Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whose photos would you like to have on your walls?  (Read 22185 times)

Otto Phocus

Re: Whose photos would you like to have on your walls?
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2017, 06:52:07 am »

Happily they can be seen on the walls of many clients.

I too would much rather see my photographs on someone else's wall.  I know how good/bad my photographs are.  I don't need to look at them to remember that.   ;D

But then there are people who like to hang up award certificates on their walls.  In the military we called this an "I love me wall". My certificates are in some box.. somewhere.  I think in the attic. I remember what I did, don't need to see a certificate.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2017, 08:41:41 am »

Lol... an ex was very ironically proud of her "photocopier proficiency" certificate she obtained while briefly trapped in a large bureaucracy  :D

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2017, 08:46:18 am »

Hey, Ralph Gibson, Robert Mapplethorpe or Elliott Erwitt, yes there are some photographer's photos that I'd love to have on my walls. This thread has gone slightly sideways but honestly who's photographs would you love to have on your walls?

Regards,
Tom Brown

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2017, 09:01:07 am »

Happily they can be seen on the walls of many clients.

A fair number of my own can be seen on other people's walls too, but so what? I shoot pictures that are interesting to ME -- not pictures I think might be interesting to others. If others find them interesting, that's neat, but again, so what? It's the difference between "professional" work, meaning work made for profit, and "amateur" work, meaning work made for the love of it.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2017, 11:34:40 am »

Actually, my reason for not having many of m prints on the walls is the same as not having other people's : too many that I like. So I have albums of mine, and books for others.

Paintings, or prints of paintings, get onto the walls however. Including one by me. That's just how it is.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2017, 11:43:56 am »

My favorite pieces at home were done by my art professors. I have three pieces (wood engraving print, oil painting, watercolor), one from each of my three favorite teachers. Two of those guys have passed away so they have become even more special to me.
-MattB

Otto Phocus

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2017, 12:13:55 pm »

My favorite pieces at home were done by my art professors. I have three pieces (wood engraving print, oil painting, watercolor), one from each of my three favorite teachers. Two of those guys have passed away so they have become even more special to me.

Some of those wood engravings I have seen are amazing!  Somethings I think that is an underappreciated art form.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2017, 01:09:06 pm »

Some of those wood engravings I have seen are amazing!  Somethings I think that is an underappreciated art form.

My old professor (Harry Heil, an analog man, hard to find on the Internet!) is truly a master of the medium. He does these giant (like 3'x5') landscapes that are just fantastic and full of texture and detail. He gets high end commissions from big clients like the state of Utah, does a limited run of prints, and then puts a huge gouge through his block to ensure that limited run is all there will ever be. It would break my heart to watch him do it back when I was his student. It made me think of destroying a masterpiece sand painting or burning your negatives after printing but that helped make his work highly sought after and very valuable.
I had him for print making, photography, and watercolor, but his true artistic love is print making. 
-MattB

Otto Phocus

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2017, 01:26:59 pm »

My old professor (Harry Heil, an analog man, hard to find on the Internet!) is truly a master of the medium. He does these giant (like 3'x5') landscapes that are just fantastic and full of texture and detail. He gets high end commissions from big clients like the state of Utah, does a limited run of prints, and then puts a huge gouge through his block to ensure that limited run is all there will ever be. It would break my heart to watch him do it back when I was his student. It made me think of destroying a masterpiece sand painting or burning your negatives after printing but that helped make his work highly sought after and very valuable.
I had him for print making, photography, and watercolor, but his true artistic love is print making.

I am envious of your experience with him. Destroying the block must have been a hard decision.  Even if I had anywhere near that skill, I don't know if I would destroy the block.  I might lock it up and never use it again, but to destroy it after all that work.  Yikes.

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2017, 01:29:08 pm »

I am envious of your experience with him. Destroying the block must have been a hard decision.  Even if I had anywhere near that skill, I don't know if I would destroy the block.  I might lock it up and never use it again, but to destroy it after all that work.  Yikes.

I know!  :'(

I saved mine but I also didn't sell many prints or make any money at it. :)
-MattB

Osprey

« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2017, 08:57:00 pm »

I would get some Burtynsky, maybe from his  Water projct.

I also like Gursky particularly Bahrain.

Matt Black

Steven Shore from Uncommon Places

Aaron Siskind

Richard Mosse, I really like the Enclave, photographing a conflict situation in Eastern Congo on weird and old military spec infrared film.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 09:00:44 pm by Osprey »

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2017, 02:49:04 am »

I wouldn't mind one or three of Rajan's Iceland photos

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2017, 09:35:20 am »

I wouldn't mind one or three of Rajan's Iceland photos
+1.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

TySted

• Ty Stedman Photography
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2018, 07:24:46 am »

I'm not sure if this post is still running but wanted to add my two cents worth.

Some Michael Kenna would be great, definitely some Edward Burtynsky.

But above all else some Bruce Percy, check out his work beautiful use of tone and minimalism.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2018, 10:40:15 am »

Eugene Smith
Selgado
Gursky. But I would need to get bigger walls.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2018, 10:52:01 am »

Work by two Mexican, and one Peruvian artists/photographers:

Graciela Iturbide - Mexico
http://www.gracielaiturbide.org/en

Pedro Meyer - Mexico
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be1dfn8Chl8

Martín Chambi - Perú
https://www.amber-online.com/collection/chambi-collection/

Telecaster

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2018, 04:52:46 pm »

My walls feature a few paintings by my brilliant & talented pal K, one of Akko's old city by my Israeli friend Lev (featuring a tiny rendition of me) and the pretty darn good van Gogh copy mentioned in another thread here awhile back. I've had the odd photo or two on display in past years, but these days I'm more into books. I look at my own photos on my iPad or in 4K on my TV.

-Dave-

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2018, 11:51:38 pm »

If you had a windfall whose photos would you hang on your walls?

Cheers,

Eugene Smith.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

dasuess

« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2018, 12:12:13 pm »

+1 Gene Smith
I was recently at a small venue Graham Nash concert and picked up a B&W print of his of Joni Mitchell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2018, 02:55:26 pm »

I would like to have a huge Lachapelle on the wall. But more than a photo I would like to replace the reproduction Pollock on my wall by a genuine one.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up