Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 184   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 3  (Read 386342 times)

francois

Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #2580 on: April 02, 2019, 04:24:07 am »

This one is superb with those golden onions domes.
Well done!
Francois

Rob C

« Reply #2581 on: April 02, 2019, 03:21:09 pm »

Reminder to self that the tourist season begins now.

John R

« Reply #2582 on: April 02, 2019, 07:39:50 pm »

Visiting the butterfly conservatory reminds me of spring!

JR

« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 08:34:58 pm by John R »

John R

« Reply #2583 on: April 04, 2019, 09:17:17 am »

A little known access road on the way back from the butterfly conservatory. Accessible only after winter.

JR

« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 08:32:48 pm by John R »

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2584 on: April 07, 2019, 02:25:31 pm »

Shot it a fraction too late (chalk that up to mirrorless). No double meaning or twist, it ain't street. It was shot at the airport, but that doesn't make it travel atmospherics either. Just upping the image quotum.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #2585 on: April 07, 2019, 02:32:03 pm »

I like it, great shot...

Shot it a fraction too late (chalk that up to mirrorless) How so?

Peter

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2586 on: April 07, 2019, 02:54:18 pm »

I like it, great shot...

Shot it a fraction too late (chalk that up to mirrorless) How so?

Peter

The people silhouettes would be better framed centered in a windowpane, which is less than half a second  before this. The dinky toy camera is cracked, which had an effect on the required shutterbutton pressure, so it may be just me.
Regards,
~ O ~

Rob C

« Reply #2587 on: April 07, 2019, 02:57:37 pm »

Good photo, Oscar.

Too late because you wanted to frame them more centrally in the windows? It would have been cute, but I wouldn't let that worry you one bit - it works well as it is.

Regarding your humour re. genres: my own pix today are mostly in a slot that has little genre value or, really, type identity; I also realised a short while ago that, in fact, none of my recent work even tries to be particularly dramatic and/or outstanding. What it turns out to have been all along is a record of what I have found interesting to me, with nothing whatsoever to do with suitability for display as decoration or anything else that suggests making a print and, therefore, a statement of some sort. It's quite apart from that concept of making pictures. I feel you work along similar beliefs.

Rob

P.S.

Oops! You beat me to the button by a second or two!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 03:00:43 pm by Rob C »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2588 on: April 07, 2019, 04:01:13 pm »

... my own pix today are mostly in a slot that has little genre value or, really, type identity; I also realised a short while ago that, in fact, none of my recent work even tries to be particularly dramatic and/or outstanding. What it turns out to have been all along is a record of what I have found interesting to me, with nothing whatsoever to do with suitability for display as decoration or anything else that suggests making a print and, therefore, a statement of some sort. It's quite apart from that concept of making pictures...

I'd call it an introspective genre.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2589 on: April 07, 2019, 04:07:24 pm »

It's quite fine just as it is.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2590 on: April 07, 2019, 04:22:02 pm »

It's quite fine just as it is.

I'll drink to that!

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #2591 on: April 07, 2019, 04:38:03 pm »

...Regarding your humour re. genres: my own pix today are mostly in a slot that has little genre value or, really, type identity; I also realised a short while ago that, in fact, none of my recent work even tries to be particularly dramatic and/or outstanding. What it turns out to have been all along is a record of what I have found interesting to me, with nothing whatsoever to do with suitability for display as decoration or anything else that suggests making a print and, therefore, a statement of some sort. It's quite apart from that concept of making pictures. I feel you work along similar beliefs.

Rob, it's what many of us I do. Whether it ends up looking decorative or being printed is largely by the by and certainly not what compels us me to make the image.

Rob C

« Reply #2592 on: April 07, 2019, 05:38:42 pm »

I'd call it an introspective genre.

I really wonder if it can even be that, because it isn't something that comes from inner broodings - rather is it just something that snaps into focus as I come upon it. I do, however, accept that mood (that I'm in at the time) may well be the trigger to the vision that comes up. Only rarely do I plan anything. Truth to tell, I probably winged pretty much all my work as few folks gave me layouts to follow. Maybe I was lucky that way and got to do a lot of what I liked except for some vital occasions that meant I didn't even get to have a say on the choice of model. Those gigs never gave me much joy. It hurt so much I even decided to mention it somewhere on my website; yeah, at the end of the blurb at the top of the "Calendars" gallery. Teardrops in heaven.

However, the abandoned power station series was intentional, so there is ever the exception to things.

