Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: New PC build vs iMac  (Read 13926 times)

DP

Re: New PC build vs iMac
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2020, 07:30:15 am »

Overall Macs can be more economical if you factor in maintenance over a period of years, though this might be less of a factor for an individual user who is capable of doing all of his or her own maintenance and has the time for that.

I do not recall doing any maintenance on my PCs whatsover ... they just work, granted I did not buy anything from a junk yard to start with.

mecrox

• My Online Portfolio
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2020, 06:22:38 am »

Overall Macs can be more economical if you factor in maintenance over a period of years, though this might be less of a factor for an individual user who is capable of doing all of his or her own maintenance and has the time for that.

My experience is that PCs are fairly easy to refresh - graphics card, memory, disks - at say halfway through their expected life. On the other hand, my experience is also that PCs tend to become buggier as they age and that is almost always down to drivers or clumsily updated software packages. I haven't owned Macs since the 1990s but from the outside it looks as if they are more reliable but at the price of not being nearly so upgradeable if upgradeable at all. I'd guess it is likely a wash between the two unless someone really doesn't want to wrestle with the internals at all, in which case a Mac is likely preferable. My wife has a Dell laptop which I maintain for her every month or so. I am always amazed at the quantity of updates and stuff that rolls in over just a few weeks, many poorly explained and not automatic. This is far beyond what most folks can mess with and any company offering a quality product (I am not saying Dell necessarily falls into this category) should not expect them to. You can see why the world is generally going mobile. It's overall much simpler. I need a new PC but I am increasingly turned off by sheer clunkiness and dodgy reliability of the big boxes with five fans, a mess of wires, huge heat sinks, thermal issues, noise, monster power draws, bios updates from who knows that can tank the whole box, et al. There is just too much to go wrong. I'm looking now at getting an HP Z book hooked up to a 27" monitor with storage hanging off thunderbolt. At least the Z book is easy to open up and upgrade, and it comes with multi-year onsite support.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 06:27:36 am by mecrox »
Mark @ Flickr

geneo

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2020, 01:39:28 pm »

If you are computer savvy and know what you want, then a PC is was better choice and less expensive desktop choice.  If not, then a MAC is like an appliance and the better choice for you, though I have had my share of issues with MAC OS and software  as well. 

My preference is a PC for desktop and a MacBook for a laptop. Since you can't really customize or tailor a laptop very much, and the MacBook Pro's and Air's have excellent build quality, the laptop choice is a no-brainer to me (I think an Windows laptop of equivalent build quality is nearly as costly).
Walk softly and carry a big lens

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2020, 12:49:09 pm »

At the moment i find the iMac 2020 good value; if you want a computer with a screen attached.
But i still prefer a MacPro type 2012 and choose my own screen.
Since it does not exist and the MacPro2019 is indeed a year behind and way too expensive; I would build my own box based on a pci-4.0 board and ingredients.
Much faster and cheaper then a Macpro2019 and then i would make it into a Hackintosh, for i like OSX better. (up until Mojave at least)
I have very little problems on my present pci 3.0 Hack running Mojave.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

diane29

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2020, 10:28:08 am »

Well, it has been already 3 years, however i still consider that in case you are looking for a new pc, and comparing a new build (a windows one) or an imac, well, a fully new build is a better option. I mean, with the same money you pay for an imac, you can get windows build which would be twice better, with the performance levels would be at least twice better. However the imac is actually a really great thing. I understood that a new build is a better idea was after i asked for help on https://gadgetguide.in. The guys are there to select for you the best variant for your requirements.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 12:08:24 pm by diane29 »

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2020, 12:06:09 pm »

Well, it has been already 3 years, however i still consider that in case you are looking for a new pc, and comparing a new build (a windows one) or an imac, well, a fully new build is a better option. I mean, with the same money you pay for an imac, you can get windows build which would be twice better, with the performance levels would be at least twice better.
Then you calculate without the very nice 5K iMac screen. LG sells it for about 1200$.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

jrsforums

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2020, 12:37:11 pm »

Thanks everyone for your valuable input and suggestions. No decision made yet...too busy to do the fresh install on the old machine this week.

-pw

Before you do your fresh install, you may want to clone the ‘C’ drive using the free Macrium Reflect.  Since many programs save data in the ‘user’ area, I often find it necessary to use the clone to find the stuff I forgot to backup before building.
John

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2020, 12:53:56 pm »

Before you do your fresh install, you may want to clone the ‘C’ drive using the free Macrium Reflect.  Since many programs save data in the ‘user’ area, I often find it necessary to use the clone to find the stuff I forgot to backup before building.
Do you realize you answer to a post of three years ago..?
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

jrsforums

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2020, 12:55:17 pm »

Do you realize you answer to a post of three years ago..?

Ooops....no....😀
John

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2020, 01:30:43 pm »

The thread had died a natural death in 2017. It was restarted by a pseudo-spammer. whose post (and licence to post) I have removed.

Jeremy

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2020, 03:16:06 pm »

I noticed; still this stays a topic...

what is a 'pseudo spammer' ?
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2020, 05:17:09 am »

I noticed; still this stays a topic...

what is a 'pseudo spammer' ?

Someone who behaves in a fashion that has become increasingly prevalent over the past few months. Initially benign, although nearly always fatuous, posts* conceal the true intention which becomes apparent later. Sometimes I nip them in the bud.

Jeremy

*hard to distinguish from the rest, in many threads
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up