Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: DNG transfer from Lightroom to 3rd party software  (Read 10129 times)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: DNG transfer from Lightroom to 3rd party software
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2017, 04:27:23 am »

The OP doesn't want the file rendered, he wants to open a DNG directly through LR (the edit in command).
It can't do it.

The OP didn't specify, but we can assume, that he still wants to use LR only for its DAM features. If that is the case, he'd need a means to use LR to send the Raw DNG directly to Affinity Photo for Raw conversion and processing. That is apparently not possible with LR.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2017, 04:44:13 am »

The OP didn't specify, but we can assume, that he still wants to use LR only for its DAM features. If that is the case, he'd need a means to use LR to send the Raw DNG directly to Affinity Photo for Raw conversion and processing. That is apparently not possible with LR.

Cheers,
Bart
Agreed it's best for him to post a feature request at the appropriate Adobe Forum for Feature Requests and Bug Fixes. See the link below.
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/categories/photoshop_family_photoshop_lightroom
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2017, 04:48:14 am »

No, it is possible in certain circumstances, as described above. It's just a waste of effort.

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2017, 05:31:08 am »

If you want to open the DNG itself, and only if you are on Mac, you can drag the DNG onto the other app's icon in the Dock. Or use that plugin.

So you can open the DNG itself, though you may as well adjust it entirely in LR and just use Affinity for Photoshop-style edits.

OK I am not a user of DNG myself but I am trying to keep informed.
What specifically are you saying and advising here?
If you drag the DNG file to the Affinity Application from the Lightroom film strip, it will open in Afinity?
Will Affinity apply any or all of metadata and edits applied in Lightroom and saved to the DNG file?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2017, 06:06:47 am »

OK I am not a user of DNG myself but I am trying to keep informed.
What specifically are you saying and advising here?

> If you drag the DNG file to the Affinity Application from the Lightroom film strip, it will open in Afinity?

Yes, as was said above, on a Mac you can drag a DNG onto any app in the Dock.

Sadly, on Windows Adobe have never enabled drag and drop to other apps. So on Windows, or if LR is in Full Screen mode (ie the Mac Dock is hidden), just use the plugin. For one app, it's free.

> Will Affinity apply any or all of metadata and edits applied in Lightroom and saved to the DNG file?

That wasn't the OPs question, of course. In any case, I don't use Affinity and can only answer generally. If you have saved metadata back to the DNG, it is possible for third party apps to read any metadata, even adjustment values, and also to display the adjusted preview that is embedded in the DNG. So in a third party app, you can see the results of your Lightroom edits. That's one advantage of DNG.

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2017, 07:26:42 am »

> If you drag the DNG file to the Affinity Application from the Lightroom film strip, it will open in Afinity?

Yes, as was said above, on a Mac you can drag a DNG onto any app in the Dock.

Sadly, on Windows Adobe have never enabled drag and drop to other apps. So on Windows, or if LR is in Full Screen mode (ie the Mac Dock is hidden), just use the plugin. For one app, it's free.

> Will Affinity apply any or all of metadata and edits applied in Lightroom and saved to the DNG file?

That wasn't the OPs question, of course. In any case, I don't use Affinity and can only answer generally. If you have saved metadata back to the DNG, it is possible for third party apps to read any metadata, even adjustment values, and also to display the adjusted preview that is embedded in the DNG. So in a third party app, you can see the results of your Lightroom edits. That's one advantage of DNG.

Ok John, many thanks for the clarification.

MLrgb

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2017, 07:45:02 am »

Thank you for your answers!
 especially Francisco, the Open Directly link was exactly what I needed.
Now my only concern is is to get my new TIFF fully develope back to Lightroom. I found a way it's a bit long but I will manage.

I also want to thank Rhossydd for holding the fort during my absence.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2017, 09:49:57 am »

You're still stubbornly missing the point. The OP doesn't want the file rendered, he wants to open a DNG directly through LR (the edit in command).
It can't do it.
You're still stubbornly missing the point! The OP can open the DNG in Affinity Photo. Affinity Photo can open DNG files, render them; done.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2017, 09:57:45 am »

