Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Goodbye pocket cameras hello iPhone X  (Read 8317 times)

David Watson

• David Watson
Goodbye pocket cameras hello iPhone X
« on: September 12, 2017, 03:18:51 pm »

I just watched the Apple keynote presentation as I have done for the past ten years - I like their stuff.  Having been amazed at the image quality from my iPhone 7 I will have no hesitation in buying a new iPhone 10 ASAP if only to upset my great-nieces and great-nephews.  For serious "considered" photography I have my D810 and my Hasselblad but am I a Neanderthal and threatened with extinction?  I don't think so as long as I keep printing (the bigger the better) and perhaps someday a distant descendant will look at my prints in an archive, as we do now with cave paintings, and say gosh "this oldie stuff is cool" but where does our AR tour take us next.

Goodbye prints, goodbye travel - hello brave new world??

Just an old guys thoughts.
David Watson ARPS

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
Re: Goodbye pocket cameras hello iPhone X
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 04:12:39 pm »

Probably better to have been posted in the mobile photography forum. I use my phone, but I prefer a different camera experience for most things, so I doubt cameras and lenses will be replaced by anything apple pops out for the mobile market. A fixed lens is limited, add on lenses are junk for the most part.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 04:31:16 pm »

I find cellphones OK for on the run stuff. But if I'm traveling, I'd rather use a real camera, even a point and shoot is better that I can see what I'm shooting in the strong sun and the ergonomics are terrible on cell phones.  Also, no zoom.  Having said that, you can get good shots, but it takes more work.  This is from a 4 year old Samsung S4.  I've upgraded to a S7.  But the problems are still the same.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/albums/72157683436803336

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 05:21:07 pm »

I look at it from a slightly different perspective.   With 4K video I could keep me from a GoPro purchase. 
Regards,
Ron

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 07:18:18 pm »

I look at it from a slightly different perspective.   With 4K video I could keep me from a GoPro purchase.

No kidding.  To say nothing of 1080P/240fps and OIS.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 03:52:47 am »

Here in Portugal this type of phone ruins close to EUR 1,000. For my photography, I would rather spend the money elsewhere.

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 04:23:16 am »

I just watched the Apple keynote presentation as I have done for the past ten years - I like their stuff.  Having been amazed at the image quality from my iPhone 7 I will have no hesitation in buying a new iPhone 10 ASAP if only to upset my great-nieces and great-nephews.  For serious "considered" photography I have my D810 and my Hasselblad but am I a Neanderthal and threatened with extinction?  I don't think so as long as I keep printing (the bigger the better) and perhaps someday a distant descendant will look at my prints in an archive, as we do now with cave paintings, and say gosh "this oldie stuff is cool" but where does our AR tour take us next.

Another old guy's thought is that it's just another sinking asset status symbol.

However, a new steel bracelet for a Rolex Submariner will cost you north of €1200, so go figure... I decided to keep the old, stretched-beyond-springs'-capacity one I have had since '72. Keeping the watch, too. That comes in, apparently, at more than €12,500 today - for something that cost me around £100 back in the 70s. Amazing. Wish my other "investments" had been as clever. Had I known, I'd have bought a box of watches instead of wasting money producing now useless stock images, I'd be sitting pretty, selling one off each year just to make the pension feel better...

As for the cellphone - simply more greedy nonsense from the electronic world of games. Apple and its market deserve one another.

Rob

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 04:54:02 am »

Here in Portugal this type of phone ruins close to EUR 1,000. For my photography, I would rather spend the money elsewhere.
I have printed some iPhone photos and at 100% they look awful but in print hold up to A4-A3. A quality good enough for magazine covers as evidence has showed.
I look at it as a very different type of camera than my FF  It can do things my FF cannot do and vice versa and you always have it with you and you get a phone + mobile computer extra.
Would like to see if the quality again has improved with the latest models.
One of my main problems is how to get the real quality of my photos published- Internet rules.
and also here- Bernard shows his 100MP files small, we have never seen the true quality of his photos; and to be honest at this small size i cannot see anything special, or it must be the look of a lens.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

NigelC

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 06:10:32 am »

Am I missing something regarding iPhone replacing compact cameras? For reasons of lifestyle I am frequently caught out with nothing but my iPhone 5S. The pictures are fine shared with another phone but opened up on a laptop screen or printed out A4 they are awful and sometimes default to a sort of impressionistic water colour style. Not remotely comparable to pictures from my 9 year old Lumix LX3

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 06:57:05 am »

I have printed some iPhone photos and at 100% they look awful but in print hold up to A4-A3. A quality good enough for magazine covers as evidence has showed.
I look at it as a very different type of camera than my FF  It can do things my FF cannot do and vice versa and you always have it with you and you get a phone + mobile computer extra.
One of my main problems is how to get the real quality of my photos published- Internet rules.
and also here- Bernard shows his 100MP files small, we have never seen the true quality of his photos; and to be honest at this small size i cannot see anything special, or it must be the look of a lens.

