Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Whose photos would you like to have on your walls?  (Read 22183 times)

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Re: Whose photos would you like to have on your walls?
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2017, 02:06:37 pm »

I like so many images it's hard to just drop names but of course I love the old masters' and big names work (Adams, Bresson, Maier, Till, Klein, and many more) and would be thrilled to own some.

Currently I think I only own a single photo by from anyone even semi-famous. It's a Jimmy Chin B&W image from Everest and I do love it and his vision and ability to get the shot in very harsh conditions. I'd love more of his work or his buddy Renan Ozturk. Those are the guys I try to emulate with my adventure photography.
-MattB

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2017, 05:01:11 pm »

arriving at whatever destination as a virgin; a born-again one, it must be said.

You may be interested to know that so far as the medical profession in France is concerned, the hymen was only discovered in the 19th century. Midwives had been talking about it for centuries of course, but how could serious Medical Men trust them?
Presumably virginity itself was recognised as a pre-existing condition in earlier times, viz La Pucelle d'Orléans (Joan of Arc) and the Mary character.

So you can possibly skip the reconstructive surgery.

Personally I'd take my clothes: buying new ones is such a pain. I was looking over the shoulder of a colleague reading one of my emails, which also showed my official ID photo: I realised I was wearing the same jumper I had for that photo when I arrived 9 years ago.

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2017, 11:11:43 pm »

One of my hobbies has been to visit bookshops, galleries and museums and look at photography. Then grab a meal (the two seem to go together) and later do a little street photography. I've been doing that on and off over forty years.

I've just sold my house and have bought an off the plan apartment. It is full of brand new furniture, appliances etc. All easy to maintain in my retirement.

The walls are covered with my paintings and photographs. Plus textiles from my trips overseas. I have one painting by my friend Tim, he has a painting in James Packer's Sydney apartment (think billionaire ex fiancé of Mariah Carey).

So forty years looking at photographers' work I now had a bit of spare cash. Trent Parke was my natural choice.

The Black Rose

Cheers,

Tom Brown

RPark

• Raymond Parker Photography
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2017, 12:05:52 am »

No question -- Manuel Alvarez Bravo.

Rob C

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2017, 12:34:15 pm »

You may be interested to know that so far as the medical profession in France is concerned, the hymen was only discovered in the 19th century. Midwives had been talking about it for centuries of course, but how could serious Medical Men trust them?
Presumably virginity itself was recognised as a pre-existing condition in earlier times, viz La Pucelle d'Orléans (Joan of Arc) and the Mary character.

So you can possibly skip the reconstructive surgery.

Personally I'd take my clothes: buying new ones is such a pain. I was looking over the shoulder of a colleague reading one of my emails, which also showed my official ID photo: I realised I was wearing the same jumper I had for that photo when I arrived 9 years ago.

That's interesting; I believe that people have been looking for it for quite a long, long time. However, by the time midwives get involved, I presume it's a little bit too late to find very much evidence of it, one way or the other. I'm led to believe it's a little bit like the quest for the Holy Grail: now you see it, now you don't - quite confusing, I imagine, and possibly a concept best left to its own devices.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it has deep Haitian/African origins, and is celebrated in a ritual that has something to do with rolling around in a river of mud and making very round eyes at nothing in particular. I'm told that with obsessive thinking about it, the smoking of interesting varieties of weed, it's possible to conjour up the image of a lady photographer from Magnum, thus fulfilling one of the deeper, key emotional goals of the mud ritual.

We live in amazing times.

Rob

tom b

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2017, 02:32:32 pm »

This is not the Coffee Corner, it shouldn't be so hard to keep a topic on your favourite photographers you'd like to hang on your walls on topic.

I'd love to have a Peter Dombrovskis print on my walls. Unfortunately keeping control of a deceased estate doesn't mean that quality control will rule.

A Jerry Uelsmann print is pricey but still affordable compared to an original painting by my favourite Australian painter Fred Williams which would probably cost a hundred times what a decent print would cost.

Cheers,

Tom Brown

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2017, 03:22:55 pm »

This is not the Coffee Corner, it shouldn't be so hard to keep a topic on your favourite photographers you'd like to hang on your walls on topic.