If you drag the DNG file to the Affinity Application from the Lightroom film strip, it will open in Afinity?
Will Affinity apply any or all of metadata and edits applied in Lightroom and saved to the DNG file?
Yes on Mac, yes on Windows if one simply uses the open command.
No, as I already described. LR can open (render) the DNG or a raw of course. So can Affinity. But each does so uniquely using their own proprietary raw processing. You can have two renderings of a DNG from each product. You can render in one and send to the other. There are various ways to do this.
What you can't do with a DNG or any raw file is send it from one raw converter like ACR/LR to another (Affinity) and maintain the processing from product A to product B as well. Pick one for raw rendering, period. Render, send it to the other product (it's not raw any longer). LR and Affinity are using unique and proprietary raw to rendered pixel processing. True with any raw converter.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2017, 12:43:55 pm »

Hello!
 I'm trying to transfer DNG files from Lightroom 5 to Affinity Photo.
Since you're using DNG, see if you have these settings invoked and their possible features/options when moving DNG files around (the ability to maintain and extract a JPEG of the current proprietary rendering):

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2017, 10:54:11 pm »

Yes on Mac, yes on Windows if one simply uses the open command.
No, as I already described. LR can open (render) the DNG or a raw of course. So can Affinity. But each does so uniquely using their own proprietary raw processing. You can have two renderings of a DNG from each product. You can render in one and send to the other. There are various ways to do this.
What you can't do with a DNG or any raw file is send it from one raw converter like ACR/LR to another (Affinity) and maintain the processing from product A to product B as well. Pick one for raw rendering, period. Render, send it to the other product (it's not raw any longer). LR and Affinity are using unique and proprietary raw to rendered pixel processing. True with any raw converter.

OK this is also my understanding.

rdonson

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2017, 03:54:58 pm »

Hello!
 I'm trying to transfer DNG files from Lightroom 5 to Affinity Photo. In Lightroom when I right click on the file I choose the software I want to use, after Lightroom gives me in file format only 3 choice  TIFF-PSD-JPEG. If I want to transfer a real DNG and not a conversion to TIFF I have to leave Lightroom and go in my main files which is annoying since i have many files to treat in many different folders. 
Thank for our your help!

Here's how I interpret the OP's request.

From Lightroom "Develop" or "Library" use "Edit In" which will create a DNG and send it to Affinity Photo. 

This approach is possible if you choose TIFF, PSD or JPG in the configuration "Preferences" "External Editors" in Lightroom.  DNG is NOT an option for this.  Therefore Lightroom won't perform the task he's looking for with "Edit In". 
Regards,
Ron

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2017, 01:48:14 am »

I'll also vouch for the fact that what the OP wants to do is NOT possible in the fashion he mentions.

He apparently does NOT want or care if any LR adjustments are present in the sent DNG.  He wants to just use "Edit In" when right-clicking an image in the grid, filmstrip, loupe, develop module, etc..  And to 'send/push' (semantics) the plain original DNG straight to Affinity without any adjustments..  He does NOT want to send a rendered file to Affinity, PERIOD -- just the original [DNG] file.

This is plainly just not possible in this particular fashion.  While it's true that there are many ways to skin a cat, this is one way in which the cat can NOT be skinned.  It would need to be a feature request.

The only [universal] ways I know can do this are via plugins or export "As Original" (or also as DNG, for DNG files).  For instance, there is a plugin for DXO to send the original file to DXO and then bring the rendered file back into LR - and also ones for ON1, Photomatix, and possibly others too.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 02:04:07 am by Hoggy »
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2017, 10:28:36 am »

DNG is NOT an option for this.  Therefore Lightroom won't perform the task he's looking for with "Edit In".
IT can't be an option, it's a DNG which is raw data in this context. The raw HAS to be rendered to appear in Affinity, Photoshop or anything else that can't decode raw data! Now like ACR inside of Photoshop, Affinity can do so. There's nothing to pass within a DNG expect maybe proprietary instructions; you can do this between ACR and LR, two Adobe products. And you can't with Affinity or any non Adobe products.

It's like asking why LR can't pass an illustrator file to that product as a bitmap instead of a vector. There are at least two major reasons why LR can't do this. Both having to do with the file formats.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2017, 10:29:29 am »

He apparently does NOT want or care if any LR adjustments are present in the sent DNG.  He wants to just use "Edit In" when right-clicking an image in the grid, filmstrip, loupe, develop module, etc..  And to 'send/push' (semantics) the plain original DNG straight to Affinity without any adjustments..  He does NOT want to send a rendered file to Affinity, PERIOD -- just the original [DNG] file.
HE (and I) can do this; open the DNG in Affinity.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2017, 02:21:35 pm »

The raw HAS to be rendered to appear in Affinity, Photoshop or anything else that can't decode raw data!
But back in reply #3 you said;
Affinity Photo will open a DNG. Not sure what the problem is.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2017, 10:01:56 pm »

But back in reply #3 you said;
Correct. Affinity renders the raw.

rdonson

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2017, 03:17:54 pm »

I've been thinking about this and there may be a way for this to work but it's kind of obtuse and requires programming talent but you lose any Lr adjustments.  I think about the way that Iridient X-Transformer works with Lightroom.

