Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New tilt-shifts on the way  (Read 512871 times)

shadowblade

New tilt-shifts on the way
« on: August 03, 2017, 02:36:25 pm »

http://www.canonrumors.com/three-new-tilt-shift-lenses-on-the-way-cr2/

I'm presuming two of them will be replacements for the antiquated TS-E 45 and TS-E 90 (maybe the same focal lengths, maybe something similar like 50mm and 100mm - who knows).

But, apparently, there will also be a third one. Hoping for something around the 200mm range, or an updated, even-sharper 24mm.

Hopefully they'll record full shift/tilt data in the EXIF, making it possible to create correction profiles for CA (especially) and whatever minor distortion they may have.

NancyP

Re: New tilt-shifts on the way
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 06:06:11 pm »

Has there ever been a 200-ish mm tilt-shift lens for the 24 x 36 mm film/sensor format?

shadowblade

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 01:16:44 am »

Has there ever been a 200-ish mm tilt-shift lens for the 24 x 36 mm film/sensor format?

No.

But neither was there a 17mm (or other wider-than-24mm) tilt-shift when the TS-E 17 came out.

A 200mm tilt-shift wouldn't even need to be substantially larger than any other 200mm lens, particularly if it's f/4 rather than f/2.8. At such focal lengths, the main thing dictating the size of the lens and its elements is the size of the aperture required - in the case of a 200mm f/4, it would be 50mm.

Hopefully they will be used as selling points for a 5Ds2 announcement, just like supertelephotos and other action lenses are often used for action body announcements. Although, as manual-focus lenses, they can be mounted onto Sony, Leica and several other lens mounts with no loss of function.

Rado

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 05:16:33 am »

Good news, although not for my wallet. The 45 & 90mm update is long overdue.

As for a 200mm T/S - what would be the use case for that?

shadowblade

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 06:36:49 am »

Good news, although not for my wallet. The 45 & 90mm update is long overdue.

As for a 200mm T/S - what would be the use case for that?

Landscapes.

Getting the entire scene in focus is always a challenge at longer focal lengths. And, with increasing sensor resolution, you can't just stop down to f/16 or f/22 if you want to retain fine detail and microcontrast. Tilt is a good option for getting around that.

Long tilt-shifts can also be good for creative group portraits, as they allow you to arrange subjects such that the line or plane formed by the subjects' faces do not have to be parallel to the sensor plane, while retaining sharp focus on all of them.

Generally, as focal length increases, shift becomes less useful (less geometrical distortion to correct when fixing verticals or stitching panoramas, so there's less lost when using a normal lens compared with at shorter focal lengths) but tilt becomes much more useful. A camera with a tiltable sensor would be ideal, but, since Canon is unlikely to introduce that any time soon, a long tilt-shift would be the next-best thing.

I also hope these lenses come with an inbuilt tripod foot, like the Schneider tilt-shifts - it would make them even better for stitching, without having to turn to third-party solutions.

viewfinder

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 06:54:51 am »

long focus tilt can be very useful for some technical subjects and natural history work where close ups of small animals and insects are required without approaching the subject too closely.   Also, some medical work notably in operating theatre where depth of field is often difficult and it's important not t get in the way of the surgical team.

NancyP

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 10:58:17 am »

Does anyone actually use pro photographers in the operating room anymore?  ???
What with endoscopes and their cameras, and with residents, med students, and circulating nurses with cell phones or with the surgeon's DSLR, I haven't seen a pro photographer in an OR for many years (at least for documenting surgical technique, where an amateur photographer with a grasp of the procedure is likely to make a more useful video than a pro photographer who doesn't know specific surgical planning behind the procedure).

Dentists!! However, dentists are better off using as small a format as reasonable.

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 03:56:45 am »

Ok, this means I need to rush my idea of selling my copy of the 24 TS-E II after I return from Iceland... if they release a 24 TS-E III, the second hand value of the II version will take a hit (unless version III goes close to 3000€... not strange in this market with the prices going up...)

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 08:36:21 am »

Ok, this means I need to rush my idea of selling my copy of the 24 TS-E II after I return from Iceland... if they release a 24 TS-E III, the second hand value of the II version will take a hit (unless version III goes close to 3000€... not strange in this market with the prices going up...)

What makes you think they will replace the II with a III?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 09:03:37 am »

What makes you think they will replace the II with a III?

Cheers,
Bart

My luck :), no reason in particular, just trying to put myself in the worst case scenario. I want to sell this lens because I'm not using it too much and I was planning to do this for several months now, just too lazy to do it, this will force me a bit.

I think Canon will create a really good TS-E group of lenses if they release something like a 135 TS-E together with the new versions of 90 and 45 mm.

