Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 184   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 3  (Read 386366 times)

Telecaster

Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #1640 on: June 18, 2018, 02:33:07 pm »

Hotel California, failed Brutalist edition.  ;)

-Dave-

Rob C

Re: Without Prejudice 3Charen
« Reply #1641 on: June 19, 2018, 07:09:36 am »

Charnel House:

« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 05:06:35 am by Rob C »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #1642 on: June 19, 2018, 10:16:40 am »

You're on a roll, Rob.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #1643 on: June 19, 2018, 10:56:17 am »

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #1644 on: June 19, 2018, 04:17:07 pm »

You're on a roll, Rob.

Mw Too. +2

Peter

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #1645 on: June 19, 2018, 05:35:52 pm »

Summer Birches by Stefan Berndt, auf Flickr

I was too lazy to set up the tripod, thus blurry and/or unsharp . A shame, I know. Like the light anyway.

Rob C

« Reply #1646 on: June 19, 2018, 05:43:03 pm »

You're on a roll, Rob.

Russ, Eric and Peter - thanks for the vote of confidence; it's a bit ironic that that establishment has been waiting for me so long, though I did visit a few years ago, but with a different attitude. Maybe the rain put me in the mood as it did the place. I really have reached a point where sunshine pretty much puts the camera away.

:-)

Telecaster

« Reply #1647 on: June 20, 2018, 12:00:46 am »

I was too lazy to set up the tripod, thus blurry and/or unsharp . A shame, I know. Like the light anyway.

Looks sharp enough to me. But I admit my interest in sharp is fast "on the wane" these days. Nice light for sure, and nice tones in the photo.

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #1648 on: June 20, 2018, 12:04:24 am »

I really like everything on this page so far. Even my own silly snap.  ;D

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #1649 on: June 21, 2018, 10:30:50 am »

Underbelly:

« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 05:06:53 am by Rob C »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1650 on: June 21, 2018, 11:56:05 am »

Cheer up, Rob, not all is lost ;)

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #1651 on: June 21, 2018, 12:25:36 pm »

Russ, Eric and Peter - thanks for the vote of confidence; it's a bit ironic that that establishment has been waiting for me so long, though I did visit a few years ago, but with a different attitude. Maybe the rain put me in the mood as it did the place. I really have reached a point where sunshine pretty much puts the camera away.

Hello Rob, long time no speak.

Is this the place you have been wanting to shoot for ages? I recall you mentioning an industrial type area close by some years ago.

Rob C

« Reply #1652 on: June 21, 2018, 01:31:51 pm »

Hello Rob, long time no speak.

Is this the place you have been wanting to shoot for ages? I recall you mentioning an industrial type area close by some years ago.

Hi Riaan,

Yes, it's only about 20mins away by car (using the by-pass systems to avoid chaotic town traffic) but as with so many things, it gets put to the back of the list... I feel amazed that I still have lists!

Another thing on the list is trying to get official access, but as I am also caught up in the annual shutter-varnishing ritual... for myself, the thing would really come into its own as a location for fashion pix, but as I don't have any of those to do, I suppose I might just shoot stuff and save it as effect files for any model stuff that may come along with the lottery win. I would choose the lottery win first, though.

The heat had started in earnest, but it has been a long, slow winter, not as cold as usual but looong.

All the best to you and the Blonde.

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #1653 on: June 21, 2018, 01:37:39 pm »

Cheer up, Rob, not all is lost ;)

But I am cheerful, Slobodan; either cheerful or high on marine varnish fumes.

At least that's legal here.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #1654 on: June 21, 2018, 02:35:00 pm »

I understand...I pass all kinds of things while I take a drive to clear my head.  I see all kinds of possible subjects. Nothing jumps out on these drives. It takes time for me to be receptive. Often a subject will emerge years later. A certain time of day, a difference in light and weather and all of a sudden I'm into a start of a body of work that could take three years to complete. Totally consuming me...

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #1655 on: June 21, 2018, 03:45:59 pm »

I understand...I pass all kinds of things while I take a drive to clear my head.  I see all kinds of possible subjects. Nothing jumps out on these drives. It takes time for me to be receptive. Often a subject will emerge years later. A certain time of day, a difference in light and weather and all of a sudden I'm into a start of a body of work that could take three years to complete. Totally consuming me...

Peter

Try explaining that to somebody who hasn't spent their life working in the graphic arts!

Though it can be a bit of a real bitch sometimes, I really wouldn't have been able to a work at anything else and stay sane. The beauty of the thing is that you never switch off by the clock: it can be as compelling at midnight as at ten in the morning. Those dry periods we all hit are only - for me - a product, of the amateur state - a luxury, perhaps; it never happened to me during the working years. In fact, my appetite was insatiable.

:-(

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #1656 on: June 21, 2018, 03:59:54 pm »

Try explaining that to somebody who hasn't spent their life working in the graphic arts!

Though it can be a bit of a real bitch sometimes, I really wouldn't have been able to a work at anything else and stay sane. The beauty of the thing is that you never switch off by the clock: it can be as compelling at midnight as at ten in the morning. Those dry periods we all hit are only - for me - a product, of the amateur state - a luxury, perhaps; it never happened to me during the working years. In fact, my appetite was insatiable.

:-(
People not in the arts, whatever type, don't get it...And I think that's a good thing.

Pter

Rob C

« Reply #1657 on: June 22, 2018, 08:49:46 am »

Travelling light:

« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 05:05:16 am by Rob C »

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #1658 on: June 22, 2018, 12:45:54 pm »

Another from a recent trip to Greece. Leica M240, 21mm Super Elmar ASPH.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #1659 on: June 22, 2018, 12:56:09 pm »

Thanks, Keith

I've a few more from the power station visit - surprising what a quick shoot can offer if the place has potential. Reminds me of Bailey's famous throwaway line about Jean Shrimpton: "She's the cheapest model in the world because you only need to shoot half a roll of film and you've got the shot."

I know this is the WP thread, and no how-to-improve-it comments are wanted, but regarding your old guy in India, I just wanted to indicate to anyone wondering about photographic balance etc. that they should consider the sunlit spot on the right, and how well it strikes an equilibrium within the whole. Take that away, and it alters everything. These are the kinds of details that might look accidental but are anything but, and give you immediate framing clues on what feels right as you look through the camera.

As that's dangerously close to describing/defining art, I think it a good moment to retreat.

Rob, I believe you are right. That said, sometimes, particularly when speed is of the essence, framing, by necessity, becomes instinctive rather than considered.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 184   Go Up