Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: DNG transfer from Lightroom to 3rd party software  (Read 10127 times)

rdonson

Re: DNG transfer from Lightroom to 3rd party software
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2017, 07:58:57 am »

Yes, I use Iridient because I think the demosaicing and sharpness is preferable to Adobe for my Fuji files.

MacPhun provides a Plug-In for Lightroom for Luminar that works as I described. Fuji owners also use this.

The real point is that a plug-in can be created that would satisfy the OPs desire. The OP wanted a straightforward workflow that did not introduce added steps.
Regards,
Ron

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2017, 09:03:16 am »

The real point is that a plug-in can be created that would satisfy the OPs desire.

Which was done about 8 years ago.... See reply #2.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2017, 11:51:20 am »

Which was done about 8 years ago.... See reply #2.

Yes, the "process-to-DNG" functionality offered by Iridient X-Transformer does what your Open Directly plug-in does—albeit less flexibly than your approach because the Iridient method only allows the user to launch X-Transformer to process the raw file while your plug-in works with any program.

If the goal is to launch a different product from Lightroom, so that product rather than Lightroom can demosaic the raw data, process it in some fashion, and then return the pixels to Lightroom for either additional processing or just asset management, your plug-in does the trick in a very general manner.

If the goal is to have Lightroom demosaic the raw file and then have another program do something with the pixels, Lightroom's Edit-In functionality works just fine.  It doesn't matter whether you pass the pixels to the other program in a DNG or a TIFF file format because when used in this way they are both just containers for the pixels that were rendered by Lightroom.  (My understanding is that when used as containers for rendered images, the DNG and TIFF formats offer essentially the same functionality.)

The point I was trying to make in my earlier post was that DNG doesn't mean the same thing as "raw."  A DNG file can be a container for raw data (the RGB or whatever luminance values recorded by a light sensor) or it can be a container for pixels.  But in the latter case, the user needs to decide which program is going to produce those pixels.  You only get one shot at that.  Afterwards, you can pass the pixels back-and-forth as many times as you like and in whatever file format you prefer, and use multiple programs to modify them.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up