Regards,

David

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 08:24:11 pm »

I think Canon will create a really good TS-E group of lenses if they release something like a 135 TS-E together with the new versions of 90 and 45 mm.

Regards,

David

Yes, those 3 are coming. Can't wait!

http://www.canonrumors.com/new-tilt-shift-lenses-to-be-45mm-90mm-135mm-cr2/

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 03:18:45 am »

shadowblade

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 08:03:22 am »

Yes, those 3 are coming. Can't wait!

http://www.canonrumors.com/new-tilt-shift-lenses-to-be-45mm-90mm-135mm-cr2/

Looking forward to them!

135mm is perhaps a bit close to 95mm (easily achievable with a 1.4x TC) - I would have thought something in the 150-200mm range would be ideal, to maximise the range covered by TS-E lenses - but, even so, it's good to have tilt-shift coverage from 17mm to 200mm (including a 1.4x TC on the 135mm).

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 11:20:58 am »

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 12:07:35 pm »

As of late, Canon are coming up with really interesting lenses. And folks still say that they are "boring" and not "innovative":)

That 135 TSE macro could finally convince me to buy an adaptor to use it on my Sony A7:)

shadowblade

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 05:05:07 pm »

As of late, Canon are coming up with really interesting lenses. And folks still say that they are "boring" and not "innovative":)

That 135 TSE macro could finally convince me to buy an adaptor to use it on my Sony A7:)

If it's sharp enough to take TCs without noticeable loss of IQ, the 135mm could end up being an excellent macro lens with bo equivalent.

Put a 1.4x TC on it and it becomes a 189mm f/5.6, with 0.7x maximum magnification. Put a 2x TC and it becomes 270mm f/8, with 1x reproduction. Small apertures, for sure,  but fairly typical for macros of small subjects. And the tilt function would be invaluable for getting even more of the subject in focus.

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 05:25:23 pm »

I do hope these 'macro' lenses are still pretty good (read excellent) at infinity.
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

Shiftworker

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2017, 05:39:02 am »

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk
The 24mm TS-E II is as near to perfection for a 24mm lens as it's possible to get  - unless they can make it significantly smaller and lighter with no loss of optical performance I very much doubt there are plans to 'upgrade' it. The 17mm is not as good - the focus shift and warped plane of focus could be sorted to bring it nearer to the performance of the 24mm. The 45mm has desperately needed upgrading for years. I'm finding it difficult to see a requirement for shift lenses in longer focal lengths as the converging verticals are far less extreme and easily corrected in software with little loss of quality. Tilt is obviously an advantage for macro or studio work but there are plenty of very good MF lenses at this focal length that can be put on tilt adapters - The Hassy 120 macro Planar being the obvious choice. Please Canon  - get that 45mm TS-E II out of the door ASAP!

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2017, 06:58:57 am »

The 24mm TS-E II is as near to perfection for a 24mm lens as it's possible to get  - unless they can make it significantly smaller and lighter with no loss of optical performance I very much doubt there are plans to 'upgrade' it. The 17mm is not as good - the focus shift and warped plane of focus could be sorted to bring it nearer to the performance of the 24mm. The 45mm has desperately needed upgrading for years. I'm finding it difficult to see a requirement for shift lenses in longer focal lengths as the converging verticals are far less extreme and easily corrected in software with little loss of quality. Tilt is obviously an advantage for macro or studio work but there are plenty of very good MF lenses at this focal length that can be put on tilt adapters - The Hassy 120 macro Planar being the obvious choice. Please Canon  - get that 45mm TS-E II out of the door ASAP!

i bought my nikon 45pce in 2009 so that is 8! years ago. (that one still can do its trick at 46 MP ...)
Even back then the Canon people were complaining about the 45TS lens- yes it is about time they updated the lens.
On the nikon side the 24mm PCE is due for an update. The 19mm PCE is really excellent, but with a price.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

shadowblade

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2017, 07:43:12 am »

It can do better:

- Tilt and shift settings recorded in EXIF, for automatic correction of aberrations via profile (especially CA when shifted - this is a big one)
- Increased edge sharpness when shifted - the edges could be better, as they are currently outdone by both the Canon 11-24 and Sony 12-24 at the same off-axis angle (i.e. set to 14-15mm).
- 7 or 9 aperture blades instead of 8, for better sunstars

The 17mm is incredibly good, considering the off-axis angle of the shifted edges - equivalent to a 10.2mm lens. Still, automatic aberration correction would make a significant difference.

Still, 8 years of lens development goes a long way - Canon has advanced leaps and bounds in UWA lens sharpness in that time, and updated versions would undoubtedly do a lot better. Remember the 16-35L II and 14L II, with their nearly-unusable corners?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up