Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 184   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 3  (Read 386399 times)

Rob C

Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #660 on: November 29, 2017, 04:21:50 pm »

The shop used to be a newsagent's base, where he went after being hoofed out of his original spot in the main square in order to make way for a café run by a family with far deeper pockets and many more businesses.

He was eventually displaced from this site (in the snap) by another firm running a wine bar venture. This ran for some years and then gave way to this rag shop. I'm not sure whether this is just a "sale" or a winding up venture... I should know by Easter when the town wakes up again. If this one stays snoring, then the truth will out...

The newspaper seller? He's still business, but a second-string shop, a book store that he ran, also went dodo hunting and has been a clothes emporium for some time. Culture? Maybe the pearls.

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #661 on: November 29, 2017, 04:45:34 pm »

I used to use Italian espresso things - double aluminium jars with a compartment between top and bottom sections for the ground coffe beans,

Il biglietto, non ?

I actually like the ritual of making the coffee more than drinking it, I think... so I have an Italian all manual espresso machine and a grinder. Wastes at least 10 minutes of my morning in an enjoyable way. At work though it's the dreaded (copy of a)nespresso capsule.

This one has no relation to coffee

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #662 on: November 29, 2017, 04:46:24 pm »

... whereas this one does.

Rob C

« Reply #663 on: November 29, 2017, 05:00:41 pm »

... whereas this one does.

I hate that you have so many options!

I really need to go somewhere else with people...

;-)

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #664 on: November 29, 2017, 05:43:11 pm »

Il biglietto, non ?

I actually like the ritual of making the coffee more than drinking it, I think... so I have an Italian all manual espresso machine and a grinder. Wastes at least 10 minutes of my morning in an enjoyable way. At work though it's the dreaded (copy of a)nespresso capsule.

This one has no relation to coffee

No, not the ticket at all! My natural suspicion always had me think that yes, this was the day that the thing would explode and kill me. We bought a stainless steel version by another maker and used that for some years, mainly because of the bad vibes attached to aluminium and food consumption. But all in all, without my better-half to enjoy it with me, it seems too much bother for what it's worth, especially the coffee powder packets which used to last me too long. Dow Egbert or something like that. We used to enjoy a locally ground one, but the little company that did the grinding and packaging vanished... progress.

Nescafé is not too bad once you get used to it; much like anything, really. But I get my café coffees out of their Italianate machines... nothing like the home stuff - ever. Can't beat a good big 'un.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #665 on: November 29, 2017, 06:48:20 pm »

in the park

Telecaster

« Reply #666 on: November 30, 2017, 12:29:13 am »

I only found one leaf during my park walk yesterday.  :)

-Dave-

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #667 on: November 30, 2017, 03:24:54 am »

-Dave-

... a very fine one, though :)

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #668 on: November 30, 2017, 09:16:36 am »

-Dave-

Lovely image.

I can contribute if your park needs a few more. This year we had someone else rake our fall leaves. In the past, I've collected over 100 bags of them off our "lawn". Around here, other people take them away even before the town pickup. Some use the leaf-filled bags as extra winter insulation around the base of their homes. One gent takes lots of bags to compost on his Christmas tree farm. I tried to float the "rake your own" idea (like the U-Pick berry farms), but no one was interested.  :)

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #669 on: November 30, 2017, 09:23:41 am »

I usually walk the local trails, but sometimes my wife and I drive to the ocean (20-30 minutes) for a morning walk.  This is Green Bay (Nova Scotia), on a blustery day. The light kept changing, and the waves were mesmerizing as always.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 12:06:17 pm by JNB_Rare »

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #670 on: November 30, 2017, 09:36:05 am »

The waves are still mesmerizing, even after traveling the internet.

Bruce

Rob C

« Reply #671 on: November 30, 2017, 10:42:03 am »

I usually walk the local trails, but sometimes my wife and drive to the ocean (20-30 minutes) for a morning walk.  This is Green Bay (Nova Scotia), on a blustery day. The light kept changing, and the waves were mesmerizing as always.

Strange, the rocks in the black/white: they have the appearance of wet coal! I like that shot a lot.

Rob

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #672 on: November 30, 2017, 11:45:20 am »

Thien Hau Temple

Telecaster

« Reply #673 on: November 30, 2017, 04:36:22 pm »

Strange, the rocks in the black/white: they have the appearance of wet coal! I like that shot a lot.

Me too!

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #674 on: November 30, 2017, 04:42:34 pm »

Speaking of leaves, my maple trees still have lotsa dead ones left. They’re usually down by now. Then again everything has been a little late weather-wise this year.

-Dave-

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #675 on: November 30, 2017, 11:50:02 pm »

Speaking of leaves, my maple trees still have lotsa dead ones left. They’re usually down by now. Then again everything has been a little late weather-wise this year.

-Dave-

Here, autumn has lasted longer than usual, yet not as colourful as most years. A few leaves hang on in the deciduous trees, but it's looking like early December for sure. This was shot in rain that became snow overnight, but it didn't last.

Rob C

« Reply #676 on: December 01, 2017, 02:53:14 pm »

I remarked recently about an attempt to do a snatched snap using the iPad (at least, I think it was here that I was on that topic); my point was that it was far too wide-angled a lens the device uses. In the snap, the subject was no more than about two feet or so away, outside a widow with myself inside, looking out.

This crop is about an eighth of the frame - stupidly, when I got it into the computer, I immediately cropped it to suit what I'd had in mind, and naturally, hoofed it out of the iPad too, so I can no longer refer back to the original. However, I suppose that what it may show is that in extremis, it isn't a total loss, though the cellphone would be far more discreet! Nonetheless, far too close for comfort or reasonable perspective.

The lashes are very crisp in the original.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 05:52:53 am by Rob C »

Telecaster

« Reply #677 on: December 01, 2017, 08:39:16 pm »

Yes, the iPad lens is on the wide (though not wild) side: ~75° diagonally in the native 4:3 aspect ratio. Same with iPhone standard lenses. (Newer models have a second, longer lens as well.) Much like a 28mm lens in the now Really Big “full frame” format. I’d use my phone cam a lot more if it were in the 35–40mm equiv. range.

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #678 on: December 01, 2017, 08:45:02 pm »

Here, autumn has lasted longer than usual, yet not as colourful as most years. A few leaves hang on in the deciduous trees, but it's looking like early December for sure. This was shot in rain that became snow overnight, but it didn't last.

Here’s one from this afternoon’s park walk. Could well be snow covered a week from today if the weather forecast holds up (as it nearly always does now).

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #679 on: December 02, 2017, 04:12:31 am »

Here’s one from this afternoon’s park walk. Could well be snow covered a week from today if the weather forecast holds up (as it nearly always does now).

-Dave-

Is hunting allowed near that trail?

;-)

Rob
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 184   Go Up