My comment was more on the price they charge for this stuff. Not only from Apple, mind you; Samsung top phones are also very expensive. People are willing to pay this sort of money to get the phones as status symbols, go figure where the values of society have gone to...

Sure, I will never buy a small sensor compact camera again, since my phone takes adequate snapshots and videos. But I also refuse to pay these ***nographic prices.

hogloff

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 09:21:30 am »

My comment was more on the price they charge for this stuff. Not only from Apple, mind you; Samsung top phones are also very expensive. People are willing to pay this sort of money to get the phones as status symbols, go figure where the values of society have gone to...

Sure, I will never buy a small sensor compact camera again, since my phone takes adequate snapshots and videos. But I also refuse to pay these ***nographic prices.

And yet we'll pay upwards of $4,000 for a camera and another $5,000 in lenses...when older generation cameras and lenses do just fine and can be purchased for 1/10 the price of new. Look at all the sheeple lining up to purchase the D850 when they already have very capable gear...just like the sheeple lining up for the latest iPhone even though they already have a phone.

BradSmith

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 04:03:09 pm »

And yet we'll pay upwards of $4,000 for a camera and another $5,000 in lenses...when older generation cameras and lenses do just fine and can be purchased for 1/10 the price of new. Look at all the sheeple lining up to purchase the D850 when they already have very capable gear...just like the sheeple lining up for the latest iPhone even though they already have a phone.

You're right.  Many, many people have toys that they really enjoy and they always want the latest and greatest.  Whether it is cameras, watches, cell phones, golf clubs or audio, or you name it, they can justify the latest and greatest when they already have the latest and greatest from 8 months ago.  Whereas other people have those same classes of toys that they really love, but one or two or three generations old because they recognize that they more than meet their needs (as opposed to their wants). 

Telecaster

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 04:15:28 pm »

I take lotsa pics with my phone 'cuz it's the camera I always have with me. Image quality is good enough for most purposes despite being a 4-year-old gizmo.

I'll likely get an iPhone 8 Plus for Xmas due to the increases in speed & storage capacity as well as the higher-res camera(s). The X looks a bit too form over function for my taste, though we'll see if that plays out in actual use.

The two cameras I've used most during 2017, not counting the phone, are now 8 and 5 years old and lack autofocus.  :)

-Dave-

donbga

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 08:11:14 pm »

Who says you can't do serious photography with any camera; never mind a camera phone or pocket digital camera.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 05:19:35 am »

Here is a shot from this morning with my iPhone 7 plus

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 10:20:01 am »

Am I missing something regarding iPhone replacing compact cameras? For reasons of lifestyle I am frequently caught out with nothing but my iPhone 5S. The pictures are fine shared with another phone but opened up on a laptop screen or printed out A4 they are awful and sometimes default to a sort of impressionistic water colour style. Not remotely comparable to pictures from my 9 year old Lumix LX3

About the IQ from the iPhone 5S I agree, but the newer phones from 6S and onward which can shoot in RAW and is supported in Lightroom Mobile camera, the quality is worlds apart from the 5S. The 1:1 view from the 7Plus using the Lightroom camera looks good, although not quite as sharp as my 5DSR, but still quite impressive for a phone.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 10:21:40 am »

As mentioned I think the IQ from the 7Plus using Lightroom Mobile is pretty good and not awful at all.

Rob C

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 11:29:29 am »

No, some of us won't.

When I was actively running my photography business I bought whatever I needed and knew was going to extend my range and make my life both better and easier. I kept a couple of Hasselblads and always at least three Nikons and a battery of lenses for both systems. Back in the 60s/70s that cost a lot of money that makes the 5 grand (dollars) of today chicken feed. I always bought new for obvious business reasons.

Today, long retired, I use two digital Nikons - my old D200 as well as a D700. I have two af lenses and a few more that are manual.

As you mentioned later in your post, it makes no sense for me - today - to spend more when there is no return other than a few images for my website. Buying equipment was never something I did because I was a gearhead. I bought what I needed - and nothing more. I see no sound reason for changing my ways today.

Some believe that new, more costly cameras will make them new photographers. Instead, all the bigger 'n' better stuff will do for them is let them make exactly the same exciting/boring stuff they always made. It never is the camera that thinks. It's inert. If you have no vision, the best glasses in the world won't help you. That's the bitter pill many refuse to accept, constantly attempting to buy what isn't for sale.

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 05:09:47 pm »

So I think the Iphone now costs more than the new replacement price of my K3. Admittedly, without a lens the Pentax is not so great for photos.

In the other direction, the Android phone I bought a couple of months back for 220-ish Euros also does "good enough" photos under many of the same conditions... and I feel about as motivated to swap the Android for an i-phone as the Pentax for a Nikon.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2017, 06:58:20 pm »

Some believe that new, more costly cameras will make them new photographers. Instead, all the bigger 'n' better stuff will do for them is let them make exactly the same exciting/boring stuff they always made. It never is the camera that thinks. It's inert. If you have no vision, the best glasses in the world won't help you. That's the bitter pill many refuse to accept, constantly attempting to buy what isn't for sale.

What's new?  ;)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up