Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 184   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 3  (Read 386475 times)

Rob C

Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #1540 on: May 21, 2018, 04:23:00 am »

The Royal Roost. The chair on the right bears a plaque that reads "This chair was used by his Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh..."  Who keeps track of these things? In days gone by there was the Groom of the Stool, but that was a much more intimate throne (and function) :)

Nice image; there's a sense of incipient drama/horror about to be played out, which I think would be totally lost in colour. Where's Jack N.?

Rob C

« Reply #1541 on: May 21, 2018, 04:24:33 am »

My Kinda hunt...Love it.

Peter

Thanks Peter, appreciated.

Telecaster

« Reply #1542 on: May 21, 2018, 03:51:54 pm »

I've stayed in places like that. Depressing, isn't it?

This particular hotel is a favorite of former colleagues of mine when they're in town. Good business location. Oppressively bland: imagine a world where the only colors are beige and taupe.

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #1543 on: May 21, 2018, 04:12:02 pm »

The Royal Roost. The chair on the right bears a plaque that reads "This chair was used by his Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh..."  Who keeps track of these things?

When my pal Patty & I were driving through the American southwest in 1993 we stayed in the "Burt Lancaster Room" at the El Rancho Hotel in Gallup, New Mexico. Apparently ol' Burt had occupied the same room decades earlier while doing location shooting for a film. Anyway, after we unlocked the door and dropped our backpacks on the floor Patty flopped down on the bed. Which squeaked very loudly. "I don't think BURT LANCASTER would've put up with this sh*t!" Patty said, even more loudly. This has been a running joke between us ever since.  :D

-Dave-

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #1544 on: May 21, 2018, 10:45:19 pm »

When my pal Patty & I were driving through the American southwest in 1993 we stayed in the "Burt Lancaster Room" at the El Rancho Hotel in Gallup, New Mexico. Apparently ol' Burt had occupied the same room decades earlier while doing location shooting for a film. Anyway, after we unlocked the door and dropped our backpacks on the floor Patty flopped down on the bed. Which squeaked very loudly. "I don't think BURT LANCASTER would've put up with this sh*t!" Patty said, even more loudly. This has been a running joke between us ever since.  :D

-Dave-

Brings to mind a couple of scenes from Delicatessen, including this one.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1545 on: May 22, 2018, 07:38:02 am »

Brings to mind a couple of scenes from Delicatessen, including this one.

Ha! Delicatessen, the movie! Loved it.

On a totally unrelated note, the art director for the movie was brother of my best man.

Rob C

« Reply #1546 on: May 22, 2018, 08:45:28 am »

Great clip, but totally lost to me sans language...

The girl has a great acting ability, keeping a straight face despite all the undercurrent of later bounces (one might hope), to come...

Having run through all the Engrenages, Braquo and Sopranos episodes, I am now reduced to The Shield - which I find totally wooden (watched five episodes to date) and I began Breaking Bad which had a reasonable pilot, but turned unwatchable for me later on. I also have access to some Brit series too, but just can't relate.

I find European drama much more gripping and complex; so complex at times, that when I get to bed I ask my no-longer-there-wife if she understood what the hell was going on? I suppose it's a combination of hearing getting less focussed as well as dependency (for French) mainly on sub-titles. As for the names of characters - forget it! Even with the Sopranos I could only name the hero/villain, his wife and two brats. The rest of 'em were almost interchangeable - especially the wives - just like different versions of the same focal length lens.

No wonder I spend so much time LuLa-ing! Don't nobody suggest going out to make some pix: done that, got the snaps and then/now what?

Thank goodnes for a little southern music.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 08:59:26 am by Rob C »

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #1547 on: May 22, 2018, 12:13:34 pm »

Great clip, but totally lost to me sans language...

The girl has a great acting ability, keeping a straight face despite all the undercurrent of later bounces (one might hope), to come...

The man has come to fix the squeaky bed. Earlier in the film there were 'bounces' which led to the request for a fix. Rhythm & Squeak
If you can find it, Delicatessen is a wonderful dark comedy from directors Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marc Caro. Other favourites of theirs include City of Lost Children and Amélie (starring Audrey Tautou).