I'd love to have a Peter Dombrovskis print on my walls. Unfortunately keeping control of a deceased estate doesn't mean that quality control will rule.

A Jerry Uelsmann print is pricey but still affordable compared to an original painting by my favourite Australian painter Fred Williams which would probably cost a hundred times what a decent print would cost.

Cheers,

This is very true, Tom, but there's a big elephant running amok here in this tiny room: there are very few photographers who fit the bill.

So, sorry for the derailing, but apart from a couple of Sarah Moon photographs, there's nobody to add. As I wrote, books are better. Of course, if you are a volume junkie, then I could always write you a comprehensive list of all the photographers whose work I like but it wouldn't get anyone anywhere fast.

sailronin

• David Reams Photography
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2017, 09:55:13 am »

Weston's "Pepper #30"
Adams' "Storm Clearing over Half Dome"
Paul Strand's "Taos Church"
Thank you for looking, comments and critiques are always welcome.
Dave

http://sailronin.smugmug.com

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2017, 11:49:37 am »

To answer the question: my own. And that's exactly what I have throughout the house: About 15 17 x 22s framed 20 x 27, and a plethora of other sizes here and there.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2017, 05:25:23 pm »

A slight digression: I have some signed Grahame Sydney prints of his paintings. He was a friend of my dad's and he gave me a few for my first house. To get back on topic, he is doing photography now so I may need to pick up something new.
-MattB

hogloff

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2017, 07:12:17 pm »

My own...that is why I take photos. Why should I put other's work on my walls when I have plenty of my own?

tom b

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2017, 09:58:25 am »

My own...that is why I take photos. Why should I put other's work on my walls when I have plenty of my own?

You haven't followed the post.

"If you had a windfall whose photos would you hang on your walls?" Obviously you are not going to pay for your own photographs!

My allegiances are split between printers and "photographers".

I'd be very happy to have a Grant Mudford or Murray Fredericks Australian print on my walls. Trent Parke is my favourite Australian photographer, Grant and Murray make great prints which I would be very happy to have on my walls.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 11:57:53 am by tom b »
Tom Brown

Otto Phocus

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2017, 01:24:45 pm »

If I really had to display photos on my walls - and I'd really rather not - I'd opt for those of others rather than my own.

I agree.  I think it is a bit unseemly to hang your own photographs on your own walls.  Appears like you would be looking for complements from guests.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2017, 01:48:18 pm »

I have a mix of mine and other works I admire. Mine are mostly there either because of sentimental value or just storage. I often rotate what is hanging at home based on what didn't sell at the gallery and just needs to be rotated and stored somewhere. Why not on my wall?
-MattB

RSL

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2017, 06:08:28 pm »

If I really had to display photos on my walls - and I'd really rather not - I'd opt for those of others rather than my own.

So you don't really believe what you're shooting is worthwhile? Maybe you ought to try some other hobby. Model airplanes maybe?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2017, 09:21:06 pm »

One reason I put my own photos on my walls is so that I can find out how well they "wear" with long term viewing. Do the images themselves have staying power, at least to me?
Sometimes a print only lasts a week until I find it too boring to keep on the wall.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2017, 10:44:39 am »

I spent my entire working life as a painter, illustrator and photographer. Now retired - in the sense that I'm no longer dependent on image making as an income source - I find I'm enjoying making images more than ever.

But you don't enjoy looking at the images you enjoy making since they're no longer an income source?

RSL

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2017, 12:17:22 pm »

Well, "You to your fancy and me to my Nancy," as the old lady said when she kissed her cow.

When I make a shot it's because I've seen something interesting. When my pictures are hanging on the wall I can walk by and experience that interest again.

tom b

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2017, 12:33:41 pm »

Hey, I've named some of my favourite Aussie photographers but I'd also love an Edward Weston, a Paul Strand or maybe a Dorothea Lange on my walls.

Maybe some fairy will make wealthy enough to do that!

Regards,
Tom Brown

RSL

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2017, 02:19:42 pm »

Why all the concern over what I choose or don't choose to display on my own walls?

Obviously because I think it's interesting that somebody who goes out and photographs wouldn't want to see his own work on his walls.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up