Using "File" "Plug-in Extras" you select Iridient X-Transformer -"Process Selected RAF(s) to DNG" .  --- this invokes X-Transformer and using the fact that it then knows filename; drive, folder, etc it ingests the RAF file, applies whatever options you've set up in X-Transformer then returns the DNG neatly to Lightroom.   

Some variation on this might work to get DNG files to Affinity Photo from Lightroom but the work would be on Serif to do the programming.

This becomes moot if Serif ever adds content management to Affinity Photo and the ability to read and ingest the Lightroom catalog.  Right now Affinity Photo is trying very hard to be a very usable alternative to PS. 

Regards,
Ron

aduke

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2017, 04:55:21 pm »

A procedure to export a DNG from LR to Affinity is to right-click the thumbnail either in the film-strip or in the grid display, select export then select export to DNG. The result is a DNG file in the directory of choice that is, apparently, identical to the LR version. Affinity was not bothered by the existence of LR metadata changes.

Alan

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2017, 04:59:50 pm »

Using "File" "Plug-in Extras" you select Iridient X-Transformer -"Process Selected RAF(s) to DNG" .  --- this invokes X-Transformer and using the fact that it then knows filename; drive, folder, etc it ingests the RAF file, applies whatever options you've set up in X-Transformer then returns the DNG neatly to Lightroom.   

The file container may be DNG after processing by X-Transformer, but my understanding is that the raw data originally emitted by the camera have been demosaiced.  In other words, the Iridient DNG file apparently contains pixels rather than RGB luminance data from the camera's sensor.

Phil Harvey's Exiftool reports an attribute in these Iridient DNG files of "Photometric Interpretation: Linear Raw."  I don't know precisely what that means in this context; the official U.S. Library of Congress documentation for the DNG format does not define "Linear Raw" except to say that a DNG file may contain that attribute "when produced by certain cameras or by de-mosaicing CFA data."  [Emphasis supplied.]  And near the end, in its notes section, the Library's documentation states:

"Raw DNG" and "Linear DNG." The photographer Barry Pearson writes that DNG files are well understood to contain "mosaiced" sensor data (typically from a Bayer array), and he calls this format Raw DNG. But he reminds readers of another option, Linear DNG, said to be "a rarer variety of DNG, containing RGB image data (or not just RGB!) arranged in a rectilinear format. (Most practical examples of Linear DNG hold RGB image data, but it isn't a constraint, and 4 or more colours are allowed. For example, A Linear DNG obtained by converting the raw file from a Sony F828 has an extra channel, 'Aqua,' rather like Cyan). This RGB image data may have come from demosaiced raw image data, or from another source such as TIFF or JPEG or something else. (There is little difference between 'demosaiced' and 'never mosaiced')."

Jeff Schewe, writing in a 2005 issue of PhotoshopNews.com reported that Adobe's DNG convertor application "allows you to either keep the DNG in the un-demosaiced form or to demosaic the file and convert to a linear file. Generally, you'll want to keep the file in its un-demosaiced form as there is a space savings. Linear DNGs have already been converted to RGB files and therefore are larger." The article as presented includes an inserted editor's note: "[Digital imaging expert] Bruce Fraser sent the following comment regarding Linear DNG: 'The only reason to use Linear DNG is to feed the file to a DNG reader that can't understand the particular flavor of DNG that DNG Converter creates for the specific camera, or to act as an interchange format—e.g., lens correx with DxO can write out a linear DNG that ACR can read. This is typically NOT an option people want, not because of size considerations, but because it's no longer really raw—it's half-baked. All the operations that take place during demosaicing are set in stone and can't be redone.'"

So when you convert a raw file from the camera manufacturer's native format to the DNG format with the Adobe converter, you can preserve the raw data and just move it into a different container.  But X-Transformer performs various image transformations before producing its DNG—for example sharpening, which many of its users believe it does better than Lightroom—and to do that it presumably needs pixels.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up