Rob C

« Reply #2593 on: April 07, 2019, 05:55:50 pm »

Rob, it's what many of us I do. Whether it ends up looking decorative or being printed is largely by the by and certainly not what compels us me to make the image.

Maybe I'm just saying that it doesn't matter if the shot's much good or not, just that it prompted a shot - probably to see how it would look post-Photoshop. Now that line's so close to both Winogrand and (so he claims) Meyerowitz as to be in danger of being thought plagiarism.

:-)

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2594 on: April 07, 2019, 08:13:14 pm »

... Teardrops in heaven.

However, the abandoned power station series was intentional, so there is ever the exception to things.

"Ghost Flyers in the Sky" was another stand out imo. Usually I do look for at least an attempted congruent "narrative" in a picture. Whether that narrative was initially an intuitive capture, is largely academic. You tell us to use our underbelly for image capture. Perhaps that underbelly is quite comprehensive in its assessment. Not only in the beauty of composition and light, but additionally in congruence and narrative.

See beautiful light
See plane, smokey mist, and signs pointing at sky
Run through associations
Capture plane + mist + signs
End up with congruent narrative

Clearly you didn't sit there for an entire lunch session contemplating all associations, solving a crossword puzzle to feed your language appetite, then deciding which camera may best capture whatever your rational brain came up with... Yada yada

Intuition already solved the important bits before you even managed to move your camera up to your eye. Your underbelly only had to move the lazy rest of your body for the right composition.

Of course, you already know what I think about underbellies: they are primarily useful for detecting an empty stomach, not an empty brain. Which would explain the existence of 99.999% of all images we encounter today...
Regards,
~ O ~

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2595 on: April 08, 2019, 03:53:50 am »

I'll drink to that!

I see the germ of a jolly fine evening there, Slobodan.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #2596 on: April 08, 2019, 04:19:20 am »

"Ghost Flyers in the Sky" was another stand out imo. Usually I do look for at least an attempted congruent "narrative" in a picture. Whether that narrative was initially an intuitive capture, is largely academic. You tell us to use our underbelly for image capture. Perhaps that underbelly is quite comprehensive in its assessment. Not only in the beauty of composition and light, but additionally in congruence and narrative.

See beautiful light
See plane, smokey mist, and signs pointing at sky
Run through associations
Capture plane + mist + signs
End up with congruent narrative

Clearly you didn't sit there for an entire lunch session contemplating all associations, solving a crossword puzzle to feed your language appetite, then deciding which camera may best capture whatever your rational brain came up with... Yada yada

Intuition already solved the important bits before you even managed to move your camera up to your eye. Your underbelly only had to move the lazy rest of your body for the right composition.

Of course, you already know what I think about underbellies: they are primarily useful for detecting an empty stomach, not an empty brain. Which would explain the existence of 99.999% of all images we encounter today...

Yes, the comment about intuition is important. It's why the "underbelly" has to be developed until it's capable of rumbles of its own, and I think that comes about from looking at a lot of pictures over a long stretch of time. That department has to be nourished, if not exactly educated to the degree that it becomes incapable of original thought. Of course, there are always those who need no nourishment, coming into this world with an advanced underbelly that inspires others, but I guess they are few.

A factor that forces individuality is location: you can seldom photograph what isn't available to you. My Zabriskie Point snaps are never going to be worked on on my monitor.

;-)

Rob C

« Reply #2597 on: April 08, 2019, 04:42:22 am »

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #2598 on: April 08, 2019, 04:54:52 am »

Intuition, instinct, underbelly, gut, call it what you will.

Up until a few years ago my cameras were bolted to a tripod, shot selection and shooting was a far more considered and time consuming process, much the same as when there was a paint brush in my hand.

Now, with camera in hand, and the very nature of what it is I'm doing and where I'm doing it, the selection and shooting process by necessity has to be largely governed by intuition, instinct, underbelly and gut.

I'm not at all sure this is facilitated by looking at a lot of pictures, but believe it is something that is there, or indeed not. 

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #2599 on: April 08, 2019, 08:00:01 am »

Intuition, instinct, underbelly, gut, call it what you will.

Up until a few years ago my cameras were bolted to a tripod, shot selection and shooting was a far more considered and time consuming process, much the same as when there was a paint brush in my hand.

Now, with camera in hand, and the very nature of what it is I'm doing and where I'm doing it, the selection and shooting process by necessity has to be largely governed by intuition, instinct, underbelly and gut.

Keith
Try a brush with your new gut...You never know.

Peter
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 184   Go Up