Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Observations on Chroma Optimizer (“CO”) Usage Canon Pro-1000 Printer  (Read 48460 times)

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
Re: Observations on Chroma Optimizer (“CO”) Usage Canon Pro-1000 Printer
« Reply #140 on: March 31, 2019, 10:08:42 am »

Thank you for this info. After reading this thread I decided to go with the Epson SC-P5000 instead of Canon Pro-1000.

I am not so sure that the SC-P 5000 is not using a considerable amount of ink for maintenance. Mark Segal, who owns one, reported in the forum (I didn't bookmarked the conversation) that the printer performs from time to time a big cleaning routine which consumes a significant amount of ink and there is always the ink used in the black ink type swap. Only in the long run and after detailed measurements and logging can someone state with confidence that it is more ink/cost efficient than the Canon.

Following is another view on the Canon 1000 cost per print based on my notes. If a PFI-1000 cartridge costs 60$ then the ink cost for a 17x22 is about 4.5$ including the ink used for maintenance. Add to this something like 6.5$ for a sheet of the best baryta paper and the total cost per print at 11$ sounds logical.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 10:27:25 am by Panagiotis »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #141 on: March 31, 2019, 10:22:01 am »

Roughly every six months the user is advised on the LCD to perform an all-channel deep cleaning from the Admin panel. It is not mandatory, but advised to maintain the health of the print head. If this sounds like the six-monthly call from the dentist to get your teeth cleaned, the analogy isn't too bad. Neither is mandatory and both are probably good for your health or your printer's health, except the cost of the Epson procedure is typically less than that at the dentist, at least here in Toronto. It uses about 70ml, so roughly CAD 70.

The ink swap uses probably about $5 worth of ink.

If the P5000 has been left unused for a week or more, the printer will do an auto-clean that is beyond user control. This auto-clean, one can tell from listening to it and timing it, does not consume much ink (again, I fault both Canon and Epson for their secrecy over the use of ink for maintenance). Apart from that, the user maintains complete control over the extent of cleaning a P5000, which is a feature I like. I accept all these pigment-based printers consume a fair bit of ink for maintenance, but I like to be able to control it myself and know what's going on.

Hard to say which model consumes more or less ink for maintenance without keeping careful records and similar usage patterns for both, involving the weight of the maintenance tanks at timed intervals under similar conditions. This is very hard for anyone to do, and as such makes these comparisons hazardous. At the same time, for me, this would be a low-priority variable for making a decision on which printer to buy. I could go into that, but I have before elsewhere and it would off-topic here.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Tibor O

« Reply #142 on: March 31, 2019, 10:36:36 am »

Agree. It is, at least for me, a hard decision between the two.

After reading many threads on this forum about both printers I found two more pluses for the Epson SC-P5000 as almost all posters note that the image quality on both is excellent:

1. Longer lasting inks, thus easier to sell prints as archival to clients.

2. 20% cheaper ink price per ml: Canon uses 80 ml ink tanks priced at 47,90 € in my country (0,59875 € per ml) and the Epson uses 200 ml ink tanks priced at 96,16 € (0,4808 € per ml).

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #143 on: March 31, 2019, 02:11:39 pm »

Agree. It is, at least for me, a hard decision between the two.

After reading many threads on this forum about both printers I found two more pluses for the Epson SC-P5000 as almost all posters note that the image quality on both is excellent:

1. Longer lasting inks, thus easier to sell prints as archival to clients.

2. 20% cheaper ink price per ml: Canon uses 80 ml ink tanks priced at 47,90 € in my country (0,59875 € per ml) and the Epson uses 200 ml ink tanks priced at 96,16 € (0,4808 € per ml).
Point #1 is arguable.  Print permanency is as dependent on the paper as the ink set.  If you use any paper with OBAs and TiO it really doesn't matter about the ink set, the paper is the weak link. 

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #144 on: March 31, 2019, 05:35:45 pm »

This is perhaps OT for this thread, but if your talking about the relative merits of inksets, it wouldn't do any harm to mention in passing that the SC-P5000 is capable of greater gamut volume than either the SC-P800 or the Pro-1000. How many photos can really benefit from this additional capability is an open question, varying by subject matter of course.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up