) and it's getting long in the tooth.  What would be a logical, better, upgrade that prints larger?  Due to space I think something that prints 16x20 would be the max I could go.  A phone call to BH Photo got me an unexpected response when he said the P800 is not as fine a printer as the R2400. 

Laminarman

Re: Whats a logical upgrade from an Epson R2400?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 02:15:05 pm »

Should add I prefer inkjet and $2,500 or under cost.  Thank you.  I am not married to Epson but it has been very good to me for many years. 

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 02:42:21 pm »

I am very happy with my Stylus R2400 but am having several issues with it (feeding, broken tray) and it's getting long in the tooth.  What would be a logical, better, upgrade that prints larger?  Due to space I think something that prints 16x20 would be the max I could go.  A phone call to BH Photo got me an unexpected response when he said the P800 is not as fine a printer as the R2400.

Did you ask that sales person in what respects an R2400 is better than a P800? Anyhow, in today's market you would be looking at either an Epson P800 or a Canon Pro-1000, depending on which feature set is more in line with your preferences. They both make excellent prints.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Laminarman

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 03:31:40 pm »

He said the colors were not as vibrant (saturated is what I think he said) as the R2400.  I asked if profiles and software management could fix the issue and he didn't really have an answer for that.  He said all I would get is larger prints and faster speed. 

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 03:39:42 pm »

He said the colors were not as vibrant (saturated is what I think he said) as the R2400.  I asked if profiles and software management could fix the issue and he didn't really have an answer for that.
He's clueless.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Laminarman

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 05:10:29 pm »

Well OK then, I kind of wondered if there was something off with his response.  I'll have to do some on line research, no where to see a print where I live.  Then order and let the chips fall. 

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 05:13:09 pm »

JeanMichel

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 05:16:13 pm »

My 2400 died a while ago. I replaced it with a P800 and I am very happy with it. The P800 is barely larger than the 2400 (it sits on the same stand I used for it) and it can take 17 inch sheets. The ink cartridges are much larger and cheaper per ml.
Check out the review in this site.
I also have a P6000 (24 in) and if I had to only keep one printer, it would be the P800,
Jean-Michel

Farmer

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 05:51:48 pm »

Phil Brown

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 08:57:53 pm »

He's clueless.
+20.
I'v gone through Epson 2200, 3800, and now P800, which is the best of the lot in many ways.
My understanding is that the 2400 was a slight improvement on the 2200, but the difference between the 2200 and the 3800 was substantial, and the P800 is even better.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Ferp

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 11:03:37 pm »

+30. 

The most direct Epson successor to the R2400 would be the P600, the smaller sibling of the P800.  I used to think that buying the larger 17" model model over the 13" was a no-brainer, as the $/ml cost of the ink is so much lower.  However a recent thread here had a detailed analysis of the relative costs of those two printers.  In short, it's not clear-cut and depends on how much you print.  You have to print enough in order to save enough on the ink to make up the price difference of the more expensive printer.  The cost gap between these two printers is narrowed by the fact that a higher proportion of ink in the P800 seems to be left behind when the cartridge registers as empty, so the $/ml of ink that you actually get to use is higher than cartridge cost / 80ml.  So the P600 would also be worth considering.  It it were me I'd still get the P800.

Farmer

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 04:48:51 am »

The cost gap between these two printers is narrowed by the fact that a higher proportion of ink in the P800 seems to be left behind when the cartridge registers as empty, so the $/ml of ink that you actually get to use is higher than cartridge cost / 80ml.

Ink remaining is not a valid or accurate measure of ink used :-)

Also, with the P800, you can print larger.  Doesn't mean everyone should get a P800 instead of a P600, just another benefit if the budget suits.
Phil Brown

Daverich

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 07:21:56 am »

I don’t know if this is overkill for the OP but considering the price range he mentioned, what about an Epson P5000?  I’ve had mine for two months and have been really happy with it. Among other benefits, not one single nozzle clog during that entire time which includes shutting it off for two weeks while traveling. Huge step up from the Epson 4800 it replaced.

