Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 184   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 3  (Read 386351 times)

Rob C

Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #1080 on: February 03, 2018, 06:30:36 pm »

Gifts are always most welcome...

Peter

I'm always afraid of them, truth to tell.

Imagine if your rich mistress gave you a beautifully wrapped box at Christmas - or birthday, whichever comes sooner - with a brand new Monoc. inside, and you really wanted an M10, but you had only said you like Leica, sort of in passing, one evening... such things could blow your mind right out of your head. You'd have to smile, and look delighted!

These are the sorts of situations that come to mind when it's late, you are tired, and then when you go to the bedroom you realise you'd forgotten to switch on the electric blanket. Oh well, in another twenty minutes it may be worth risking it. God, it's cold in the office/studio/padded cell!

;-)

Rob

Telecaster

« Reply #1081 on: February 03, 2018, 10:35:28 pm »

Seeing as we're into M *theory at the moment, here's one from this evening just before sunset. The lens is a Zeiss Jena 50/1.5 Sonnar in Leica Thread Mount. The serial number dates it to ~1946, but who knows exactly when the parts were made. It could even be a later Soviet fake (though likely not for a number of different reasons, foremost that it focuses accurately throughout its range on Leicas but doesn't do so on Soviet LTM cameras). At f/1.5 you can't let your subject stray far from frame center…not an issue here.  :)

-Dave-

*No, not M-theory.

Rob C

« Reply #1082 on: February 04, 2018, 05:15:39 am »

That's got a lovely glow within the trunk, which I would have expected to be cold and forbidding instead! Very nice shape to everything, but I'm left with a mystery to ponder: from whence the green light? Is it a traffic light suspended on a w¡re I don't see; is it an exotic winter butterfly?

Stringing along with M-Theory: now you understand why I don't take naturally to computers; as with those, my eyes glaze over and it's got nothing to do with physical eyesight problems.

Rob

Telecaster

« Reply #1083 on: February 04, 2018, 03:18:44 pm »

That's got a lovely glow within the trunk, which I would have expected to be cold and forbidding instead! Very nice shape to everything, but I'm left with a mystery to ponder: from whence the green light? Is it a traffic light suspended on a w¡re I don't see; is it an exotic winter butterfly?

The lens has a unique color signature: it tends to make warm colors warmer still and cool colors cooler. It's sharp enough wide open in the center but without the razor-y quality of modern optics. My friend Bruce had it on loan for ages…I fetched it back a few days ago.

The green light is a mystery: no matter how carefully I focus it's always fuzzy.

Stringing along with M-Theory: now you understand why I don't take naturally to computers; as with those, my eyes glaze over and it's got nothing to do with physical eyesight problems.

My physicist friend Kate has in this case much the same reaction.  :D

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #1084 on: February 05, 2018, 04:16:31 pm »

Not to belabor the subject too much (I hope): this is basically the same photo as the earlier one (previous page here) but from a couple hours ago and taken with a 90mm lens at f/2 to help get rid of traffic light distraction while keeping other distractions from creeping in at the frame edges. (I'm rationalizing…the tree trunk makes a good target for keeping up my RF focusing chops given the thoroughly blah weather we're having and my increasing boredom with indoor targets.) Newer lens design too: 1970s (made in 1991) rather than '30s! Different lighting than the earlier pic, but '70s Leitz lenses do have a more green-tilted rendering than Zeiss Jenas.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #1085 on: February 06, 2018, 04:25:37 am »

Not to belabor the subject too much (I hope): this is basically the same photo as the earlier one (previous page here) but from a couple hours ago and taken with a 90mm lens at f/2 to help get rid of traffic light distraction while keeping other distractions from creeping in at the frame edges. (I'm rationalizing…the tree trunk makes a good target for keeping up my RF focusing chops given the thoroughly blah weather we're having and my increasing boredom with indoor targets.) Newer lens design too: 1970s (made in 1991) rather than '30s! Different lighting than the earlier pic, but '70s Leitz lenses do have a more green-tilted rendering than Zeiss Jenas.

