Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Need a new printer??  (Read 8960 times)

pikeys

• My Pics
Need a new printer??
« on: August 24, 2017, 08:10:01 pm »

My Epson R3000,is on its way out.,have had it 7 years
Anyone have any suggestions for a replacement-doesn't have to be a Epson
all I need is it be a 13" printer,and produces excellent photo prints.

I've been using Ilford silk,, Epson exhibition fiber,Epson Velvet fine Art,papers

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

jeffreykmd

Re: Need a new printer??
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 09:14:11 pm »

Canon Pixma Pro 10

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

DtEW

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 09:46:36 pm »

Seconded.

(Re: PRO-10)

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 10:44:19 pm »

Thank You Guys,I will look closely at this model

Mike

Sbarroso

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 05:32:29 am »

If you don't need wifi connection,  think about a pixma pro 1, it should give you higher quality and the cartridges should have much better price per mL. You will spend also more ink per cleaning cycle, but that probably is compensated by the cheaper price. Buying a whole set requires however more money because of the two extra cartridges and the much higher ink content.

However, if you like a lot these papers, consider an Epson printer (e.g 600 or 800), because you will have canned profiles for them, but not for canon's printers. Alternatively you can make your own profiles (€€$$££) or ask some one to do it (affordable for a couple of papers).

You may also consider a printer using dyes instead of pigments (e.g. Pixma pro 100). That's if you don't care much about
 longevity of your prints. The epson exhibition paper is not that good either in this regard, so you may not care much about the inks (dye inks are not that bad nowadays!). This way you save some good money in the printer and the inks.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 05:36:10 am by Sbarroso »

TommyWeir

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 06:29:16 am »

The Epson P600 is a fantastic pigment printer.

I've two pals, one with the Canon Pro 10, the other the Canon Pro 100.  Both are happy with them.

Hard to make a wrong move.

Rand47

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 03:31:45 pm »

The Epson P600 is a fantastic pigment printer.

I've two pals, one with the Canon Pro 10, the other the Canon Pro 100.  Both are happy with them.

Hard to make a wrong move.

+1 on the SC P600

The most trouble free printer I've used in this size.
Beautiful output.  I've never had to do a head cleaning on this printer since I bought it new when they first came out.

I also have an SC P5000, but often use the P600 when I have a small job, or need quick handling. 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

JeanMichel

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 04:50:58 pm »

Check out the review on the P800 in the review section of this site.
I have the P800, barely cost more than the P600 and gives you the option of printing on 17" paper. And it barely takes more space than the 2400 that it replaced. The P800 is no-brainer decision as far as I am concerned. I also have a P6000 and if I had to choose only one, I would choose the P800.
Jean-Michel 

Azmike1

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 05:23:59 pm »

I have the P800, barely cost more than the P600 and gives you the option of printing on 17" paper. And it barely takes more space than the 2400 that it replaced. The P800 is no-brainer decision as far as I am concerned. I also have a P6000 and if I had to choose only one, I would choose the P800.
Jean-Michel

+1 on the P800, plus the ink is a whole lot cheaper than the P600 too.

traderjay

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 10:30:00 pm »

No love for the Pro 1000?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 10:07:16 am »

Jean-Michel
Got both, recommend the P800 for all the reasons you point out above.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Frodo

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 04:58:12 pm »

I just bought a printer, but unlike you, this was my first. I bought an Epson P600.
The main criteria are: what will you print and how much will you print?
You say 13 inch width is enough, but 17 inch printers are not much bigger and give you more flexibility.  I have found, in New Zealand at least, there are far fewer papers available in 13 inch rolls than 17 inch.
The amount you print affects printer head clogging and economies of scale. Apparently Canon printers are less liable to clog with infrequent use, but I will let others argue this point.
Many have stated that P800 ink, at 80ml per cart is cheaper than P600 ink at 26ml per cart. From memory, the excellent Red River study showed that ink costs for a P800 is about half of a P600. But in NZ, a P800 costs $2200 and a P600 costs $1300. $900 buys a lot of ink. In any case, ink is a small part of the total cost of printer capital, paper, ink, coating, mounting/framing, etc. I will have to print and mount or frame many thousands of dollars worth of prints before the P800 generates savings.
I haven't mentioned quality. My reading suggested limited difference, with a slight edge to Epson blacks.
I've been shooting mostly Canon gear since 1970. However, at the NZ Institute of Professional Photography conference the people at the Canon stand were ignorant about printers. Epson had an expert who engaged with me for 15 minutes (and still replies to emails). So I went for Epson.
I bought a P600, largely driven by the $900 saving (plus I got a free set of inks).
I'm very happy. Should I have bought a P800? Ask me in a year's time!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 05:53:03 pm by Frodo »

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 05:45:38 pm »

Honestly,I seemed to have fixed my R3000's clogging issue,but I am still undecided which printer get
A few questions?-does the P600 & 800 have a much better quality ink,as opposed to my R3000
For the past few months,I have not taken any shots with my Canon 5DII,nor, have a printed anything of interest,just a few images from my last trip to Thailand.
My wife & I have a condo in Bangkok,and we be returning in September /October for a few months.