Ferp

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 08:52:24 am »

Ink remaining is not a valid or accurate measure of ink used :-)

It's a valid measure of ink you paid for but weren't able to use.  Which in effect raises the per ml cost of the ink that you did use. 

To the OP: Farmer also made the above comment in a thread that examined in rather tedious detail the relative costs of the P600 & P800.  I still don't get the relevance of his comment, but if you want to explore the issue further the thread is here:
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=119521.0

Yes, 17" is a definite advantage, but I thought that was self-evident.  I'd have thought that the P5000 would be overkill for someone looking to replace an R2400. 

JeanMichel

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 12:42:48 pm »

Worth viewing: https://luminous-landscape.com/videos/back-to-the-print/

As of today, October 26, 2017, after the various rebates available from Epson, the purchase cost difference between the P600 and P800 is only about $200 Canadian. That $200 buys you a lot more printer.

Jean-Michel

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 02:07:16 pm »

That $200 buys you a lot more printer.
And ink! I had a P600 and and also a P800 (and the diehard, a 3880). The P600 cart's were just too darn tiny.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Farmer

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 02:52:55 pm »

It's a valid measure of ink you paid for but weren't able to use.  Which in effect raises the per ml cost of the ink that you did use. 

To the OP: Farmer also made the above comment in a thread that examined in rather tedious detail the relative costs of the P600 & P800.  I still don't get the relevance of his comment, but if you want to explore the issue further the thread is here:
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=119521.0

Yes, 17" is a definite advantage, but I thought that was self-evident.  I'd have thought that the P5000 would be overkill for someone looking to replace an R2400.

Ferp - it's not a valid measure of ink you paid for but weren't able to use.  You pay for, for example, an 80ml cartridge.  If you get to use 80ml then anything that is left is not what you paid for.  If the carts have 81 or 87 or 167ml to start, it doesn't matter.  If you get the amount stated that's what you paid for and if you get the amount stated in both cases (different sized carts for different printers) then you have a direct cost comparison per ml.

Using the remaining ink makes an assumption that simply can't be confirmed or denied (how much ink there was to start with), and more to the point doesn't matter.  The only thing that matters is whether you get to use the amount stated.
Phil Brown

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 03:48:19 pm »

Ferp - it's not a valid measure of ink you paid for but weren't able to use.  You pay for, for example, an 80ml cartridge.  If you get to use 80ml then anything that is left is not what you paid for.  If the carts have 81 or 87 or 167ml to start, it doesn't matter.  If you get the amount stated that's what you paid for and if you get the amount stated in both cases (different sized carts for different printers) then you have a direct cost comparison per ml.

Using the remaining ink makes an assumption that simply can't be confirmed or denied (how much ink there was to start with), and more to the point doesn't matter.  The only thing that matters is whether you get to use the amount stated.

Of course it's impossible to ever know whether you've used 80 ml because Epson has gone out of its way to ensure that P800 users have no utility in the firmware or driver to be able to track ink usage whether for prints or for maintenance. Even on the SC-P5000 it's tedious because the data of ink used per colour per print is only kept for the last 10 jobs, so one needs to keep track of exactly when every tenth job is done in order to print it without duplicating information, and then maintain a separate spread sheet for MANUALLY entering the usage data into a computable format. Canon's Accounting Manager stores a very large number of jobs and outputs the information to a CSV file that is Excel compatible and therein of course totally computable. But it does not account for ink used in maintenance, which when one uses other methods to find out how much turns out to be a lot. There is a galling lack of transparency about ink usage practiced by both companies.

Daverich

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 05:13:12 pm »

I'd have thought that the P5000 would be overkill for someone looking to replace an R2400.

Totally agree but he said his budget was up to $2,500 and with the current rebate the P5000 is about $1K below that. Just thought I'd throw it in.

Laminarman

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2017, 06:31:47 pm »

I appreciate all the advice.  I'll look at the 5000, hadn't even looked at that.  As far as cost for ink...well....it is important, but I have too many cameras, too many lenses, too many opened boxes of paper I'll never likely finish, too many rolls of film yet to be scanned.  I'm in too deep to start counting pennies now : ) 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up