-Dave-

Why did you feel the red light to be a distraction?

If anything, I think it added a lovely counterpoint of life to an otherwise cold and gloomy landscape: just by its local warmth it set off the rest of the wintry emotion.

This second shot is more the basis of a heavy catapult. I've been thinking a lot about catapults recently. Regression, I guess.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 04:28:46 am by Rob C »

Telecaster

« Reply #1086 on: February 06, 2018, 03:43:44 pm »

Why did you feel the red light to be a distraction?

If anything, I think it added a lovely counterpoint of life to an otherwise cold and gloomy landscape: just by its local warmth it set off the rest of the wintry emotion.

Oh, I didn't really…thus my "rationalizing" comment. Once I noticed the streetlight was in the frame I even waited for it to turn.  :)  (Not red but green. Not stop but go.)

This second shot is more the basis of a heavy catapult. I've been thinking a lot about catapults recently. Regression, I guess.

Yep, the second pic is just a bullseyed focus test. Fine detail near the edge of what my eyes and the camera's RF can accurately discern. After my dad sawed off the now-missing limb (20+ years ago) he joked that he'd be able to string up a bungee rig during winter and shoot snowballs at passing cars.  :D

-Dave-
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 03:48:08 pm by Telecaster »

Rob C

« Reply #1087 on: February 06, 2018, 05:02:36 pm »

Oh, I didn't really…thus my "rationalizing" comment. Once I noticed the streetlight was in the frame I even waited for it to turn.  :)  (Not red but green. Not stop but go.)

Yep, the second pic is just a bullseyed focus test. Fine detail near the edge of what my eyes and the camera's RF can accurately discern. After my dad sawed off the now-missing limb (20+ years ago) he joked that he'd be able to string up a bungee rig during winter and shoot snowballs at passing cars.  :D

-Dave-

You see? Great minds think alike!

:-)

Rob

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #1088 on: February 09, 2018, 12:29:10 pm »

This one imposed itself on me, somehow. And I got reminded on this thread.

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #1089 on: February 09, 2018, 02:21:15 pm »

As Russ would say, "I was there." And happy just to be so. A full day after storm winds have subsided, the big rollers still crash on the rocks.

churly

« Reply #1090 on: February 10, 2018, 04:27:30 pm »

Sheep Crossing.
Chuck Hurich

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #1091 on: February 11, 2018, 09:17:14 am »

One day i'll go there, check that there are no stupid cars in sight, then set up my camera on a tripod and myself on a folding chair, deadsmackinthemiddleoftheroad (motorized traffic isn't really allowed there, don't worry), and then i'll just wait... and wait...

Until then you'll just have to ignore the car.

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #1092 on: February 11, 2018, 09:31:13 am »

Meanwhile grandma is wondering what all the fuzz is about with some idiot below  deadsmackinthemiddleoftheroad on a folding chair. She's clearly the square type...
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #1093 on: February 11, 2018, 01:10:29 pm »

Or you could just clone it out with an hour or two in PhotoShop.   ;)

P.S. Square Granny is very nice; no cloning needed.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Richowens

« Reply #1094 on: February 11, 2018, 01:57:52 pm »

Car?

Rob C

« Reply #1095 on: February 11, 2018, 04:36:18 pm »

One day i'll go there, check that there are no stupid cars in sight, then set up my camera on a tripod and myself on a folding chair, deadsmackinthemiddleoftheroad (motorized traffic isn't really allowed there, don't worry), and then i'll just wait... and wait...

You're kidding: the car mates with the colours on the right and sits just right with the woman with the backlit hair, which is always nice to watch.

Rob

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #1096 on: February 11, 2018, 04:41:54 pm »

But the woman with the backlit hair is much prettier than the car.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #1097 on: February 12, 2018, 04:36:58 am »

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 04:41:57 am by Rob C »

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #1098 on: February 13, 2018, 06:42:59 am »

Snow shower over Somerset

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website