Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 184   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 3  (Read 388043 times)

Rob C

Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #640 on: November 25, 2017, 08:08:42 am »

It's a very famous vehicle in France, it was part of the post-WW2 reconstruction. It was the French Kombi, en effet...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_H_Van

Thanks for the info re. the van; the old Alfa I snapped was there on the same day along with some original Jeeps, probably pinched from the military and hidden until it ceased to matter. Oh these Mediterranean customs... !

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #641 on: November 25, 2017, 04:17:46 pm »

Thanks for the info re. the van; the old Alfa I snapped was there on the same day along with some original Jeeps, probably pinched from the military and hidden until it ceased to matter. Oh these Mediterranean customs... !

That article led me to read the one on the Kombi (officially "Volkswagen Type 2"... Type 1 was the beatle, it was before marketing...) which led me to the chicken tax:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

(in case you weren't sufficiently cynical about politics).

Anyway, passing cars:

Rob C

« Reply #642 on: November 25, 2017, 05:17:20 pm »

That article led me to read the one on the Kombi (officially "Volkswagen Type 2"... Type 1 was the beatle, it was before marketing...) which led me to the chicken tax:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

(in case you weren't sufficiently cynical about politics).

Anyway, passing cars:

Big jugs?

;-)

Rob

P.S. My first thought was Leiter; I had another browse through our Lindbergh last night, and almost snapped both ankles when, as I almost nodded off, the tome slid from the protecting pillow on my lap and hit my pins. It's hard getting up off a couch quickly later in life. No, I don't like his images any the more, yet; in fact I think he actually cultivates ugly as a style. He seems to have done so much less with Claudia Schiffer, who at least has a tamed Bardotishness about her, than with the Kristen Macsomebody to whom I have never felt close in my soul. It's a German mystery, a master-race secret, no doubt. Can one say that safely? I'm sure Leica must agree - works for them, the mystery, I mean.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 05:30:38 pm by Rob C »

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #643 on: November 26, 2017, 05:39:57 am »

I guess it depends on what one considers "ugly", which so far as make-up and clothing goes is probably subject to conditioning. I have a more grungy aesthetic and I'd take Linda Evangelista with a bit of grime over any number of plastered and rendered plastic women in immaculate clothes.

I think he's trying for the "off guard" look, ie the real woman behind the performance.... hence showing us the mechanics of the backdrop and so on. Completely fake of course.

The cigarettes annoy me deeply though: I know the fag companies slip zillions under the table to directors willing to have sympathetic characters in their films suck on cancer sticks, so I wonder if he was getting a pay off from Amatil et al?

Yesterday, again:

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #644 on: November 26, 2017, 06:21:11 am »

Sunday morning, was looking for my cleanest dirty shirt to stumble down the stairs with and saw this when I finished scratching in the bedroom cupboard.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #645 on: November 26, 2017, 06:34:58 am »

Ah, Sunday mornings can be good :) And heading up to the southern hemisphere summer, too...

Rob C

« Reply #646 on: November 26, 2017, 08:49:11 am »

I guess it depends on what one considers "ugly", which so far as make-up and clothing goes is probably subject to conditioning. I have a more grungy aesthetic and I'd take Linda Evangelista with a bit of grime over any number of plastered and rendered plastic women in immaculate clothes.

I think he's trying for the "off guard" look, ie the real woman behind the performance.... hence showing us the mechanics of the backdrop and so on. Completely fake of course.

The cigarettes annoy me deeply though: I know the fag companies slip zillions under the table to directors willing to have sympathetic characters in their films suck on cancer sticks, so I wonder if he was getting a pay off from Amatil et al?

Yesterday, again:

Now that's tight framing!

Yes, Evangelista sure was a chameleon, but perhaps that was the influence of Italian Vogue and Steven Meisel.

I smoked until the death from throat cancer of my wife's uncle; I was thirty when I quit - I hope it wasn't too late. Wish I'd never started; smoking whilst printing led to one mother load of spotting!