So,maybe I will bang out maybe a few dozen prints,to friends & relatives,when we return.
I guess,you'd call me an advanced amateur,one that's very picky,about fine prints,and of course, clogs,make me go crazy-LOL.
Thanks for all the help/suggestions,you guys are fantastic,
so,I'm leaning to the P600/800
Thanks,
Mike
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 05:55:57 pm by pikeys »

rdonson

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 10:14:36 pm »

I have the SC P800 and I'm quite happy with it.  I thought about the P600 for a bit but I do like the ability to print up to 17x22 sheets. 

One thing that really caught my eye was that for the P800 there is a "maintenance tank/cartridge" that can be replaced when full of ink from cleanings.  I don't know what you do with the P600 in the same situation.  Anybody know?  I hope its not buy a new P600.
Regards,
Ron

Farmer

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2017, 10:36:00 pm »

One thing that really caught my eye was that for the P800 there is a "maintenance tank/cartridge" that can be replaced when full of ink from cleanings.  I don't know what you do with the P600 in the same situation.  Anybody know?  I hope its not buy a new P600.

It doesn't have the same tank, but it will take a long time to reach the point where it's an issue, and then the printer is valuable enough (as opposed to $50- consumer models) that it's economical to have a technician change out the internal waste pads and reset the printer and keep you going.  That said, I know a lot of users with the predecessor models that after years have not reach that point.
Phil Brown

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2017, 10:50:23 pm »

rdson-are you sure the P600 doesn't have the removable tank feature,,for changing
I thought I read that it did,?please correct me if I'm wrong,as I'm about to order this printer.

I know on my R3000,I took the printer in for servicing ,due to clogs, and it ran me $347.00,but they did some, other things ,as well.

Ferp

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2017, 11:32:17 pm »

Many have stated that P800 ink, at 80ml per cart is cheaper than P600 ink at 26ml per cart. From memory, the excellent Red River study showed that ink costs for a P800 is about half of a P600. But in NZ, a P800 costs $2200 and a P600 costs $1300. $900 buys a lot of ink.

It's true that $900 buys a lot of ink, but you're overlooking the fact that you are in fact buying more ink with that $900.  Back in the day when people were comparing the 3880 with the R3000, once you deducted the price of a set of carts from each printer then there wasn't much price difference.  The 3880 was a no-brainer, as you had lower per ml ink costs locked in, and got a 17" printer with a maintenance tank for not much more than the 13" (but lost the roll paper option and CD printing).  Since the P800 only comes with 64ml starter carts rather than the 80ml regular carts, the implied price gap between it and the P600 is wider that the 3880-R3000 gap.  But given that you're buying more ink with the printer, the effective price gap is still a lot less than $900, and you've locked in lower per ml ink costs than the P600.  I still think it's a no-brainer.

Azmike1

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2017, 11:33:56 pm »

rdson-are you sure the P600 doesn't have the removable tank feature,,for changing
I thought I read that it did,?please correct me if I'm wrong,as I'm about to order this printer.

I know on my R3000,I took the printer in for servicing ,due to clogs, and it ran me $347.00,but they did some, other things ,as well.

I checked the owners manual of the P600 and there is no mention of a maintenance tank nor is it shown on the ink cartridge status screen.

Frodo

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2017, 12:13:03 am »

Hi Ferp

Economics will vary according to country, but in NZ at least, the P800 is not a "no-brainer". Using Red River inkjet costs, converted to current NZ cartridge costs (off the epson.co.nz website), an 8x10 inch print printed by a P800 uses $0.99 and a P600 costs $1.44.  This means that the P800 breaks even after 2000 8x10 prints.

Mike, the OP, said "maybe I will bang out maybe a few dozen prints,to friends & relatives,when we return".  At that rate, it will be some years before the P800 breaks even.

And as I noted, I got a free set of inks with the P600, further delaying the payback of the P800.

Of course there are other benefits of the P800 as you and others have noted. If I have buyer's remorse, it relates to the difficulty in getting good 13 inch roll paper.

unesco

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2017, 02:56:11 am »

pikeys, the most natural move for you is to go from R3000 to P600. Virtually the same printer but somehow upgraded. You will have almost the same driver which you already know. Inks are different: i) both blacks, especially MK are much darker (now you can achieve level of black with most of fine art matt papers comparable to what was possible with K3 VM inks on expensive Epson's Hot/Cold Press papers), ii) yellow ink longevity is very improved - it was the major issue with R3000/3880 etc printers, it faded several times fester then the rest of the colors.

if yopu want to change something, you can consider Canon Pro printers. Pro-1 has excellent print quality and not so small tanks, but its maintenance ink-wasting algorithm is a nightmare if you do not print frequently or need to switch off the printer quite often. Pro-100 is worh considering, it is dye based but quality is excellent and it contains one gray ink. Tanks are quite small.

If you need 17" go for P800 or Pro-1000. Both are great printers, both have disadvantages. I had dye Epson 1400, when it died I was considering R3000, then P600, but finally purchased 17" great 3880. And now extended to the second printer, P800. I love them and hate at the same time, but the same would happen to Canon printers as well ;-).
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up