Rob C

« Reply #1548 on: May 22, 2018, 02:34:36 pm »

The man has come to fix the squeaky bed. Earlier in the film there were 'bounces' which led to the request for a fix. Rhythm & Squeak
If you can find it, Delicatessen is a wonderful dark comedy from directors Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marc Caro. Other favourites of theirs include City of Lost Children and Amélie (starring Audrey Tautou).

Thanks for the link! Reminds me of small hotels in rural France, which explains the sudden rash of Ibis chains, etc.! Anything for a good night's sleep!

;-)

Rob

Telecaster

« Reply #1549 on: May 23, 2018, 05:32:09 pm »

From today's park walk. Lotsa ladies out & about with cameras, from young 'uns to even older than me.  ;)  Also saw a guy perched in a tree out over the water, framing up a blackbird with his smartgizmo. Okaaay… I stood by, waiting for a photo op of my own, but though the guy slipped a bit at one point he failed to tumble into the lake. Oh well… I had the Sony A7iii/Techart combo with me, using a 1970s Leitz 40/2 Summicron-C. Lens performs pretty darn well. No magenta edges or astigmatized corners.

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #1550 on: May 23, 2018, 08:43:42 pm »

This evening's Moon. Nice to be able to include some green.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #1551 on: May 24, 2018, 04:21:52 am »

This evening's Moon. Nice to be able to include some green.

-Dave-

I thought they required a bus window. However, grammar explained it all.

;-)

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #1552 on: May 24, 2018, 07:00:55 am »

I thought they required a bus window. However, grammar explained it all.

;-)
Now Rob,
Your still such a youth :~) may you keep it forever!

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #1553 on: May 24, 2018, 07:42:46 am »

Now Rob,
Your still such a youth :~) may you keep it forever!

Peter

I can't avoid it: it comes with the passing of many years...

Rob

armand

• Photos
« Reply #1554 on: May 24, 2018, 03:44:18 pm »

Telecaster

« Reply #1555 on: May 25, 2018, 04:58:27 pm »

Wooden pedestrian street.

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #1556 on: May 26, 2018, 04:25:50 pm »

We had a power brownout in my neighborhood last evening, so rather than watch the next episode of Jessica Jones on my phone (couldn't use the TV) I went outside and took some snaps. Sony/Techart combo with the same 1960 Leitz 50/2 "rigid" Summicron my folks used to document young me (pic 2).

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #1557 on: May 26, 2018, 04:49:16 pm »

We had a power brownout in my neighborhood last evening, so rather than watch the next episode of Jessica Jones on my phone (couldn't use the TV) I went outside and took some snaps. Sony/Techart combo with the same 1960 Leitz 50/2 "rigid" Summicron my folks used to document young me (pic 2).

-Dave-

Young Me is rather misleading; are you sure it's you?

I ask, because the guy in the photo is clearly a piano player, not a guitarist...

:-)

Rob

Telecaster

« Reply #1558 on: May 26, 2018, 11:42:47 pm »

Young Me is rather misleading; are you sure it's you?

I ask, because the guy in the photo is clearly a piano player, not a guitarist...

:-)

Yep! I started plunking on the family piano (my mom played, and was a very fine singer too) as soon as I could manage climbing up on the stool. Started taking formal lessons at age 9, ~5 years before getting my first guitar. I enjoy guitar more but playing piano & other keyboards comes easier. I know I inherited my mom's motor coordination. I even have the same coordination anomaly she had, where when I move a finger on one hand the corresponding finger on the other hand wants to move too. She took piano lessons as a child in part to get this under control. Me too. It actually gets in the way of certain guitar techniques but has also resulted in a unique playing style. You wouldn't know it if you watched me play guitar, but there are certain chord shapes I avoid and others I gravitate to because of this. My childhood & teenage doctor, also my mom's doctor after she got ill, called it "neural crosstalk."

A side effect is that I'm ambidextrous in many ways. I can write as comfortably with my left hand as my right, though I use my right hand nearly all the time 'cuz that's how my mom taught me. Much the same with playing golf, hockey or baseball. As a kid I was a good hockey player. I could easily switch sides, right & left, and outmaneuver the other kids. If I'd been a better skater…  :)

-Dave-

BobDavid

« Reply #1559 on: May 27, 2018, 01:58:14 am »

Early, early '60s baby picture.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 184   Go Up