Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom Issues and Questions  (Read 13683 times)

yaredna

Re: Lightroom Issues and Questions
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2018, 11:44:35 am »

Lightroom Classic CC: it works. However:
. in Library mode, i have a folder of a shoot with 600 photos in raw. Sony A7rII. 1:1 previews built, and standard previews built. Performance should be great to scan through the photo and select the few good ones, right ? No ! After going through the fist 20-30 photos, lightroom crawls to a halt. The mouse cursor sometimes disappear. I have to restart lightroom. Go again through 20-30 photos at high speed then it slows again. I tried everything: migrating a folder to a standalone library. Opening it on a different disk. SSD disk. Internal vs. external. With or without GPU support. Modified the cache size up or down. To no avail. Nothing running in background, Lightroom consuming less than 15% CPU, yet it goes extremely slow, like 5 seconds to move from on photo to the other in LIBRARY mode, not in Develop mode. And previews have been built.

Bottom line: this software is now a piece of crap. We thought that with the subscription model, Adobe will pay attention to the performance of this software. Nope.

I am using a windows 10 Laptop x64,  Core i7-8650U CPU, 16GB ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060.

Anyone recommend moving this phase of viewing and selecting photos to another software, such as ACDsee or other ? i need to be able to import the selected photos back into lightroom to process them, or learn how to use Camera raw properly.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2018, 01:28:50 pm »

Bottom line: this software is now a piece of crap. We thought that with the subscription model, Adobe will pay attention to the performance of this software. Nope.

Huh? Recently they've been talking about little else. See these, especially the first one.

https://petapixel.com/2018/01/29/lightroom-still-slow-another-major-performance-update-coming/
https://fstoppers.com/originals/hands-first-look-new-lightroom-update-promises-faster-speeds-216517
https://www.dpreview.com/news/6947305878/adobe-is-preparing-a-major-lightroom-classic-performance-update-and-we-got-to-try-it

JeanMichel

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2018, 02:13:11 pm »

I have experienced a few of the issues mentioned in the thread: losing panels a couple of times, and strange slow-downs in Library or even Develop; and LR refusing to quit even when using Force Quit, necessitating a manual off and on of my IMac. Typically that happens whenI am working in R,PS and InDesign simultaneously. On reboot, LR can be quickly go to beach ball status. The easy fix: Optimize Catalog. Once I do that LR is back as it should be. My catalog has some 146,000 images on four connected drives (one in the iMac, and 3 on in older MacPro). My LR version: Classic 7.1.

Jean-Michel

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2018, 03:21:17 pm »

Using LR Classic CC 7.1 OSX 10.11.6, 24GB RAM, 24 cores (12 + 12 virtual), if anything I'm finding overall performance faster than it was previously, especially backing-up the catalog at the end of sessions, no operational issues in Library, Develop and Print (the three I use nowadays). There's been substantial improvement in the quality of masking - in particular Auto-Mask precision and great reduction of edge artifacts.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

DP

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2018, 03:27:55 pm »

We thought

nobody thought that, not even Schewe (unless you are confusing thoughts with postings) ...

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2018, 06:25:19 pm »

Using LR Classic CC 7.1 OSX 10.11.6, 24GB RAM, 24 cores (12 + 12 virtual), if anything I'm finding overall performance faster than it was previously, especially backing-up the catalog at the end of sessions, no operational issues in Library, Develop and Print (the three I use nowadays).

I'll second that. I'm on a different platform, one that the old Lr couldn't come close to taking advantages of: Win 10, 2x12core (48 virtual) Xeon, 256 GB RAM. There's still not as much parallelism as I'd like, and Lr goes to the disk when it could work out of RAM, but it's a lot better. With big catalogs, I'm seeing the performance going from almost unusable to pretty decent.

Jim

thepurge

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2018, 09:53:53 am »

I have really just started to fully learn lightroom and all the tools in it but the cloud portion confuses me still as to where and how do you save your photos to Adobe’s cloud? If anyone could give me some guidance on how to check this out, it would be greatly appreciated.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up