Just as well coffee tastes fine when cold; just realised that typing has let that happen yet again.

Rob
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 08:53:38 am by Rob C »

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #647 on: November 27, 2017, 08:15:28 am »

(Don't quote me on this, but smoking until you're 40 doesn't change your risk much. problem is, very few people are able to stop...)

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #648 on: November 27, 2017, 12:07:56 pm »

Just as well coffee tastes fine when cold; just realised that typing has let that happen yet again.

Rob

Cold coffee in the studio is a welcomed occurrence...equals a great day's progress. In the event of a bad day, the coffee has been known to hit the canvas.

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #649 on: November 27, 2017, 02:37:00 pm »

Cold coffee in the studio is a welcomed occurrence...equals a great day's progress. In the event of a bad day, the coffee has been known to hit the canvas.

Peter

I wonder if that's why I smoked a lot in the darkroom? Having a lino floor, spilled coffee could have had me slip and break my neck, which might have pleased some, but not the client for whom I was in that room in the first place. I think drinks are better suited for the studio. On the other hand, that had a Lino surface too, so no, smoking was safer.

Would you believe it? Just writing this has given me a flash of sore throat! Where's the coffee?

;-)

Rob

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #650 on: November 27, 2017, 02:50:29 pm »

In the process to tidy my archives (call me Sisyphus, as I won't get it done ever) I came across this older picture. Still like the stage like character.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 02:57:22 pm by farbschlurf »

Telecaster

« Reply #651 on: November 27, 2017, 04:47:47 pm »

I love cold press coffee when the weather is warm. (Cold press is a variant of cold brew but made with a French Press.) Very little bitterness.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #652 on: November 28, 2017, 04:36:41 am »

I love cold press coffee when the weather is warm. (Cold press is a variant of cold brew but made with a French Press.) Very little bitterness.

-Dave-

No bitterness in mine at all: powder, Nescafé Classic Descafeinado (Con aroma a café recién molido) with a little milk - never any sugar.

I used to use Italian espresso things - double aluminium jars with a compartment between top and bottom sections for the ground coffe beans, but as with so much in life, not worth the hassle for one person. Both my mother and Ann's mother were good cooks: after being widowed neither seemed to cook anything again beyond subsistence level food. I understand completely, though I did not, and would chide them for neglecting themselves.

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #653 on: November 28, 2017, 08:20:20 am »

I came across this older picture. Still like the stage like character.

Now I'm obsessed: is that a horse or a cow off to the right, and what is it doing?

degrub

« Reply #654 on: November 28, 2017, 08:26:47 am »

looks like a brace of horses to my eye.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #655 on: November 28, 2017, 08:28:06 am »

Now I'm obsessed: is that a horse or a cow off to the right, and what is it doing?

Siamese-twins horse(s)?  ;)

Rob C

« Reply #656 on: November 28, 2017, 10:55:55 am »

Siamese-twins horse(s)?  ;)

Don't be naïve, Slobodan: attempted bonding, obviously.

Rob

Telecaster

« Reply #657 on: November 28, 2017, 05:29:13 pm »

Had a lovely afternoon at the park. Temp ~60°F, though it tumbles back to the normal low 40s tomorrow. I used a just-acquired Leitz 90/4 Elmar, the kinda/sorta rare three-element version made from 1964–68. When I was a kid my dad had this same version for a few years before moving it on, I think to his ‘tog friend Ben. “Too long for me,” he later said when I asked him about it. He was a diehard 50mm guy. Anyway, I still have his “rigid” Summicron along with a replacement for the rarely used 35/2.8 Summaron pilfered in a house break-in decades ago…and now the Elmar completes the set!

-Dave-

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #658 on: November 29, 2017, 09:22:44 am »

The End is Nigh... and also thigh high.

Telecaster

« Reply #659 on: November 29, 2017, 04:10:18 pm »

I presume the shop window “models” are the three guys in the photo within the photo after some months of reduced but not yet dissolved circumstances.

-Dave-
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 04:13:56 pm by Telecaster »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 184   Go Up